WarPorch Games Day! Nov 21st

fluger

Frostgrave?  Just played it for the first time.  Did a review.  And here it is!

We played FrostGrave.  Its pretty fun.

You essentially customize a Wizard and his apprentice (who both carry the same spells, though as you'd expect, the apprentice isn't nearly as good at casting them) and use your gold to build up a retinue up to 9 men strong including the Wizard himself.  

Like in older Dungeons and Dragons, the wizards have schools of magic and some are opposed and much harder to cast spells from.  The spells are fairly fun.

The purpose of the game is that you all represent rival factions entering a city that was frozen over centuries ago and has now thawed.  its treasure await you and so the rival factions go in and try to grab the treasure and take them out again, like a dungeon crawl.  The interesting things happen when you use your magic to influence the battle.  I for example played an illusionist and he has 8 spells, one of which is called Transpose.  What it does is switches the position of two models that are within 10" of each other.  So as long s you can see them you can do it.  This created all kinds of interesting little rules interactions and allowed me to try and put my guys in better position (because they wer never where you thought they were in the first place, it was all an illusion!)  I could even Teleport!

You play it on what we found out should be a 3x3 board at least, up to a 4x4.  The terrain density is fairly heavy and has a pretty significant impact on the game, much like infinity.  It gave the real sense that you really were having to claw among the ruins and find your treasure while monsters crop up out of nowhere to attack the nearest rival foolish enough to invade their tombs.  

Henchmen come in all kinds of varieties from the doughty Barbarians who are extremely expensive to recruit all the way down to the lowly cudgel wielding thugs who will work for nothing.  You have the Crossbowman, thieves and others inbetween you can hire too.

After you've played a game you can roll for treasure and see what you got out of there with and then buy a base of operations.  You can recruit new members to your band of brothers (no more than the 10 usually) and even sell or buy magic etc...  So its something that you can play as an ongoing thing without the need for much in the way of organization as its kind of a BUILT IN League in the way it plays.  You could even have several different "Campaigns" going at the same time depending on the players.

So its very much like running a dungeon crawl with 3D terrain against rival players ad multiple players can play on the same board.  My guess is that any more than four would be too many but four players could absolutely play it and spend an evening trying desperately to gank each other's treasure and get the F out with it!

The role playing obviously isnt a part of it as it is a wargame in the end, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Koyote is trying to run a 4 person mini "campaign" on the date.  He's got his hands on a few cool rules and such and wants to try it out.

Yes, indeed.

I want to play through The Hunt for the Golem mini-campaign. It’s a 3 game narrative campaign, written by Frostgrave’s creator, Joseph McCullough. The campaign features a new creature (the Granite Golem), 3 new scenarios, and some new magic items. Like all Frostgrave scenarios, the campaign scenarios include rules for multi-player play. I’d like to play each scenario as a 4-player game, but so far I’ve only recruited Fluger, so we need two more players.

All four players will begin the campaign with starting warbands. And since we will be playing in campaign mode, I’d prefer to play with some modifications to the general campaign rules, so that we don’t have to worry about Elementalists and other blasty-blast Wizards dominating the XP race.

I will provide the scenario rules, some very nice terrain and all the models for the Random Encounter creatures. I also have enough models to field two warbands, so if someone wants to try out Frostgrave, but doesn’t have a warband, I’ve got you covered. If you have a warband, you needn’t worry about it being painted.

Oh, and here’s the Granite Golem, the focus of the campaign and our collective nemisis. *insert dramatic music here*

65090.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, I'd love to come down and play in the Frostgrave event if you still have space! I picked up the rules with plans to run the game up here on Orcas this winter with our local club, haven't played it yet but I'm familiar enough with the rules that I'm confident I can jump right in.

I'll have a warband painted by the 21st, and can bring a full table of appropriately frozen terrain as well if that helps out. Let me know -!

Peter

• Like 2

Hey, I'd love to come down and play in the Frostgrave event if you still have space! I picked up the rules with plans to run the game up here on Orcas this winter with our local club, haven't played it yet but I'm familiar enough with the rules that I'm confident I can jump right in.

Peyer, were the first to respond so you are first in line for the last two spots in my Hunt the Golem campaign. And don't worry about being a novice, the 21st will likely be my first game of Frostgrave as well.

What kind of Wizard do you want to use? I plan to play a Summoner and Fluger is going to play a Thaumaturge.

We have one more open slot for my campaign. Who's interested?

As Fluger mentioned, there will be plenty of table space, so if you don't want to play in my campaign, there will be table space and other gamers to play to play against.

• Like 2

Peyer, were the first to respond so you are first in line for the last two spots in my Hunt the Golem campaign. And don't worry about being a novice, the 21st will likely be my first game of Frostgrave as well.

What kind of Wizard do you want to use? I plan to play a Summoner and Fluger is going to play a Thaumaturge.

We have one more open slot for my campaign. Who's interested?

As Fluger mentioned, there will be plenty of table space, so if you don't want to play in my campaign, there will be table space and other gamers to play to play against.

I'm in for the Illusionist.

Dear Mrs. McAxekill,

It is with a heavy heart I write to inform you that your Son, Facestab has fallen in battle. He was an inspiration to the other men and your loss is felt by all.

Sincerely,

Artax Greenhat. Master of Elemental forces, third circle.

You have to run a Sigilist if you want to know how to write.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you who have agreed to join me on this expedition, heed my warning: hunting the Stone Golem will be no easy task. Unlike the Stone Golem's cousin, Fred the Friendly Flesh Golem (pictured below helping a choking adventurer with a whack on the back), the Stone Golem is not at all welcoming to trespassers.

image_zpsdymn73nj.jpeg

• Like 1