New Army For 2013-14: Nurgley Beastmen Blog

Thanks, guys!

Drak, I hope the list seemed like it would be fair for the OFCC.  When wildform goes off on those gors they become insanely good in combat, and the trolls are no slouch either.  Even with killing all of my other units, I still had 1600 just in those two.  Hopefully it's not a points-denial situation.  Either way, I had a blast getting beat down by your vampires, still can't believe that my ghorgon panicked and got rundown by a spirit host!

yes everything has a weakness, but with the amount of redirectors you have it would take some really poor playing on your part to give. flank up on the gors.

I like playing against the army as is, I also can recognize that with lore of beasts both of the units get into the very nice level of things.

The 10-man unit of centigor, ghorgon, trolls, and doombull are now patched and primed.  Tomorrow i should have time to assmeble more gors and to work on painting.  I'm still undecided on what to use for my shaman, but I have a few ideas in the works.  Goals for now are getting models for the rampage painted up.  I doubt I will have time to get them all done, but it gives me a short-term goal to set my sights on.

Got my first two snailigors finished today, I'll post pics when I get back from work tonight.  Also, the majority of base coating on the giant snail is finished, I just need to do details and then wash the whole thing.  

Finding time to get serious painting done has been difficult, I may be recruiting the GF to do some base coats and washing for me to hurry along the process.

Looking forward to the rampage tomorrow, though I didn't get as much time to paint and prepare as I would have liked.  When I get home from work tonight I want to get the ghorgon finished and finish basing my first 5 centigors.  The rest of the army will have to wait!

• Like 1

RAMPAGE RESULTS!!

I had a blast at the rampage, and played against 4 great opponents.  Here's a quick summery of the games.

My list:

Great Bray Shaman - Beasts, Level 4, Fencer's blades, Talismen of Endurance

Wargor - BSB, Beast Banner, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armor, Shield

49 Gors - Extra Hand Weapon, Full Command (both characters)

5 Ungor Raiders

5 Ungor Raiders

Tuskgor Chariot

Razorgor

Razorgor

5 Harpies

10 Centigors - Standard, Musician

Giant

Ghorgon

Game 1: Kill Mr. Lucky - vs. John's Empire

Empire List:

Grand Master with runefang

Wizard Lord with Light

BsB Captain

Warrior priest on foot

Warrior priest mounted

40 halberds

5 archer detachment

10 Inner circle knights

3 demigryphs 

5 pistoliers

Steam Tank

John got the first turn.   He moved his halberds into a tower at the center, the knights and demis shuffled forward, and the stank went about 13 inches forward after blowing a wound off of itself.  I had to deal with the steam tank before it started to cannon/grind down my army, so I charged my big block forward into it.  I got off savage beast on the BSB and great shaman, who then made quick work of the tank by killing it off in one round.  His knights got a charge off on my ghorgon, and while I took many wounds, I managed to eat his mister lucky and gain a few back.   I tried to combo charge the knights in the flanks with a razorgor and a chariot, but I didn't do a single wound to him and broke.  The gors took a few turns killing off halberds in the tower, so john backed them out away from my charge range.  Instead, I charged just my shaman into his halberds and began to kill the characters off one by one.  A miscast took care of all but one halberd, and the last wound from his BSB.  He won the game in victory points, but I managed to get full scenario points and stayed in the room of fame.

Game 2: Moving Tower - vs. Dirk's Dwarfs.

Dwarf List:

Lord on Shieldbearers with GW

Thayne BSB with GW

Runesmith

Runesmith

20ish Longbeards hw/s

16ish crossbows

20 slayers

27 hammerers

Dirk started with his crossbows in the tower.  It quickly banged them into a river, killing several.  I got my centigors to charge it and they killed about 6 more, but where promptly reduced to 2 models after the tower ran over them in the next turn.  The tower continued through my army and then spent literally the entire game just ramming itself into a corner in my deployment zone.  I got into combat with his slayers and my gor unit then cast Transformation on my shaman.   With a giant dragon in the unit, I had no trouble killing the slayers off in one round.  However, they did enough wounds back to kill my shaman when the spell was ended in the next turn.  My giant and gorgon managed to get rid of most of the longbeards, but not the characters.  In the final turns I killed off his runesmiths, longbeards, and hammeres with my gors.  However, his characters were too tough to beat and we ended the game without either of them taking a wound.

