Southern Oregon Tournaments

spacewolved

Hey guys! So from what I gathered from this forum, most of the people on here are from the Northwest. With that said, what would you need to see from a tournament in Southern Oregon to get you to travel?  Prizing, comp system, restrictions? With a new game store opening up in the region, the owners would like to hold a tournament that would cater to the tastes of the region. Any suggestions? 

Hah, sorry I skimmed over that part of the original post that you so clearly posted, I'm notorious for that.  

I'm speaking hypothetically here, having lived in Medford and Bend, but currently living in Kentucky.  Even living in Medford, to make the drive to GP for a tourny, I'd have to see Prize support.  I think having a comp system in place, with things like TSHIFT, NOVA and even OFCC as a reference point would help increase the draw.  I wouldn't expect to have regular monthly turn out from the 503, honestly.  Rather, gearing towards a yearly, or seasonal event would do more to increase turn out, in my opinion.  

We've got a decent-sized crew of Corvallis folks who are willing to do some traveling to go to tournaments, so if things are happening definitely keep the word out there. As far as what we'd like to see, I can't speak for absolutely everyone, but having done some polling of the group for our own tournaments and from talking to other folks, generally folks hate Escalation with a passion, don't feel terribly strongly about the dataslates or Stronghold Assault, and are slightly disinclined against Forge World.

Prizes of some sort are, of course, a bit obligatory, but I think for a lot of folks the specific prizes themselves are not a major part of the decision process. TSHFT offers tickets to future events, Guardian Cup raffles off product (with winners getting more raffle entries), and some tournies just give straight-up store credit- all of these seem to work reasonably well and I haven't heard many complaints about any of them. So long as the prizes you're offering are at least somewhat commensurate with the entry fee, you should be relatively fine.

I'm not much of a fan of comp, but I do like to see prizes for different things- one for generalship, one for painting, etc. I think it works a lot better to have separate judging and prizes for different sorts of things, rather than combining them into a single "this is the one big prize for being the best at everything," although I understand for smaller events that isn't as feasible. Pure win/loss systems are likewise preferable to "battle point" systems, although they tend not to work for very large numbers of participants (unless you break things into brackets, the way NOVA and Guardian Cup do.)

I think that separating the Paint and sports score from battle points is usually popular with us.  We've had situations where a guy lost two out of three and won best overall.  He's a swell guy and all but that was ridiculous.  So scoring is usually a hot topic around O-town.

other than that, i like to go to tournies that are aiming to make it accessible to the newest player, which means yeah, saying no to some of the shenanigans.  TO's hate to be the "bad guy" by barring some things but if it encourages newer players to compete, I'm all for it.

I would like to see a tournament with Best General, Best Paint, best Sportsman, and Best Overall as prize categories. I also like tournaments where "anything goes" - Escalation, Stronghold Assault, etc. I think those supplements add interesting options to the game.

I don't like events with comp scores, as all comp does is make different armies "top-tier".

As AbusePuppy said, win/loss scoring is much better than battle point scoring. You should get the same points whether you table someone or win by a single victory point. This discourages one-sided games and keeps both players interested in the game.

You won't be able to make an event that caters to everybody, though. Realistically I'll drive several hours to any event as long as it has good attendance and prize support. Maybe keep the events quarterly to keep interest and attendance up.

Thanks guys. I just ran a small tournament that included everything (Escalation, Stronghold Assault, Forgeword) and went off of win/loss with bp breaking ties. Have prizes out for 1st- 3rd, Best Painted, Best Non-Escalation. It worked pretty well. I have no problem not including Escalation, Stronghold Assault. Data slates don't really seem to be an issue as none of them are cheap to add and I really think nids will need them. Really not a fan of comp. It doesn't do what it was designed to do.

Well I'm liking the feedback. Hopefully we will be able to get something going in the next couple months.