Dreadnoughts

HeroZero

Thoughts on Space Marine Dreadnoughts?

Beyond Rifle men ( That's so 5th edition )

How would you equip them?

Venerable? Extra Armor?

Heavy flamer for Snap Fire?

Inquiring minds want to know.

So, there is an unique use for dreads in the more ranged shooting focused SM armies: Searchlights.

Deal is that in 6th, nightfighting can be very crippling, especially if the opponent ignores it (TAU, DE, SW, so forth). At the 36" mark, most units are usually in range, but occasionally you'll want to be able to hit a target beyond that range (like with a thunderfire cannon). In this respect, a dread with a pod has an unique value to the SM army, as backfield units cannot normally be targeted at night and the pod will assuredly land turn 1.

Beyond this, I recommend a regular ranged weapon and a DCCW. I like having the AP2 and S10 on a model that strikes in intiative order. It does help. This one is a matter of personal taste.

As for venerable Vs regular, your mostly paying for the increased BS and WS, as the venerable rule doesn't aid you against glances (or D weapons). So, to this extent, I see more value with non-TL weapons mounted on venerable dreads and the TL weapons to be mounted on regular dreads.

Personally, I have three builds. TL Las/DCCW in a pod, MM/DCCW venerable in a pod, and a Psyrifle Dread (GK, no pod). I don't regularly field any of them, as I've found the pods to be difficult to transport (the model is huge!).

-Pax

As some one that fields dreads extremely regularly the tips above are good. Venerable really shines for the bs/ws upgrade and remember this when selecting their weapons. Ironclads are still really good. Either way I look at them to add weapons you don't have elsewhere in the army they are pretty reasonably priced chassis with lots of choices and can go in a pod. This is their niche you want a big bad heavy weapon right on top of the enemy? Send a dread, want a long range shooty piece? There are better choices.

As to actual armaments I enjoy multimeltas and assault cannons on venerable along with heavy flamers if I have the points. They die easy so I don't pack to much in. These are a little more resistant to single shot kills but get hull pointed regularly.

Iron clads are more resistant to getting hull pointed but suffer to big single shot kill weapons. I have yet to face "D" weapons nor would I choose to outside of apoc.

For me as  GK player Psyrifle Dreads are always in my lists. I like to put two in my lists. I put both of them on either side of my coteaz plasma cannon retinue behind an aegis. They don't always make their pts back but I find them to be such a useful tool they always make the cut. They count as anti transport, flyer, and even psyker defence.

6 Ironclads with a Heavy Flamer, a Meltagun, and 2 Hunter Killers each! Run them with the Iron Hands trait. Not competitive (get off me Abuse Puppy / Pretre) but certainly a cool look and lots of fun to play in my humble (lol) opinion.

The cornerstone of my build. I'm going with 3 Ironclads, a Contemptor, and 2 standards with long range fire power.

No love for the Plasma cannon I see.

I've always been a fan of the assault cannon however. 4 shots is fairly significant.

As for Ironclads. God I want to field two. But I need stupid right arms so I can Magnetize. I think the ven dread kit looks a lot cooler. That's what matters to me.

If I do bring dreads of course it will be two in pods.

(Third pod is sternguard.)

Two ironclads podding in on t1 can put early pressure on units that don't enjoy protracted combat or backfield units. 2 heavy flamers make cultist units sad.

• Like 1