Lap paint tray

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

So I had to tear down my paint desk and move all my hobby stupid to the garage. All my painting needs to be very mobile. I was looking at citadels lap tray and was curious if there was some good alternatives others use?

Side note I don't use citadel paints I use Vallejo.

Thanks

• Like 1

So I had to tear down my paint desk and move all my hobby stupid to the garage. All my painting needs to be very mobile. I was looking at citadels lap tray and was curious if there was some good alternatives others use?

Side note I don't use citadel paints I use Vallejo.

Thanks

Hipster.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Thanks.  Reviews are iffy on it, but does seem more what I'm looking for.  Thanks Pretre on the folding table I will take a look at that.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Definitely mom, she still rocks the skinny jeans.

So I'm at a holding point trying to figure out what to do next. So in the picks you can see I have this extra space up top and not sure what to do with it. I have room for 4 water pots. But I only see the need for 2 at most. Surface space is quite large to work with. So plenty of room for palettes. I was thinking on top 3 square cuts where I can put loose bits... Thoughts? It has the ability to hold 40 vallejo paint pots in 3/4" deep pockets.

Final project will have legs like a meal tray and a lip all the way around. I was thinking of even doing a flush self healing cutting mat in the middle but not sure if I have a good enough sander for that.post-1656-0-62040700-1466481937_thumb.jpegpost-1656-0-71470200-1466481950_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

That would work, too, I reckon. I lay mine flat because I don't have anything special, just my kitchen table, so they just sit there. If a block holding them upright works better for you (or works better objectively, I really don't know. It might be better for the brushes or something.), then that's the way for you to go.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Flat takes up more real estate and also it would take more effort and skill to create flat grooves. I like the idea of flat better but it is the challenge that is holding me back a bit.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

So I cut it down to 18" as that is about the right legnth but I forgot the 1/2" border would put any leg installation out off my couch. So I created a deep under lip and will install a pillow underneath to make it a lap tray. It's heavy but a good pillow would do it. For quick work and little to no experience making something like this Im happy how it turned out. Considering I had most of the material it was fairly cheap. The cost was round $35 to make it add $10 if I needed to buy the wood. Tonight I need to sand it and stain it. Tomorrow install handles and it is done.

My novice word working shows as the border has a 1/4" angle deviation.

Will post pics later tonight.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Thanks

I painted on it for an hour with a pillow as padding and it works great. Plenty of surface space to work with and not to heavy. Just need to seal, install a pillow bottom and handles.

I rarely use more than 4 brushes in sitting but 5 as a choice is nice.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Already on it. I am searching online to see if I can find a battery, or rechargeable adjustable army led light. I am not sure if I plan to create a permnant install but was in the works of something. Looking at book lights mainly as it doesn't need to be powerful.

• Like 1