X-Wing: pew pew, kerblammers

9 members have voted

1. 1. What Wave 4 ship are you most excited about?

• E-Wing
    • Z-95 Headhunter
    • TIE Defender
    • TIE Phantom

Where do you see that? The text I see is:

Rulebook pg 8

Evade (squiggle symbol)
Ships with the icon in their action bar may perform
the evade action. To perform this action, place one
evade token near the ship.
The player can choose to spend the evade token later
during the Combat phase to cancel one damage rolled
by the attacker (see page 12). Unspent evade tokens
are removed from all ships during the End phase.

Rulebook pg 12

Spending an Evade Token
If the defender has an evade token, he may return
it to the action token supply to add one additional (squiggle symbol)
result to his defense roll (see “Combat Phase
Example” on pages 14–15).

The Combat Phase Example on page 14 shows an Evade token being used and it doesn't add a die to the play area, it just sits in the play area next to the dice and counts as a squiggle.

I still think you're wrong on this one. Here's the specific wording on the "Add" rule

Rulebook pg 12:

Add: Some effects add a specific
result to the combat. To resolve this,
the player places a token or unused
die displaying this result into the
common area.

Since the rule gives the option of using a token instead of a die, you're not using "defense dice" to cancel Ten's crit, you're using the token. Ten's ability reads "When attacking, 1 of your (crit)transparent.png results cannot be canceled by defense dice." If it wasn't meant for evade tokens to cancel it, it would just say "When attacking, 1 of your (crit) results cannot be canceled."

There's no mention of it in the FAQ (which is still up, just googled X-Wing FAQ)

I did do a little bit more digging though and found a thread in the FFG Rules forums:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/98622-ten-numb-question/

The general consensus is that tokens can cancel Ten's crits, but no one really has any proof until the final post in the thread linking this preview article about the Autoblaster. The jist is that the Autoblaster's rules are: "Your (hit)transparent.png results cannot be canceled by defense dice." and FFG said in their preview article: "Though the Autoblaster can only fire at Range “1,” it prevents opponents from canceling hit results; only evade tokens can quell the fury of an Autoblaster barrage." (emphasis mine)

I think this is as definitive as we're going to get until another FAQ is released, but I would say the preview article pretty clearly shows FFG's stance that "cannot be canceled by defense dice" rules can be cancelled by evade tokens.

I still think you're wrong on this one. Here's the specific wording on the "Add" rule

Rulebook pg 12:

Add: Some effects add a specific

result to the combat. To resolve this,

the player places a token or unused

die displaying this result into the

common area.

Since the rule gives the option of using a token instead of a die, you're not using "defense dice" to cancel Ten's crit, you're using the token. Ten's ability reads "When attacking, 1 of your (crit)transparent.png results cannot be canceled by defense dice." If it wasn't meant for evade tokens to cancel it, it would just say "When attacking, 1 of your (crit) results cannot be canceled."

So if an opponent grabs an agility die instead of the evade token, then Ten can cancel it; but if you grab a token, he cannot? Do you honestly believe that was their intention? The reason they give you the choice is because they serve an identical meaning and function so it doesn't matter which you grab. A few more quotes to illustrate:

Page 12

"Modify Defense DICE: During this step, players resolve abilities and spend tokens that allow them to modify defense DICE. This including adding defense DICE,...If the attacker and defender both have abilities that can modify defense DICE, the attacker resolves all of his abilities before the defender."

Page 8

"Modify Defense DICE: Players can spend action tokens and resolve abilities that reroll or otherwise modify defense DICE results." This one really slams it home. They use tokens to modify DICE. They aren't a different thing, just a reminder that you have a successful evade on an agility die whenever you want to use it (unless Ten Nunb is shooting you)

At the time the rulebook was written, the rules about things that cannot be cancelled by defense dice didn't exist so my interpretation is simply that the "place a token or unused die" wording is just there as a convenience since at that point in the game there were no effects that differentiated between the two. Either one is just there as a marker showing the (Squiggle) Result. You left off an important part in your quote:

Rulebook pg 12:

During this step, players may resolve abilities and
spend tokens that allow them to modify defense dice.
This includes adding die results, changing die
results, and rerolling dice

The definition of the keyword Result is: "The faceup side of each die" This means that dice essentially generate Results. And once again from the 'Spending an Evade Token' section: "If the defender has an evade token, he may return it to the action token supply to add one additional (Squiggle) result to his defense roll." This means that in addition to dice generating results, Evade Tokens can also, separately, generate Results. Here is my example:

Ten rolls 3 attack dice and gets (Crit), (Eye), and a blank. His Results, generated by the dice, are (Crit), (Eye).

