Chronus (Ultramarine) question

Well think about it this way....he is an independent tank driver. So instead of riding as a passenger embarked on a transport he has the ability to drive a vehicle with the tank special rule. So he can drive a Rhino (with a full Taq Squad) or a Landraider or a Predator. But he doesnt get a free tank when taken as HQ.

Been thinking about this one, I think you guys might have it wrong. I think chronus and the tank are considered the same model and he isn't a passenger until it explodes.

Exact wording, sentance by sentance:

Ultramarines Tank Commander: When adding Sergeant Chronus to your army, you must also take a single Rhino, Razorback, Predator, Whirlwind, Vindicator, Hunter, Stalker, Land Raider, Land raider Crusader or Land Raider Redeemer, paying the points cost listed in that vehicle's datasheet.

Doesn't let you add him to an existing tank in the army, but instead requires you to take another vehicle when you take him. Specifically requires a single vehicle from a specific list, and the datasheet is only referenced in adding the points. It doesn't say to use the vehicle as per the other datasheet, it just adds this single vehicle to this datasheet at the point value from the other. They are not seperate slots, this is all part of this one slot.

You are unable to have Chronus occupy a dedicated transport due to the wording above. Nor can he be a member of a squadron, as written.

The chosen vehicle is a Character and has Ballistic Skill 5.

Being a character makes them eligible as a warlord.

In addition, it has It Will Not Die, and ignores the effects of Crew Shaken and Crew Stunned results.

No issues here.

If the tank is Wrecked ir suffers an Explodes! result, Sergeant Chronus is treated as a passenger.

Now here is where it becomes really confusing. He's not treated as a passenger until his tank is wrecked/exploded. In other words, Sergeant Chronus is the tank until it is wrecked/exploded. Matters a lot if you establish Chronus as the warlord, as he isn't a passenger until it explodes.

(Note that if the vehicle does not have an Access Point, he will have to perform emergency disembarkation.)

No issues here.

Assuming Sergeant Chronus Survives his vehicle's destruction, he uses his own characteristic profile and special rules as normal from that point on.

In other words, he was using another profile prior to that, as he was the tank. 

Either way, Ordered a metal version of the model. I've fielded a proxy of him last wednesday, mounted on a Hunter. That was third game against Eldar this month, so the BS 5 armorbane skyfire weapon was very justified. 125pts, but he destroyed two vehicles and I was very happy to have the extra 12" of range over the stalker. Not sure if he'll remain useful against non-skimmer opponents. If I do keep him mounted on a Hunter, I'll probably want to upgrade with an HK missile and Stormbolter, just so he's not useless against targets not eligible for skyfire. 

Regarding his use in army, I ran him as if he is the tank, then becomes the infantry model when it is destroyed. I ran him as only an HQ slot. Didn't initially occur to me that he both be an HQ and a heavy slot, hence the question above. I'm now convinced I had it right before, but still suprised this isn't covered in the Draft FAQ or written in a more clear manner. 

I think the reason they wrote it in such a confusing manner is that basically, the tank doesn't have chapter tactics, and they wanted that clear cut, but the infantry guy, does have chapter tactics. 

Venting, this amazon interaction has me pissed.

Usually, I have no issues with amazon, and I have return non-physical items before. Anyway, got the refund, which is great, but not sure yet if I have to send it back or not. I actually called customer service and they are investigating if I have to ship it back....Kinda a weird one, because as an item who's "material" doesn't match the description, this order qualifies as refund item, alongside defective merchandise. 

I did contact the seller (third party). Apparently, they knew full well that their product didn't match the description and don't seem to see the issue in selling items that they don't actually have the one described. I hate liars. I had thought their price being higher than GW's reflected the rarity of the metal models in circulation, instead, it just reflected their mark up over the GW retail. 

As an aside, if you ever sell things on amazon, make sure the description matches the material of your item, even if the description isn't perfect. From what I can tell, the punishment of an angry customer over "defective" merchandise, like this, is harsher for the seller than a simple return would be. 

PS: If I don't have to return it, anyone want to trade a brand new finecast Chronus for a metal one? I might end up using it even if I don't like finecast. I would never pay for a finecast chronus (or any of the GW finecast), but I'd consider it if the model was free (well, in cash, this is already a huge headache).

Well, looks like I got a free finecast Chronus out of all this. Would have much rather gotten the model I ordered without issue, but I'm very happy to have this one resolved. I don't handle stress very well and this one has been stressful for me. 

Did you get the metal version too, or just the Failcast... I mean, Finecrap... errr... dammit, the non-metal version? 

Buying online always has risks. It's like I'm rolling the dice every time I get something on eBay, or my buddy Juan (from the Philippines), Long Dick Dong (China), or Dimitri (from some Eastern block country). I always thought Amazon was a step above all that, but I guess not. I hope you left feed back about that seller! 

Did you get the metal version too, or just the Failcast... I mean, Finecrap... errr... dammit, the non-metal version? 

Huh...so Dammit isn't a swear word on ordo....bans lots of similar words.

Anyway, just the "fine"-cast version, but did get it for free, effectively. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh, these rules suck in how unclear they are. Might have to write the ITC. Okay, so if I take the Armored Task Force from the SM codex, I have the following requirements:

1 techmarine

0-3 units of thunderfire cannons

3-5 units from the following:

-Vindicators

-Predators

-Whirlwinds

0-1 Chronus

Pictured is 1 techmarine with servitors, 2 thunderfire cannons, 3 vindicators, 3 whirlwinds, and 3 predators. One of these predators (center) has chronus pictured as the tank commander. 

With my above interpretation, chronus is not an upgrade for these tanks, but one of them is actually their own unit (single model) within the formation. This is possible, as it could easily be 1 unit of vindicators, 1 of whirlwinds and 2 units of 1 predator, plus chronus. Still vague. 

So here's the real question, can I take chronus on a Hunter (or a land raider, for that matter), within this formation? My interpretation above says yes, but I'd figure they'd at least mention the possibility somewhere in the formation if that was the intention. Kinda feel I might have it wrong, despite being pretty sure I'm reading the rules how they are written....Getting the feeling that the RAW is wrong and this guy is supposed to be an upgrade, even if I don't think the written rules support this.

Okay, fluff question on the same topic. What company is Chronus from? 

Painting him, and want to get right company markings on his tank and his model. Doesn't seem to say in his discription or on lexicanium. He's pictured in a tank of the second company, but I can't find anything more than the picture, and GW's not known for pictures that match the text (though they have been getting better.).

I believe he's actually part of the Armoury, not one of the Battle Companies. The Codex isn't entirely clear, but Pgs. 36-37 seem to indicate that the Armoury has its own drivers for Battle Tanks and stuff.

That's what I found too, but it doesn't really answer any questions. So should his tank have markings for the Armory, or should it have company specific markings and he's just borrowing it?

The Tanks are part of the Armoury (unless he's in a Rhino or Razorback), but are given Company markings when assigned to a particular Company for a Campaign. Pgs. 73-74.

So then Chronus would not have company markings at all, and would be free floating between companies?

Thanks. 

So, side note, should a detachment be mostly one company, or is mixing companies okay? Obviously each squad should be at least mostly one company (they could reform broken squads into combined squads during a battle, and their markings wouldn't be updated until after the battle).