GW makes competitive rules (including points) for AOS was: GW Vaguebooks AOS

pretre

While I think this is a good move, especially if built with input from SCGT, we as a community have to commit to not making competitive play the only play.  I still want to primarily use the open and narrative formats for casual games, leagues, etc.

Totally right there with ya on this:)

Actually im really hoping they choose a mild pool point system with no slot restrictions like the old SDK (actually im kinda wondering if the SDK guys had a heads up on this since they shut down a few weeks back and all),Then they could combine that with "Match play" Battle plans instead of just using symetrical board layouts with evenly placed objectives,,that kind of play is boring as f`k.Were is most of the published battle plans in the campaign books are very fun and varied,especially when played with forces chosen through a pool comp system.

I think it would also be a huge step forward to start a data collecting site like WotC does for MTG( I think its still the DCI) and DnD to keep track of player rankings,achievements and perhaps army contents and fluff even,this would ensure that all three formats get play.

Either way,ill be playing match play for sure,,but in no way will I be making that the only way I play.AoS is best in a casual environment throwing down the army you want to play in a series of narrative Battle plans.

• Like 1

It doesn't scratch the itch for people that want to play with rnf units. It is still a skirmish game. This will let the AoS players argue for their game a bit better.

Pretty much

As far as I can tell since the announcement,the players that have been playing AoS for a while,,the "Fans" if you want to call us that..dont really care much about the competative play angle and are much more interested in the narrative campaign aspect of this announcement.And the general consensus amoungst the AoS players is that the argument for AoS is long past,we are fans and we dont concern ourselves with trying to push the game on the more competatitve crowd.Its become a very good game for hobby gamers:)

Its funny how so many posts at Dakka are of players that have been waiting for SOOO long for a point system in AoS so they can have a "balanced" game...sheese,there have been fan comps since the first 2 weeks of the games release and all indications from GW at this point is they will either sanction the use of one of those or model their own after one of them.This new point system is likely not going to be some great panacea for the game as some seem to think it is.

Azyr empires is on indefinite hold..

I kinda agree with him that core troops are kinda lacking compared to monsters playing battles from scgt pool, but i also liked how end times upped the quota for heros..

Yeah,,the SCGT does tend to stear toward monster mashing,however I think they were trying to control that through scenario objectives in that 3 of the scenarios I believe it was, had multimodel requirements to control objectives.Apparently this was not enough though,so perhaps match play battleplans can work toward more balance in this area.I still prefer this way over hard slot restrictions as that path tends to ace out several army battalions.

I remember the one guy who brought 5 Startdrakes,it was pointed out that he could not win 3 of the scenarios due to his model numbers,heh.

Make no mistake about it though,the min/maxing will begin in earnest and with the wide array of warscrolls and battalions out there,it will take a fair amount of time before the first net lists float to the top.

The Generals Handbook is an awesome new release from games workshop that includes 3 new ways to play Age of Sigmar including Open, Narrative and Matched play.

Open play is pretty much Age of Sigmar as we know it now, Narrative is story driven along the line of the realm gate wars books and the 3rd version is Matched play which includes a FULL POINTS SYSTEM for all Warscrolls in the Age of Sigmar.

Ben Curry (Bad Dice Podcast), Dan Heelan (Heelanhammer), Wayne Kemp and Russ Veal (Facehammer) were invited into games workshop to, and i quote, “Help make it great”

This episode is our experiences on this fantastic weekend and a first look at what is coming in the Generals Handbook.

In the show, in addition to talking about the fantastic time we had meeting Jervis Johnson and other members of the studio, and getting to play stet some of the ideas and scenarios in the book and we also release more information about the contents of the book.

First thing, its a book and will be release in the summer.

There are 5 new campaigns including path to glory,

22 new battle plans from small games all the way up to epic battles between the games biggest characters.

6 new ‘Pitched Battle’ scenarios

Multi-player and team play and of course,

full points values for every Warscroll in Age of Sigmar.

From fb. Apparently GW had a big managers meeting and the store level guys are free to discuss whatever

• Like 1

Link to the podcast Malakithe is mentioning above-

http://heelanhammer.com/onlythefaithful/

I havent had a chance to listen to it yet but whats interesting is one of the commenters on facebook noted that it states that "a 2000 point game should last about 2.5 hrs".It thats the case then the comp is likely scaled more along the lines of the SDK system than the SCGT,which would indicate that perhaps they are using the SDK formula as a basis for this.VERY good news if its true as SDK was the most widely used and it allows for special models/options within units to be accounted for.

