New SW Rumors

pretre

I'm very sad that none of the formations have a command benefit called "Hungry Like the Wolf." Seems like a missed opportunity.

Double Iron Wolves

*snip*

See, I look at this and basically all I see is a Battle Company without ObSec and with more crappy tax units. No offense to you personally, pretre, but the SW formations just don't impress much. Having all your Drop Pods arrive on turn 1 is kinda neat and could potentially pair well with some of the other turn 1 reserve stuff... but you're spending so much on really mediocre units to enable it that I don't see it actually going anywhere in tournaments.

• Like 2

Yeah, as much as I like the IronWolves, the lack of ObSec is a really big gap here, and the benefits that the Formations provide don't really feel like they're making up for it. Even before the Battle Company benefits, the full ObSec that the Demi-Company provides is pretty strong, and it takes something very compelling to forgo it.

Yeah, as much as I like the IronWolves, the lack of ObSec is a really big gap here, and the benefits that the Formations provide don't really feel like they're making up for it. Even before the Battle Company benefits, the full ObSec that the Demi-Company provides is pretty strong, and it takes something very compelling to forgo it.

Yep,just like Orks,the lack of Objsec screws them out of several cool formations.Almost makes me wonder if the next edition will remove the rule from the game,,or perhaps change the criteria to requiring a unit(or presence) of at least 10 models or something like that.

Anyhow,ill probably pick up the new digital SW dex that includes all the releases up to this point.If I do 40k at OFCC ill try out a themed list using one or more of the new formations:)

I'm very sad that none of the formations have a command benefit called "Hungry Like the Wolf." Seems like a missed opportunity.

See, I look at this and basically all I see is a Battle Company without ObSec and with more crappy tax units. No offense to you personally, pretre, but the SW formations just don't impress much. Having all your Drop Pods arrive on turn 1 is kinda neat and could potentially pair well with some of the other turn 1 reserve stuff... but you're spending so much on really mediocre units to enable it that I don't see it actually going anywhere in tournaments.

Yeah, that's why I'm struggling with a new list. My Battle Company wolves are pretty damn good. I'm trying to find a way to fit a good list into the new framework.

Yep,just like Orks,the lack of Objsec screws them out of several cool formations.Almost makes me wonder if the next edition will remove the rule from the game,,or perhaps change the criteria to requiring a unit(or presence) of at least 10 models or something like that.

Well, Orks are in a bit of a different position- ObSec is certainly nice for them to have (because scoring objectives is how you win the game), but they are an overtly-aggressive army that has never really had any kind of want for a backup plan; they win by killing most or all of the enemy army. Tau are in a similar place, albeit done in a different phase of the game, but both of them are looking to simply eliminate anything that could potentially take objectives from them rather than playing for the game-end and winning on score.

I think ObSec is a better way of scoring things than the old "only troops score" system, because it always felt weird to have nine units sitting on an objective but still lose the game because they came from the wrong slot despite being otherwise-identical. However, their philosophy on who gets ObSec and what formation/detachment benefits are "worth" giving it up for is incredibly haphazard, which is what really what needs to be fixed- not that I expect they will.

That being said, it is a big improvement over just C:SW and CoF.

Well, adding the Wulfen and a few formations and changes to the Iron Priest will help a bit, though I don't think they'll really alter SW's standings in the tournaments much. It actually makes them worse as allies (since you can no longer field an all-characters CotGW detachment to go along with bikes or whatever) and it doesn't really open up any strong builds. Ironwolves superficially resembles a Battle Company, but getting free transports is not the same as getting free upgrades on transports, especially when they lack a lot of the tools (Grav, etc) than SM get.

I wouldn't go far as to say they're any worse off, as the Iron Priest change is really a sidegrade, but...