League Survey

savion47

OBBL Coaches Survey  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How long of a break between seasons?

• No Break
    • 1-2 Months
    • 3-4 Months
    • 5-6 Months
    • I hate BB and never want to play again!
  2. 2. Should we require cards separate from inducements?

• No Cards
    • All Cards
    • Only those from the Box Set (Special Events & Misc. Mayhem)
    • Only the Hall of Fame Pack (Heroic Feats & Magical Memorabilia)
  3. 3. Should we charge to be in the league? All league dues go to paying for club supplies (like the new Ordo Bowl pitches! and prizes)

• No, keep it free!!!
    • Yes $10 a Season
    • Yes $15 a Season
    • Yes $20 a Season

Hey Ordo Bowl league coaches! I have a few questions I want to ask folks as I am mulling over the next season of the league. It is a very short 3 question survey and responses are anonymous.

In the last question I ask about willingness to pay league dues each season. This was something I have done once before. it was $10 to sign up and play. All of the money went to help buy the new 40mm pitches that some have been playing on (specifically in the Super League) and will be used during the Ordo Bowl '17 tournament. For future leagues, I would love to see the money go to 2 things, more league supplies to be used for league games and tournaments, and PRIZES! 

Thank you all in advance for filling out the survey and please feel free to comment below regarding any of the topics in the survey.

12 minutes ago, sbr said:

I don't understand question #2.

Are you saying that cards can always be used as inducements, but you want to know which cards we want to use as free cards according to the new rules?

For question 2, cards can still be used as inducements. This question is simply for the free cards that are acquired by both teams at the start of the game based on the highest team value of both teams. 

9 minutes ago, savion47 said:

For question 2, cards can still be used as inducements. This question is simply for the free cards that are acquired by both teams at the start of the game based on the highest team value of both teams. 

Beauty thanks.  Voted

Another question not posted in the survey, but want to get people's thoughts on are special edition cards. Right now this are the Blitzmania cards.I believe most people if not everyone has a set. Should those be included as well? I am going to be up front here and say that I am not in favor of including them. There are a few reasons being that going forward, I want everyone to have access to the same card decks. Special edition cards make that much more difficult. 

I am also not a big fan of the We Tie card in league setting. Then, of course, there is the Ogre card...

There is also the Pre-order Promo Card: The Early Bird.

As it stands, does everyone have all four main decks? I'm currently a Super league-er, and I don't think all those coaches do. Isn't there potential that someone will not have access to every regular (non-promo) card in every game they play? What if special play cards wind up becoming required, and both coaches forget to bring/don't have all the cards that game? Would these rules be the same across all 3 leagues?

Sorry, asking more questions instead of answering yours. My gut is saying if league rules allow/require special play cards, focus more on banning specific cards you don't want in, then if everyone has access to all the cards. As long as any broken cards are removed, does it really matter if coaches are drawing from a slightly different pool of cards? Also going with the Variant Three- One Deck rules, will partially mitigate the access issue. 

It's not even for both if the decks themselves lack balance. From what I saw of the boxed set each deck has a couple cards that are disgusting while the remainder are pretty meh. It would be even if certain cards were removed. 

Shane said the heroic feats or whatever its called is more balanced but I haven't seen it yet. I don't have any of the decks & don't plan on getting them. 

4 hours ago, Zorcon said:

There is also the Pre-order Promo Card: The Early Bird.

As it stands, does everyone have all four main decks? I'm currently a Super league-er, and I don't think all those coaches do. Isn't there potential that someone will not have access to every regular (non-promo) card in every game they play? What if special play cards wind up becoming required, and both coaches forget to bring/don't have all the cards that game? Would these rules be the same across all 3 leagues?

Sorry, asking more questions instead of answering yours. My gut is saying if league rules allow/require special play cards, focus more on banning specific cards you don't want in, then if everyone has access to all the cards. As long as any broken cards are removed, does it really matter if coaches are drawing from a slightly different pool of cards? Also going with the Variant Three- One Deck rules, will partially mitigate the access issue. 

Well, the short answer is no, not everyone has all 4 decks. My hesitation for requiring cards comes from a few different places. 1. I am scared of change in my blood bowl. 2. having 1/2 the available cards requiring you to get the boxed set creates what I feel is an unfair burden on coaches. We have an expensive hobby that people generally spend a a fair amount of money on models (though there are ways to do it on the cheap), but requiring spending $100 to get cards seems very excessive to me. 

The different league commissioners would have discretion regarding the use of cards.

As to the different pools of cards, I feel it does matter if people are using different decks. As an obvious example, someone with the auto-tie card in their deck has an advantage over someone who does not have the card in theirs; even if both coaches are drawing from the same deck. A coach who plays every game with a chance to draw the Auto-tie card has a distinct advantage over those who did not acquire the card. I know the quick answer it just to say "ban that card," but I feel that leaving it up to the individual to decide what cards to play with can lead to unfair advantages for some and even abuses. I feel a universal set of cards that everyone would use is the only fair way to include cards in the game.

I am sure Burk and Jollyork will have some thoughts on why my thinking here is way off.

1 hour ago, michaels said:

It's not even for both if the decks themselves lack balance. From what I saw of the boxed set each deck has a couple cards that are disgusting while the remainder are pretty meh. It would be even if certain cards were removed. 

Shane said the heroic feats or whatever its called is more balanced but I haven't seen it yet. I don't have any of the decks & don't plan on getting them. 

it would be total even if both players are pulling from the same set of cards?  How can you argue differently.

Even using the same deck there are cards in the boxed set that are better than the remainder. Each deck has 1 or 2 cards that are extremely unbalanced compared to the rest. That's how I find it uneven. If all the cards were created equal I'd have less distaste for it.

This is beside the obvious issue I have with cards adding far more chaos than I enjoy. It's the same reason I dislike dungeonbowl. There's an extreme amount of randomness added that I don't care for in a game that many regard to be focused on positioning & risk vs reward. I don't fear change in the game but I think being able to win or lose based on what you draw at the beginning of the game makes it a pointless exercise.

6 hours ago, michaels said:

Even using the same deck there are cards in the boxed set that are better than the remainder. Each deck has 1 or 2 cards that are extremely unbalanced compared to the rest. That's how I find it uneven. If all the cards were created equal I'd have less distaste for it.

This is beside the obvious issue I have with cards adding far more chaos than I enjoy. It's the same reason I dislike dungeonbowl. There's an extreme amount of randomness added that I don't care for in a game that many regard to be focused on positioning & risk vs reward. I don't fear change in the game but I think being able to win or lose based on what you draw at the beginning of the game makes it a pointless exercise.

isnt the point to have fun?  chaos in a game is fun......it is a game afterall.