Deamons mono or mix?

I am delving into the new Deamons army book and trying to get a feel on the mono god vs mixed armies. I currently can fill up a mono Nurgle army easily. Two large units of plague bearers with a GD a few heralds, a unit of beasts and two soul grinders, mostly because I can and have them painted. 

I can add a core unit from tzeentch and Khorne. I have 5 juggernauts, 6 flamers, a GD of each. The main thing I would look at would be a Khorne cannon.

Any suggestions on the deamons?

Mono.god vs mix is a slippery slope. A lot of people view mix and match as cherry picking the power units (plaguebearers,khannons, beasts of nurgle, flesh hounds) but you can avoid that with reasonable player responsiblity.

Monogod can be pretty rough too especially mono nurgle do there is that.

It all comes down to player responsiblity. Responsible list builders build lists for mutual enjoyment, and take into account how their opponents play and feel.

If they enjoy hard WAAC lists by all means cherry pick.

If they enjoy fluffy soft lists, build accordingly.

It makes for a more enjoyable experience all around.

• Like 1

I can't believe this is even a question. :) Mostly Nurgle seems like a reasonable choice. What with the ability to mark furies and soulgrinders, you can really get a fair bit of diversity out of Nurgle. Fast and hard in the form of Drones. fast and cheap as furies. tough and brutal from beasts, etc.

If you've got the models, you might as well start with Nurgle, and proxy/add units as you go.

Mono Nurgle works and is a relatively forgiving build. Except some harry eye brows though when it's 95% Nurgle with 2 Skull Cannons.

MonoNesh/Khorne is well into the realm of tricky woo. Mono Tzeentch can work if you're willing to play Daemonic Wood Elves. I prefer mixed lists but it's also the only way I can get my standard MSU design to work with the book.

• Like 1

If you go all nurgle, you'll want some drones in there too.

Yeah I have a set that I was going to make for 40k but they are mostly based off some necron items. Not sure that will fit well in the old world.

I can assure you ratrek, that I will only bring the cannon if I have a core of Khorne. Just feels all dirty like otherwise.

I get the concerns about mixed gods being fluff butchery, but not the cheese concerns.

Any other book can pick and choose the most powerful elements and nobody bats an eye. If demons do it, however, they catch all kinds of flak for it. Never really seemed fair to me. Not that I'm encouraging you to build a tournament like list, I just don't think anyone should feel guilty about fielding different units that don't hold hands in the stories.

• Like 2

I get the concerns about mixed gods being fluff butchery, but not the cheese concerns.

Any other book can pick and choose the most powerful elements and nobody bats an eye. If demons do it, however, they catch all kinds of flak for it. Never really seemed fair to me. Not that I'm encouraging you to build a tournament like list, I just don't think anyone should feel guilty about fielding different units that don't hold hands in the stories.

Lol well there are a lot of wounds left over from 7th I guess. Wait was that 7th? I am kinda lost now with what book was where..

I like to know what the perceived thoughts are on an army just as much as the actual results. I will never forget a 40k game I had where I had a vindicator Space Marine tank keep half a table because my opponent was terrified of it. If I know what will bring up the bristles, sometimes it's worth it to avoid that just to make for a better game. 

Lol well there are a lot of wounds left over from 7th I guess. Wait was that 7th? I am kinda lost now with what book was where..

I like to know what the perceived thoughts are on an army just as much as the actual results. I will never forget a 40k game I had where I had a vindicator Space Marine tank keep half a table because my opponent was terrified of it. If I know what will bring up the bristles, sometimes it's worth it to avoid that just to make for a better game. 

Yeah 7th is when it all changed, but they kept it in this book so I think the chaos rainbow is here to stay. Your reasoning for avoiding those pitfalls is sound and I commend you for it, but it's just a bummer that's a factor when list building.

• Like 1

I don't know why people always jump to nurgle.  Tzeentch is great as well, you can even take things to altar the outcome of the roll in the daemon book for the winds of magic effect.  Don't discredit tzeentch.  I think a main force tzeentch with some additions from Nurgle (beasts), and Khorne (cannons) is a scary list.  Most players in our area seem to have hard-ons for nurgle though.

• Like 1

Nurgle isn't that scary to me.  Tzeentch and Slaanesh bring things most people aren't ready to deal with.  You can do LD bombs on units.  The magic is awesome for both Tzeentch and Slaanesh.  If I were to play Daemons, I'd start with either Tzeentch or Slaanesh and then look to the other Gods for some support options.  Nurgle is just too common and most of us understand how to play against them effectively.

• Like 1

For me, I went Nurgle because after buying a bunch of chaos stuff from a guy, I looked at my daemons and his daemons and they were almost entirely Nurgle (not enough to field of single core unit of anything else) and the last version Daemon book was due in a couple months and I was all "Holy Crap! I can do all Nurgle!!!". And so rules unseen I painted up an all Nurgle army.

• Like 1