Feb 27th, Early-War 2016 FoW Tournament @GG (official thread)

barca

We have an odd number of generals.

If we can convince Daniel/apophis93 to join us and bring his British LRDG, then we will have an even number and a balanced roster (Axis vs. Allies).

If not, then convince someone else to join us.

Otherwise, you will be stuck with me splitting my time between running the tournament and pushing my Russians around, to round out the roster.

I cant seem to find rules for adding the small unit of trucks.  It's a Divisional Support unit.  Can you just TAKE those?  Is that why that unit isn't listed anywhere in the army lists?

As near as I can tell, only the Hohei Chutai (Rising Sun p.24) can take a Divisional Transport Platoon.  The Infantry Support Platoons available to the Kokei list does not have access to transports.

As did I.

So....

Plan A then?  I started painting already but I can figure something out.  I'll be painting all night tonight to try and get it at least not hysterically poor (you guys all kind of shame me and my painting, lol).  So do I paint for Plan A or go with Plan B, Barca?

Please be patient, I want to be sure I follow you, here...

If by Plan A and B, you mean

Plan A = original list (no trucks) or

Plan B-1 = second list,with 2 trucks in Kihei Rapid-fire Gun Platoon, and one Pioneer supply truck in Divisional Engineer platoon, then both are legal.

I by "plan B" you mean "Plan B-2", which includes both "Plan B-1" and a division transport platoon of trucks, then go with Plan A. As Dylan pointed out, and I was mistaken in my broad interpretation, the Kihei will NOT get the transport platoon.

As for shame on your painting job, if you are channeling Japanese, then I cannot help you there.

If you are not, then nw, I have seen some of the other armies that are showing up and a less than stellar paint job will have company in that category.

Well poop.

So new conundrum:  because of the truck conversation, I did not go ahead and buy the second set of Type 38's (they do have them at the Game Matrix).  I now no longer have time to actually go get some because I am heading to Portland straight from work at about 2.  Guardian Games doesn't have them (I checked). 

So can someone donate some type 38 75mm guns?  

I own a set of woodpeckers, a set of 70mm Battallion guns (basically a big mortar) and a set of 75mm guns (to be constructed tonight, primed 'em last night).  The 70mm and woodpecker guns are on the medium gun base and already have paint on them.  The 75 is on a large base.  

So to be clear I need four large based guns or I have to slyly use the other four guns in their place while no one notices.

Option Z:  Play with the Battallion guns instead, which I suppose isn't the worst idea in the world but...  Then I would have to fill a whole bunch of points. 

Anywho, any suggestions would be helpful.  I might get stuck going with plan Z.  It's nowhere near as good against armor but it might be the only real choice I have.

Well poop.

So new conundrum:  because of the truck conversation, I did not go ahead and buy the second set of Type 38's (they do have them at the Game Matrix).  I now no longer have time to actually go get some because I am heading to Portland straight from work at about 2.  Guardian Games doesn't have them (I checked). 

So can someone donate some type 38 75mm guns?  

...The 75 is on a large base.  

So to be clear I need four large based guns ..

I do not have Japanese guns

But I am not playing, so I can loan you my Russian 76mm ZiS-3 guns, 4x on large bases, with crew painted in Khaki.

The barrels on the ZiS's are too long, and they have tires instead of spoked wheels, but they are ready-to go, crews are visually OK, on large bases and have gun shields.

Thanks to Barca for running an amazing event yesterday, and thanks to everyone who came out and played.  The tournament was truly a "different side" of flames of war, with a lot of infantry on the table, and a lot of "lesser seen" forces on the table as well.  It's always great to play Flames of War with a good group of guys, and it was awesome to see some of the more unusual forces on the table.  

I definitely got exposed to new rulees and forces so it was pretty educational.  I didn't play against the Paragliders, but after hearing how it works, that was an eye opener.  Definitely a hardcore list.  The LDGR list was bizarre.  HEAVY weight of fire, though it was pretty light on anti-tank.  My own list was underpowered for the task of taking on a massive horde.  I think in retrospect, i should have played for a tie but that wouldn't have been as fun.

Good times.

That LRDG list is powerful but ultimately its still going to take it to the face if it gets hit with a heavy Machine Gun squad or something similar.  Truck saves at 3+ would help, but those trucks also cant attack.  Only the dudes inside can, and they get equally hammered when hit with units like that.  Since they are designed to be on the move, i think that had i just entrenched the Machine guns on one flank i could have held it while the cannonade would have handled the other angle.

