Having a heck of a time with this Dread Saurian...

Threejacks

I scrubbed this thing with soapy water and a good brush like I do with all the FW resin stuff,yet im still having issue with small patches flaking off as I drybrush.

I used the Mournfang spray to prime with as I do with models that will have that base color but im starting to wonder if I should have used a much more agressive primer.Ive heared Automotive primers can do the trick in this case,,but that would mean I need to strip and start over,,I would rather patch in with some brush primer on these trouble spots,,any ideas on whats a good brand to use?

• Like 1

I've worked on a lot of spartan resin over the years and have had similar problems. Honestly I have taken to leaving resin to soak in simple green a few days, scrub, soak again and scrub and rinse. Anything else and I end up with problems like yours half the time.

[edit] the only brush primer I have had good luck with is Vallejo black. White stuff rubs off to easy most of the time. I've had good luck with dilute gesso also.

• Like 1

Yeah, the main problem is that Mournfang Spray, along with all of the other sprays GW sells, is not actually primer. People will tell you to use automotive primer because it's actually primer, relatively cheap, and easy to attain. Personally I'd do as Colonel Ripper suggests and then grab a can of Duplicolor sandable to lay down before your Mournfang spray. 

If you really want to just brush some on after the fact, Vallejo primer does work pretty well. Make sure you buy the larger bottles though as the droppers are sometimes simply paint matched and not actually primer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips!

I picked up some of the brown Vallejo primer and it seems to be filling in well:).

Ive got a few other FW models still to assemble,I`ll get some Automotive primer for those I think,,though having experience with that stuff from past body work projects,I will NOT be getting the "Sandable" stuff as it is indeed thick and sandable,lol.

Ive got a few other FW models still to assemble,I`ll get some Automotive primer for those I think,,though having experience with that stuff from past body work projects,I will NOT be getting the "Sandable" stuff as it is indeed thick and sandable,lol.

Hmm, I wonder what you bought then as Duplicolor sandable goes on very smooth. In fact it is the same stuff as what P3 sells as primer and is great for miniatures.