Web Way Portals...

Got some DE, been looking at their options. Webway portals are very interesting.

First interesting bit is the second to last sentence:

If you have a webway portal in your army, you may keep units in reserve, regardless of the mission being played.

Obviously, the codex is older than the BRB, but I'd argue this one means that the DE don't have to follow the 50% deployment rule if they bring webway portals.This one is not FAQed.

m1460556a_99220112001_DarkEldarWebwayPor

So the GW webway portal, above, is neat in the respect that it prevents the classic tactic of parking on top via it's round exterior. It also blocks more TLOS.

Anyway, for uses, presently I don't have a full DE force, so they'd be desperate allies for my GK or IG. The webway has limited value in such a list, but it does present an alternate deployment position. This really matters given the "one eye open rule" as a webway would permit units to never meet each other.

One particular usage, is that you can combine them with the emergency escape hatch on a building. So, building on the edge of your deployment zone, escape hatch at the edge of your table half, disembark 6" and 3" webway is deployed in base contact. So, 9" into their deployment zone you'd have a spot to spawn reserves....

As for uses with units, basically anything that can emerge and shoot has value with these. Aside from being portable impassible terrain, the DE have many units that would put a pretty impressive hurt on a super heavy that got too close to the webway.

For apocalypse, I really like the aerial version of the webway portal, which is a 5" portal that my vehicles can emerge from. That would be so awesome for normal 40k....

-Pax

The webway portal just allows reserves, even if the mission does not.  No where does it say you can reserve more then 50% of your army.

The 50% thing is mission specific. Not kidding, some missions don't use it.

Anyway, that was a minor point. I don't have a full DE army, so it does not matter to me. I will note that even if more than 50% of the army was reserve, the webways don't deploy themselves and the DE lack turn 1 reserve units, so less than 50% starting would risk wipes a good deal more.

-Pax

Really?  I will have to go back and read.  This could be an interesting tidbit for future games.

It's a loose thing. The half reserves is part of the reserves mission special rule on page 124. Some of the GW missions modify the reserve rule. Some don't use it, usually the ones that don't use it have a special setting where the reserves don't make sense.

There's also a bunch of units with special rules that allow them to use reserves in missions that disallow reserves (like terminator deep strike).

-Pax

It's a loose thing. The half reserves is part of the reserves mission special rule on page 124. Some of the GW missions modify the reserve rule. Some don't use it, usually the ones that don't use it have a special setting where the reserves don't make sense.

There's also a bunch of units with special rules that allow them to use reserves in missions that disallow reserves (like terminator deep strike).

-Pax

Because the 50% reserves thing is part of the Reserves Rules, that means that that it is standard, unless something more specific overrides it, like some specific scenarios.

The Webway Portal does not do that. What it does do is allow you to use the Reserves Rules, without any particular exceptions, in Scenarios that do not normally allow Reserves at all. It does not override or alter any part of the Reserves Rules.

With the GW ones pictured above, do they grant cover saves for models behind them? Seems like those would obscure vehicles and such via TLOS. 5+ cover, or so.

I can certainly see merit in desperate allies with deployable walls....35pts is the same as it would cost for a pod, which is bigger and taller, but these aren't destroyable. No KP granted either.

-Pax

There is no cover saves.  I beleive the actual text makes clear that you lay the 3 inch template flat.  These are I think, vortex grenade markers and theior height is just for show.

That's were Ive seen those..

Yeah they are for the Vortex grenades and were available during the release of the recent Apoc book.I wanted to get one too but the GW shop was out;(

There is no cover saves.  I beleive the actual text makes clear that you lay the 3 inch template flat.  These are I think, vortex grenade markers and theior height is just for show.

GW re-boxed them as webway portals. Storm of magic uses them too, I think.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod900174a&setLocale=en_AU&_requestid=2372179

-Pax

PS: I've found good conversion guides using whiffle balls...