His 300 point "Ha ha, you don't get half your forces" thing was B.S..  THAT was a powerful ability that stopped me from doing anyhing intelligent.  I basically got forced to put a couple guns on each objective to defend two disparate objectives and had no mobility to make up for it until reserves came on, which he paid even more points in order to stop.  That combination is BROKEN.  Only luck allowed me to even be in that game.  I could have easily lost that game turn three.  As it was i was able to turn it into a 3-4 loss with a shot at the end to make it a 5-2 game.  Didn't happen but the opportunity was at least there.

I definitely need to get all the rules for that army and understand them better

pp. 124 and 125 of Burning Empires

For brevity, I will only quote the parts on Priority Interdiction Raids.

- - - - RULES START - - - - -

p.124

With Priority interdiction Raids you have seven dice in your Interdiction support Pool.

p. 125

Priority Interdiction Raids = 300 pts

A force with Interdiction Raids may use the Time Of Day special rule on page 179 (of Burning Empires) during any mission.

In Missions With Reserves:

At the beginning of your opponent's turn, before any dice are rolled for any type of Reserves, you may request an interdiction raid.  Immediately after your opponent has rolled all of their dice for Reserves you must roll all of the dice in your Interdiction Support Pool.

- For each result of 5+, your opponent must ignore a successful die result to receive Reserves this turn.(1)

- On any other result, the interdiction raid fails to stop anything and your opponents Reserves arrive as normal.

Every request for an interdiction Raid (whether it's successful or not) permanently removes one die from your Interdiction Support Pool, although your pool cannot be reduced below one die.

- - - - RULES END - - - - -

(1) Note: p. 268 of the rule book: At Least One Platoon Arrives

"If you rolled three or more dice to get Reserves in this turn, but failed to score any rolls of 5+, you automatically receive a single platoon from Reserve anyway."

This apparent conflict of rules is addressed in LFTF (Lessons From the Front). p. 26:

- - - - LFTF START - - - - -

QUES: "If I use the Interdiction Raids in Missions with Reserves Rule (on page 125), I can make my opponent ignore a successful Reserves roll. If they were rolling three or more dice, but only got one success, does the At Least One Platoon Arrives rule kick in?

ANS: If after the effects of the Interdiction Raids, you are left with zero successes, the At Least One Platoon Arrives rule kicks in (it is triggered by the presence of zero successes) so you get a single reserve.

The advantage of Interdiction Raids is that it reduces the likelihood of early reserves and reduces the likelihood of multiple reserves later. However, it cannot permanently stall the reserves."

- - - - LFTF END - - - - -

- - - - RULES START - - - - -

In Missions Without Reserves, with Priority Interdiction Raids:

...Your opponent must select three platoons in their force to be held off the table in Reserve...

Your opponent may always deploy at least one platoon and all independent teams on the table, no matter how much interdiction support you have.

If you use your interdiction support in this way, all dice are immediately removed from your Interdiction Support Pool.

- - - - RULES END - - - - -

My comment: this does not prevent those platoons from ever coming onto the table. It does change them from a deployed force to a reserve force (but as "Reserves", NOT "Delayed Reserves"). Note that in Missions Without Reserves, there is no interdiction of those reserves (no dice in the Interdiction Support Pool).

Regarding transport vehicle and passenger saves: the LRDG truck-mounted units use the Motorcycle Reconnaissance rules on pp. 10-11 of Burning Empires. As such, they have two different saves: one for the passenger and one for the transport team/driver.  The wording on p. 10 seems confusing, when applied to the LRDG, but the clarification on page 6 (Reconnaissance) of the latest "Lessons From the Front" (September, 2015) makes it clear: "The recce transport team takes a 3+ save for being an unarmoured recce vehicle, while the Passenger takes a 5+ save for being a passenger."

Since the LRDG trucks have drivers and passengers as separate soldiers (not the same soldiers in both roles, like cavalry and motorcycles), this clarification should be applied to the LRDG.

Also note that using the Motorcycle Reconnaissance rules allows the mounted LRDG teams to operate as recce teams, with the ability to break off. However, the dismounts are NOT recce teams.

There is a section in those rules (p. 11) that addresses 'raider Tank teams'.  In the British Arsenal (p 141) the following are listed as tank teams (even though they are unarmored): SAS or LRDG Jeep, Ford V8 Car, Chev Truck, Bofors 37mm SP, Breda 20mm SP.

I think the confusion on some of the LRDG rules comes from mixing the Raiding Missions special rules (pp.178-185) with other non-raiding missions.

Whuuuuut...  But he used BOTH rules on me!  He forced three units off the board and THEN rolled to keep the others from coming on!

:ohmy:

The saves were as I expected.  The guys inside are no more protected from incoming bullets than anyone else, its just the truck itself that is protected, which also means that when they are hit, everyone has to get out just like normal trucks... 

So...