Rebuilding Eldar wraith list

Torg

Ok, here is my semi annual Eldar list building post. But as it turns out I may be back with time to devote to the hobby in the spring. Currently I have some extra funds to devote to filling gaps or filling in needs. Anyhow, this is my best opportunity to get going is in my sights. So this leads to how? Ok my core list is wraithguard... Warwalkers... Wraithlords... And a few bikes. I am very short on wave serpents so they are on my purchase list.

I'm looking to make purchases now — to make a list that should be a fun all comers affair. Looking to get at least one wraithknight (is two to much?). It's been awhile so now that a couple new books are out since the new Eldar codex. What now do I need to worry about. Is a wraith list viable in the current meta? What is considered a must have this year?

My hope is to be playing regularly by spring ... And preferably with a list I could take to events and game nights alike -- fun and not overly worried about face stomping.

-d

I played a Wraith list, it was 1500 pts.  I think that it needed some tweaks, but here it was:

Spirit Seer

Wraith Blades (axes/shields)(5)

Wave Serpent with Twin Linked Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Field

Wraith Guard (5)

Wraith Guard (5)

Wraithlord:

Sword, Missile Launcher, Starcannon

Wraithlord

Brightlance, Starcannon

Crimson Hunter Upgraded to Exarch

I believe it comes out to 1500 clean.

If it were 2k, I'd add probably another Squad of Wraith Blades or Guard, another spirit seer, and then who knows.  Another flyer instead of those?  Not sure.  Wraith Knight is still a joke...

wraith knight a joke… because its ineffective? or has a giant target on its back? or is just broken?

A while back Jolly ork's Eldar wiped me off the board at the end of turn two; my lone moral victory was insta-killing his wraith knight with a nurgle DP swinging a balesword. I am definitely not saying it's a joke but like most things it does have some bad match ups. It sure is a great looking model.

so taking 2 wraithknights in a list isn't… Cheese?  lol.  I was thinking… "what is the smallest figure count I could get away with"… in my wraith list.  A Wraithwall strike force.  I thought of the jets - 2 wraith knights - wraith guard mounted in serpents.  Jetbikes… something' - something' like that.  Possibly OTT?  or still funnish and mid range tourney?  I am ok with insta-kill on my stuff - it happens all the time.  I play for the fun - and wanting to be bringing a list that can at least compete.

-d

I have found the Wraithknight to be ineffective in most games.  It's base point cost being what it is, with two guns that are great, but I haven't found anyone who has feared the guy.  I've lost him in almost every battle, and that's with him hanging out in cover or something.  I think he's lived in two games, and he's not a very big factor in those games.  He draws fire, that's his best attribute.  He's been absolutely destroyed be a swarm of Deamonettes, killed by a Trygon, and Land Raiders.  His T8 means that his armor is often a joke, because whatever is going to hit him is going to ignore the armor.  He's difficult to get good enough cover at times, so he's having to be screened.  His two guns are amazing, but for 240 pts, there are a lot of times he just cannot kill enough to warrant his cost.  If he's not shooting vehicles, or big bad monstrous creatures, he's not paying for himself.  He's virtually worthless against horde armies, unless you buy the really expensive, let's make him 300 points variety, in which case I could have two wave serpents which deal much more damage.  

Is he nifty?  Yeah, he looks awesome.  I bought one day one.  However, I find myself not taking him in most battles at this point.  If it's under 2500 points I don't even bother.  There are much better ways to spend your points.

I think there are other ways to spend one's points, but wraithknights are pretty darn effective.  

I wonder what else is in your list, because, when I see wraithknights working well it is when they are in pairs or more.  They act as a real threat to a lot of things and then if you back it up with speedy eldar stuff that is good at taking out hordes, they really help you out.  

So instead of one massive point sink I should do two?

Thanks, but no thanks.  The last few times I ran them, they had Wraithlord support, and wave serpents and warp spiders flying around. I didn't really expect it to live really.  Deamons chew them up pretty quickly when you face a ton of Slaneesh, and the last few armies had a bunch of heavy weaponry which makes short work of the guy.  To drop 480+ points on two of them?  Sorry, I have better, more effective ways of spending my points.

I'm with you on the Wraithknight distaste. Partly, I'm disappointed with the model, which doesn't have that spindly, fragile look that I associate with Eldar. Mostly, though, because it's so darn expensive (pointwise). For its points, it can't do THAT much in a game. I know folks love it, but I don't care for them. I did have my own nice Balesword moment when my GU1 got to ID a Wraithknight. Whiffed the first turn (when I charged), but got it during my opponent's turn (keeping me protected in combat for a turn). It was fun, and an experience I hope to repeat. :)

Torg, consider a unit of wraiths with D-scythes. They are hella expensive, but considering the flamer template will catch at least 4 models, a unit of 5 will be wiping out 10 marines in one turn easily (provided you have the wave serpent to get them where they need to be). Add in doom (if you can roll it) and they are a brootal murder squad of bloody death. They don't benefit from spirit mark, but they make great use of the primarus power you get from the Iyanden spirit seers.

• Like 1

I've never used one, but I've gone up against one a number of times, and I have to say it's really hit and miss. Some Armies really have trouble dealing with one, and against those, it can be an amazing Board Control tool, but other Armies have massed Poison or good access to Instant Death or just good fast tarpits or whatever, and can handle one easily.

well for inclusion sake - I have to get at least one wraith knight… I play apoc… and have taken more than one Revenant… same hit-an-miss goes on there.  I have lost my revenant in the first turn - as about as much as I lasted into the mid game lol.  I also plan to get a fighter as well… ( I saw a nice conversion on one to allow use of both flyer types with magnets).  And on top of that I will be picking up a couple additional Wave Serpents.  Lastly, I will probably pick up at least one box of the newer wraith guard for the scythe unit.  

as for as the defensive wall goes - how decent are they?  I picked one modeled for "elder" off CMON a couple months back… I even have older Eldar Guardians to put behind it LOL.

-d