How to Help the Infinity Community.

Raindog

How to Help the Infinity Community.

1. Learn the rules to the best of you ability. Most of are so green, we forget the obvious, misread rules, or simply do not know.

2. Participate in the forums. Even if you cannot make events or game nights, you can still make lists, ask questions, make comments, find cool resources, and post cool pictures. Anything can add to the depth of our knowledge and enjoyment of the game.

3. Build models or terrain and post you results, your tips, trials, and techniques. We want to learn.

4. Play. Don't be afraid to lose. Most of us are noobs. We make mistakes. Everybody I have met is kind

and helpful.

5. Come to game nights. They are across the city on different nights. Watch and learn or play.

6. Bring an extra faction and a printed list you would play. It gives others a chance to try the games

without spending cash. I am very grateful to Peanut for sharing his Pan-O.

7. Play to win, but really play to learn. Unless you are at a tournament, help you opponent, especially

new players. Remind them of AROs, rules, etc.

8. Bring terrain to game nights. Private collections are always the best pieces to play around on a table.

9. Bring extra dice, templates, tape measure. Laminate the hacking charts or weapon charts on card

stock and make extras for the group.

10. Trade, share, sell, pass on. Help get others into the community. Exile, Naked Panda, Indytims, Savion,

Don't Panic, and John Allen have all help me.

Cheers,

RD 

• Like 6

nicely put!  i think, just as an additive to #5, we need to get in the ears of some LGS in pdx area about infinity because most seem to have a lack of knowledge of it.  The ones that do(dice age, salty? and red castle) are starting to steadily stock more infinity so reward them with your time/$.  As for the others, just talk to their representatives and be a squeaky wheel.  make a bro-date and haul some terrain/minis/dice to your FLGSs to get the word out about how sweet this game is!  It also attracts those curious eyes of customers in their stores as well and can only be a positive reinforce-r.  so take over their tables!  even if you cant make it on sundays: state your free time and make a date to go to a store that's either nearest to both of you or one you want to visit.  interact as much as you can!  i know most of us are already doing this but just putting fire under the behinds in case someone is shy lol.

• Like 1

Excellent points, and Infinity just seems to appeal to these people for the love of the game, rather than the lust for the win alone.

we use a google group and facebook group up here to post info on, and it has been extremely awesome to see people push away their shyness and come play! Tournaments have been great fun, feeling like marathoning the game rather than throat ripping hahaha

I am PUMPED for Infinity at this coming ofcc! Erik will have another go at laying tire treat tattoos up on my face!

how do people feel about creating a Facebook group for local players(if there isn't one already)? I've joined groups in the past for other games and it always made finding an opponent pretty easy.

the only knock on fb really is for people at work i think where they dont allow it.  its a red flag to any boss that overlooks and sees you on a blue tinted screen(oh wait this is blue tinted haha) lol. 

just tell friends about this forum as here or the game night(when looking for man-dates) are great locations for communicating.  we have our own tab supplied by ordo so lets use it :cool:

let me step back a bit though lol, a facebook group is still a GREAT idea!  cause a lot of people do use facebook when looking for groups and its fast for messaging!  just put some links on it so people can search in ordo as well for people to play that dont use facebook regularly.  i think the thing i dislike about facebook though is when you get about 50+ comments on a post and have to scroll forever to find info you are looking for and get notifications every 2 seconds is annoying lol.  thats what is nicer about a forum like this is its easier to read format i think and accessibility!  Personally, i think we need to find ways to get more people on these forums as well cause its pretty nice to have a local PNW forum like this.  im just all about coming together rather than fractioning into separate small groups :/  im weird lol

• Like 1

The group across the river in Vancouver (WA) has a FB page, and that's how we all keep in touch since I think most of them are not on Ordo. Guys with FB blocked at work either use their phones, or just check after-hours.

But if you guys make one and allow folks from your 'northern suburb' to join, I sure would. I can't make it down there all the time, but I can on occasion and would love to play with some of you guys at some point! :)

-Tim

How to Help the Infinity Community......

Cheers,

RD 

When bringing in new folks, just a few more ideas....

1) Let the new guy use the 'cooler' figs you have. If you have some painted and some not - let them use the painted stuff. If the lists aren't 'balanced' - let them have the stronger stuff. That leads to...

2) ALWAYS Let the new guy win. Most of you will say 'It's just a demo game, it doesn't matter' - but I think if you look real hard, you'll see that we're all mammals, and when it comes to competition (even friendly), deep down we'd still -like- to win. Even if that improves the chances of the person liking the game by 2%, what does it cost -you- to let them win? It's not a tournament - it's a demo!

As I learned in my Outrider/Freelancer/NACORD days - when a noob WINS, they feel empowered and they want to repeat that feeling..

When a noob LOSES, they often feel like a failure or other possible negative feelings, and that leads to a possible lost player.

Some will disagree with me, and that's cool. :)

3) Can't re-iterate it enough like RD said - HELP THEM. If they are gonna miss AROs - point it out. If they are going to make a bad move - show them why. Let them take back bad moves. Don't poke fun at them or let them do it then kill half their guys.

4) Start SMALL. 120-pts, or a starter box. That's it. EASE them into it. Tossing 300 points and 15 orders at them and rocking the advanced rules in the first 15 minutes of a demo game is a surefire way of scaring a potential noob away (and bystanders watching). Instead, ease them into it - 120 pts/starter box, basic rules. Then when you're done, and they've (hopefully) burned you down, and they feel empowered and curious and amazed by the minis - you open the sweet full-color book and say, "... And that was just the beginning..."

5) Don't trash-talk other systems. You hate 40k? That's cool for you. That MIGHT be a perspective noob's favorite game, and if you trash talk it - again, bad image. Besides, trash-talking another system can make a person look very petty. Avoid!

6) Repeat everything RD said. Get a box of terrain together. Bring extra markers/measurin' sticks/dice, etc.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

Your #5 is so important. I see it bubble near the top so often and I can only throw cold water on that so fast. It just gets us no where to treat tabletop hobbying as a zero sum game. Room for all!

I am honestly super sad on the insides from the AoS thing, but I would never stop or impede someone from playing it. I simply could not be dragged in to it myself though. No bad talk needed, despite my great emotion on the matter hahaha

• Like 1