7 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Contemptors are to Elementals as Imperial Knights are to BattleMechs, yes?

I'm leaning towards ordering a Katan, and 3 Contemptors at the end of the month. The Katan is easily enough a Unique Knight, counts as Warden or whatever patten it is.

Sort of, I guess. I think they're closer in size, tho. Maybe more like ProtoMechs to regular Mechs. And unfortunately, the Contemptors can't hitch rides on the Knights. That would be cool.

Katan? or Kytan? The Kytan does work pretty well as a Warden. I also converted an extra, swappable, gun so I could use it as an Errant.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WestRider said:

Sort of, I guess. I think they're closer in size, tho. Maybe more like ProtoMechs to regular Mechs. And unfortunately, the Contemptors can't hitch rides on the Knights. That would be cool.

Katan? or Kytan? The Kytan does work pretty well as a Warden. I also converted an extra, swappable, gun so I could use it as an Errant.

I also feel Knights are more like proto mecha, while Warlord is Atlas-esque. Mind you, this is in my head-cannon, not based off BT databooks or GW stuff.

18 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Any theoretical problems with running a converted Contemptor as a Libby Dread?  I'm picturing libby hood and the like plus a force lance.  Or the Chaplain, same thing, Skull Helm, ornate decorations. 

That feels like it's starting to edge into kind of sketchy territory. Not a "hard no", but the Contemptor chassis has pretty different statlines than the Castaferrum, and in ways that would make a particular difference for Character Dreads.

14 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I also feel Knights are more like proto mecha, while Warlord is Atlas-esque. Mind you, this is in my head-cannon, not based off BT databooks or GW stuff.

It's hard to find accurate data, especially on the 40K side of things, but if my math was reasonably close, most mechs should be somewhere in the Cerastus-Porphyrion size range, with perhaps shorter ones like the UrbanMech being close to the height of the Quaestoris patterns. Elementals would probably be somewhere between regular Marines and Terminators in size. Warhound Titans are said to be somewhere in the 200 ton range, putting them far larger than any Mechs.

• Thanks 1

On March 3, 2018 at 6:17 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

Any theoretical problems with running a converted Contemptor as a Libby Dread?  I'm picturing libby hood and the like plus a force lance.  Or the Chaplain, same thing, Skull Helm, ornate decorations. 

No issues on this particular one because the Dreadnought and the Contemptor Dreadnought share the same RT model. So, shouldn't create any real issues mixing the two "children" of that parent model. The Chappy Dread should be black, with a big skull painted on their head/torso. The Libby Dread should be blue with a psychic hood. The colors matter from a fluff stance more the style of dread model, but only because there is only one set of rules for libby dreads and one set for chappy dreads. 

That said, there is the one risk that FW or GW produces an actual Contemptor Libby/Chappy Dreadnought model... 

When FW added those contemptor dreads, I had a bunch of converted Ironclad Dreads made with RT Dreadnought models...kinda ruined my cool conversion because they became confusing. I ended up scrapping that project. 

35 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Well, if Contemptor HQs existed like that, I'd be getting them instead, for sure.

Yeah, but if FW's in charge, they might get added with crappy rules or a point cost so high that they aren't playable....Anyway, this is all what ifs. Yeah, go make your libby/chappy dreads. Should look good. 

Forgebane tempts me to purchase multiples, but if it only includes two copies of a single varient of Armiger, I think one copy will suffice, unless it's offering price is below 150.  

The AdMech portion is welcomed, as it will provide me with a second HQ to field a battalion without sacrificing abilities or Stratagems. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
17 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

So, those armigers still pretty much look the same.

I purchased Deathwatch and Imperial Knight books. Need to get Custodes and AdMech books.

Haven't looked through Knights dex yet. Sitting outside, listening to the rain, lighting one, and about to crack it open.  

cracked mine open last night pretty sweet. Haven't really looked past the ooo shiny yet tho. Preceptor has a Las cannon ish thing! Yay lots of relics and ways to increase the number of warlords. Armigers are nice and cheap for filling out detachments. 80 pt terrain feature has some utility not sure how the points work out but seems useful given the large chunks this army will operate in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

cracked mine open last night pretty sweet. Haven't really looked past the ooo shiny yet tho. Preceptor has a Las cannon ish thing! Yay lots of relics and ways to increase the number of warlords. Armigers are nice and cheap for filling out detachments. 80 pt terrain feature has some utility not sure how the points work out but seems useful given the large chunks this army will operate in. 

Armigers don't count towards your 3 SH to get command Bonus. Neither do Cerastus Knights. 

16 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Armigers don't count towards your 3 SH to get command Bonus. Neither do Cerastus Knights. 

But you can get all the other things... character, relic, warlord traits... makes an interesting choice. Take a knight warlord and his little armiger vassals then fill with cheap guard for command points or commit to the big boys for some command points and lots of big robots. 

• 4 weeks later...