Game Three: Blood, Glory, and Monsters - Andrew's Lizards

Lizard List

Oldblood on Carno

Skink Chief on Ancient Steg

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skink Skirmishers

3 krox with 30ish skinks

5 Chameleons

5 Chameleons

Steg

Ancient Steg with Engine

This battle was kept almost entirely on one side of the table due to a massive hill which made the other side all dangerous terrain.  I quickly moved into the tower at the center with the hopes of taking out his monsters with amber spear while I avoided getting poisoned to death by shooting.  A few lucky charges got my giant and chariot into combat with skinks who they sent running accross the board.   After that my monsters got locked in with his skrox, and couldn't kill enough of them off to break steadfast before his stegs got over and beat me to death.  It was a great game, but in the end it was a clear victory for the lizards.

Game 4: King of the Hill - vs. Nathan's Dark Elves

Dark Elf List:

Dreadlord on cold one

BsB on Cold one

level 2 dark on horse

level 2 dark

10 corsairs

10 Crossbows

10 Crossbows

5 Dark Riders

18 Blackgaurd

Hydra

9 cold ones

For this battle we spent most of the time trying to get into good position for charges.  In the end he managed to grind out my gors with his hydra (11 hits with the breath weapon, ouch!) and cold ones.  If we had time for another turn I could have had a chance to get my monsters into his cold ones, but we ran out of time and he got a good victory.   A very fun game that I got slapped around in :)

All in all it was a great event, and everyone I played was awesome.  Can't wait to see you all at OFCC!!

Edited for spelling Dirk with an 'e'.  What is wrong weth me?

• 3 weeks later...

Got a couple of games in last night with RD's Wood Elves and MexicanNinja's dwarfs.

I got the beat stick pretty hard from RD, but managed to out-fight the dwarfs.   In the second game MN's ironbreakers should have stuck around for another round of combat, but he forgot that they were stubborn.  Im pretty confident that I would have killed off the rest of the unit that turn, but our lords in a challenge both had a decent chance of killing eachother, which could have netted him some points.

Lessons learned:

-My chaff is great.  I can gum up the field nicely, and direct/delay units that I need to.  Just got to learn to keep them out of my way.

-My chaff is easy to kill.  Razorgors, harpies, and raiders do not have a lot of staying power.  As much as I would like them to be effective against every list, a shooty opponent will blow them off the board.  Even skirmish didn't save my guys against the cheaty-elf's trueshot arrows.  On the bright side, this means that my opponent will spend a lot of time shooting units which cost nothing, rather than bringing down my big blocks

-Centigor are the most unimpressive unit in the game.  Don't get me wrong, I refuse to take them out of the list, but in 90% of situations they are suck-town.  On the charge a unit of 10 managed to kill 8 longbeards, but even with wildform on them they took 8 wounds in return.  They are fast enough to make long charges, but difficult to get into a flanking position without being killed off by shooting or magic first.  I would kill for these guys to have fast cav, but that dream my never come.  Still, they stay in the list.  Snails are f***ing awesome.

-My combat units are still ridiculous.  I can't think of a unit that I wouldn't plow into 1 on 1 with either of my units.  HIgh armor is an issue for the gors, but savage beast on the two characters in the unit will tear a unit of knights or MC to shreds.  The trolls with the bull are just mean.  He will win against almost any other character in a challange, and if I'm worried about the trolls whiffing their hits, I can just barf on the enemy.  

-The ghorgon is meh.   He kills, he stomps, he has no saves, he costs tons of points.  Nothing special about him, but he is great as a support unit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just wrote a big post, then it got deleted.  *sigh*  Here's the short version.

I had two great games with Nater and Exile last night.  The beasts came out on top in a pair of bloody, combat-heavy matches.  You two are both awesome, hope to play you again soon.

Lessons:

-The troll unit is awesome.  There isn't a unit in the game that I am scared of facing one-on-one with these guys.