Just as a word of warning, keep your expectations low for the points system. I can't imagine that they are going to get it correct, right out of the gate.

Oh come on,you are such a Fuddy Duddy! lol

Seriously though,im not worried in the least.Fan comps have proven that it really doesnt take a ton of point balancing to come up with fair games even when not using slot restrictions.The game doesnt really have any game breaking units/combos like other games,thats what I love about it.This is why two players can simply just match up monsters for monsters,heros for heros and elite/regular troops classes and have a fairly close game.

But of course,,GW is puting their name on this so yeah,,there is a chance that they could go that extra step and well...

I'm not saying that as a negative thing. I'm saying that from the perspective of competitive players (ie, not players already playing AoS) that the point system is not going to be very tight. Hence, keep your expectations low. Honestly, you can't tell me that you think GW is going to nail a perfect point system. They can't balance their long standing games...but now with a new game that was not designed to have points, they are going to suddenly get it right? I'm just being realistic..I think it is great that GW is trying to salvage AoS.

• Like 1

via Ben Curry on Warseer
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?417770-Details-of-The-Generals-Handbook-announced-3-Ways-to-play
Details of 'The Generals Handbook' announced. 3 Ways to play
Games Workshop have teamed up with my podcast (The Bad Dice Podcast ) along with Heelanhammer and Facehammer to give details of the new '3 ways to play' announcement.

We were invited into games workshop to playtest the book and this episode is all about our experiences.

Details are:
First thing, its a book and will be release in the summer.
There are 5 new campaigns including path to glory,
22 new battle plans from small games all the way up to epic battles between the games biggest characters.
6 new ‘Pitched Battle’ scenarios
Multi-player and team play and of course,
full points values for every Warscroll in Age of Sigmar.

You can find the full episode at http://baddice.co.uk/generals-handbook-experiences-visiting-games-workshop/

via Lady Atia
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/720
- GW is working with tournament organizers to get the stuff right 
- There will be points 
- There will be unit categories similiar to 40k, Leaders, Battle Line Units, Behemoths and Warmachines (working titles). 
- You build your army similiar to 40k now, so you have Battalions and some kind of FoC, depeneding on the points size of your army 
- Core Rules + FAQ's stay the same. 
- Books are not invalidated 
- All warscrolls get points, even Tombkings/Squattonia 
- Basically it's Unbound, Story Mode and Tournament Mode

- Open play is basically Unbound or Apocalypse, including rules for multi player battles

- Narrative Play will give you campaign rules similiar to FW's Imperial Armour/HH Campaigns

What do you think so far?

Edit : 
- 5 Campaign in the book with a story arc for each. (path to glory included) 
- 22 batte plan (small to very big) 
- Must have book 
- Rules for multiplayer games 
- ppl from the podcast playtested the game. 
- 2000 points = 2.5hours battle.

-Lady Atia

via WHAT THE HELLS GOING ON?! from the Comment Section on WoS
according to the local gw manager here in the uk, the managers can talk about it (!) and it will likely be £15. many were at hq the last few days reading through the drafts :)

• Like 1

"- Core Rules + FAQ's stay the same."

Sounds great! and ive read that the comp system itself will have controls on summoning.

But as far as sticking to core rules I think the only one that many will take issue with is model to model measurement.I personally prefer m2m but I also always allow models in base contact to be considered within 1/2" of each other.Not sure what they will do about this though...with melee being a huge focus in AoS and melee weapon ranges being 1-3" long I dont think they will be backing off their design of m2m measuring like most all of the TO`s have done.

Im hoping for some sort of compromise like model and or base measurement,which ever is closest.

One things for certain,players(myself included) will NOT be base stacking.

Seriously?, this is rather cool. Games Workshop will be launching a Global Campaign within a few weeks/months time. The details are still be worked on. Also new start up kits with low price points as low as £5 and up. That will be interesting.

This comes from a good source, who has been correct in the past about many things. Games Workshop is definitely building the hype for the Age of Sigmar. (as a 40k player.... yea I am jealous)

via anonymous sources on Faeit 212

There will be a globel campaign for AoS coming up in a few weeks/months time.

It will have it's own website.

A living map.

All results will lead into the next book.

Details are still being finished.

A new start up section is coming for AoS with kits starting at £5 up.

On the finance front.

AoS is actually doing as well if not better then 40k in some areas.

There has been a decline in shop sales but with summer coming GW hope this should pick up.

Also.

No more leaks!

GW are going are no longer going to be holding back info.

You will know as soon as it happens.

Umm..what? Holy [big bad swear word]

• Like 1