He uses a Focus token to Change the (Eye) to a (Hit). His Results become (Crit), (Hit).

The defender rolls 3 defense dice and gets (Squiggle), (Squiggle), and a blank. His Results are (Squiggle), (Squiggle)

He uses an Evade token to Add one additional (Squiggle) Result to his defense roll. His Results are now (Squiggle), (Squiggle), (Squiggle)

He cancels the (Hit) using a (Squiggle) Result generated by his defense dice. He can't use his defense dice to cancel the (Crit), so he uses the (Squiggle) Result that was generated by his Evade token. The attack misses.

I think it's pretty straightforward that the pilot rule specifically says "dice", which are a different generator of Results than tokens, but the Autoblaster preview article pretty much seals the deal.

Also,

Frank Brooks fbrooks@fantasyflightgames.com
8:35 AM (14 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Hello Kacy,

In response to your question:

Rule Question:
Can crits done by Ten Numb be cancelled by evade tokens?

Yes. His ability explicitly calls out “cannot be canceled by defense dice” and evade tokens do not count as defense dice.

Similarly, hit results from an auto blaster can also be canceled by evade tokens for the same reason.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks
Associate Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
  • Like 1

Thanks for looking into that, Kacy!

Wow that's a poorly worded rule. The rulebook makes no distinction between evade dice and dice results because there was no difference when the rulebook was written. They use "defense dice" as a catch-all term over and over again in the book and it very clearly includes evades in that. Then they use the exact same wording again and we're supposed to assume it means something different because they continued to not specify a difference.

Anyway, at least it's settled.

I'm warming up to the Defender a bit. I have no idea how it will play until I throw it out on the field, but I'm feeling better about it than before. A few more lists I'm going to need to try:

[35] Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Targeting Computer

[35] Colonel Vessery

[30] Delta Squadron Pilot

Lots of locks for Vessery to take advantage of and still has Soontir so can't be bad there. Only 3 ships, but 2 of them being sturdy Defenders makes me feel a little better.

-----

[33] Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Stealth Device

[25] Royal Guard Pilot + Push the Limit

[12] Academy Pilot

Double Interceptors, a Defender, and a baby TIE to get in the way sounds fun.

-----

[29] Turr Phennir + Veteran Instincts + Stealth Device

[25] Royal Guard Pilot + Push the Limit

[16] Scimitar Squadron Pilot

Same idea, but you trade Soontir to Turr to get a Bomber over a Fighter.

-----

[34] Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Munitions Failsafe

[33] Delta Squadron Pilot + Stealth Device

[33] Delta Squadron Pilot + Stealth Device

Soontir with a couple of hard to hit sturdy wingmen sounds fun too. Failsafe is on there because having Init with Soontir is actually a bad thing.

I printed myself out a couple of Defender dials so I'm going to be looking to proxy it up on Tuesday probably.

Oh man, new FAQ and Tournament Rules are up.

Some interesting changes/notes:

• The lower point person or the person winning the coin toss now gets to pick who has initiative. I'm excited about this as having init is a bad thing for some squads. 
  • Modified wins got reduced in likelihood as you now need just need to be over 12 points above your opponent to get a full on match win.
  • Standard tourney size is still 100, but there are now official rules for Escalation events that see players escalating their squads throughout the event. I'm tempted to run our next tournament like this.
  • Events are now broken down to either being "Casual", "Competitive", or "Premier" with Competitive and Premier being required to use the stricter Action Resolution rules (congrats Josh)
  • Still reading through the FAQ, but it looks really nicely put together.

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.