-Gors kill a lot, but take a lot of wounds back.  I need to be sure that I can win if they get stuck in a grind.

I'll see about posting some pictures soon.  Painting is coming along nicely this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a lot of painting done in the last few weeks.  The ghorgon is done, razorgors are done, and I'm not about 75% done with the troll unit.  I picked up a box of crypt horrors and kit-bashed them just a bit to make some trolls.  They paint up quick, and look really nice.  I might drop some of my other troll models for more of these, as I really like the way they turned out.

I'm hoping to get the next chariot fully assembled and primed by this weekend, but that might not happen with the other projects going on.  My GF is just starting to get into WFB, and it is a lot easier to find time to work on models when it's what we both want to do.  

One more month, Beasts are going to be ready!

that troll unit is nasty.  huge kudos for that unit cause ive never came across a unit like that and it just totally kicked my butt, never thought trolls could delete 38 S6 longbeards... funny thing is in our game you didnt really get off any of the nasty buffs and still whooped me!!  your chaff is pretty darn good at redirecting and putting guys where you want them!  really cool list... also underestimated your bsb and mage in combat.  not many things can take down 28 hammerers... 

Thanks!  The army is all combat driven, if I can get into it with my big units then I can come out on top most of the time.   That gor unit loses a lot of it's scare factor if you dwindle it down before fighting with it.  Still, the characters are quite killy, and can make a mess of a unit by themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

Updates!  The guys from Smooth Criminals picked me up for OFCC, so I will be able to attend :D   

In other news, I have changed a few things about the list.  The trolls are gone.  It is a brutal unit, but between some raised eyebrows and a conflicting rule in the SoM book from joining them with characters, they got the boot.  It's no biggy, as I was getting tired of using the same list anyway.  In addition, the big unit of centigors got the boot.  I still plan to use some of the snail models in my Gor horde, but only the 5-man unit of centigors will remain.  They are a soft choice for sure, but have never made up their points in a single game that I've used them in.  

The new list looks like this:

LORDS – 665

Doombull – Flying Carpet, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, Great Weapon

Great Bray Shaman (General) – Level 4, Lore of Beasts, Fencer’s Blades,Talisman of Endurance, Jagged Dagger, Ironcurse Icon

HEROES – 206

Wargor – Battle Standard Bearer, The Beast Banner, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armor, Shield

CORE – 705

50 Gors - Champion, Standard Bearer, Musician                                                            

Tuskgor Chariot                                                                                                            

Tuskgor Chariot                                                                                                            

5 Ungor Raiders                                                                                                            

5 Ungor Raiders                                                                                                           

5 Ungor Raiders – Beastmen Ambush                                                                        

5 Ungor Raiders – Beastmen Ambush                                                                        

SPECIAL – 729

6 Minotaurs – Standard, Musician, Extra Hand Weapons                                    

5 Centigors                                                                                                                         

Razorgor                                                                                                                        

Razorgor                                                                                                                        

5 Harpies                                                                                                                        

5 Harpies                                                                                                                        

RARE – 495

Ghorgon                                                                                                                        

Hydra                                                                                                                                    

The Doombull have been upgraded to a flybull!  Shooting will be an issue for him with this build, but the added mobility makes him a true monster.  He also loses ASF, but 6 strength 8 attacks is nothing to scoff at.  The mino's will pack some punch, but are a situational unit.  Hopefully they will never go into a combat without support from a monster or the doombull.  The Hydra is there go give me another big meanie for the enemy to deal with.  I had a model that works for him, and with his high-survivability he seems to fit into the nurgle theme.   Another benefit of this list is that I have another banner point for the blood, glory, and monsters scenario. An extra point of fortitude never hurt :)

I'm excited to break out the list this Sunday to see how it does.  Between now and then I have plenty of painting to do!

I will try and post pictures later tonight, but no promises.

That sucks about the trolls.  I really liked them in your army.  They gave your army a nice threat and they weren't all that op.  The only thing I would have done was drop the item which gave them the ward save vs. flaming (for an OFCC event); however, again, I didn't think they were that bad.  I do like the flybull, if he's not killed in the first round from shooting, he is going to be a huge threat!  Glad to see that you have been picked up and will be attending OFCC.