Priming with Gesso, anyone tried it?

PourSpelur

Building up some converted Gundam an kits as Gretchin piloted, looted robots (counts-as Riptides). The kits are fantastic! Tons of detail, character and poseability. With all these positives comes a negative though, deep recesses. Deep enough that I don't think spray priming is an answer. From looking into it out looks like the best "brush on" primer is Gesso due to the fact that it shrinks a bit as it dries so those cool details don't get obscured and the brush marks disappear. Anyone have any experience with this method? I'm crazy happy with my modeling results so far and am hesitant to experiment on them.

Thanks!

I made my own primer with Gesso and some matte medium.  Thinned it a little more with airbrush thinner and shot it out through my airbrush.  I don't recall any specific formula, I just mixed it until it felt right.  Do some tests, make sure that the finished coat seems durable.  Don't be afraid to lay down multiple thin coats.   Good luck!

I use white gesso for priming, but I use it way watered down and for only small scale stuff. I have tried it for 28mm and personally I was not very pleased with the results. I found that if i didn't water it down I'd get softened details and often crush strokes. If I did I

Water it down , I would get bubbles in the primer. I've heard black works better, but I've never tried and I can't imagine color would make difference. There is a post somewhere with a few shots of larger scale minis primed with gesso on my blog smallscaleminis.wordpress.com, but mostly about my experience with 6mm scale. I've heard good things about vallejo surface primer brushed on, that's the next thing I'm going to try.

Well Gesso tends to have a very large and non-uniform grain so I'd take steps to get a proper consistency before using it on models. If you have a stainless steel food processing wand you can blend it with water to get a finer grain. 

Honestly I'd probably take a pass on gesso in favor of another liquid primer product. Maybe brush it on to fill the deep recesses and then hit it with some spray after to get a good strong bond.