What would you think of this army?

AgentP

I've been in a modeling lull.  My enthusiasm for these games is driven by what pet project has me obsessed, and lately I haven't had one.  

I've always been a huge WWI history buff - Flanders Fields, etc.  A long while back I collected some steel legion, death korp, and various third-party long coat troops.  They've been on my "to do" list for a while.  I toyed with creating a trench board, etc.  Always seemed like a good idea, but a little out there.  Then I read stronghold assault….

I'm captivated by creating an army where the terrain and board is the heart of the army itself.  The fortifications are as much a part of the army, it's painting style and how it plays, as the little men themselves.  But the gauge of a good idea is whether it would be fun to be across the table from.

So I'm curious what people would think if at a friendly event, say OFCC, if you faced an army that was 700-800 pts in fortifications, i.e., nearly 50% of the total, some emplaced artillery like heavy mortars and thudd guns, maybe a tank bunkered down, and greatcoat troops scurrying along the muddy trenches?  Would that much fortification sour you?  Would you feel that playing such a static and unmoving army was a wasted round?  Or would it be something different and fun to play against?

• Like 2

My friend uses the fortress. He has three psykers casting prescience on two units of 5 plasma cannons, and a unit o 5 missiles....sticks a Storm behind it w the objectives he hides behind the fortress and just chucks dice and Nhal wondstorms atcha. Risky as hell to DS Around a storm. Fun? Better pray you have some nice 48" str 9 guns, ot lances!