*IMPORTANT* - Might be time to think about some rent fellas

Raak

Personally, I don't think the liquor license thing is gonna happen. I know he looked into it a bit when he first moved locations and almost made a move on the space where The Local is now. But his shop would require a fair bit of remodeling to add refrigeration, keg space, etc. Also, beer served in a floor with carpet floors seems like a recipe for disaster. And finally, there are plenty of underage people that go in there and parents would probably start steering their kids away if there are a bunch of drunk assholes in the back ("a holes" in Shae's case).

It would be a dream, but probably one we'll have to wake up from.

Guardian Games seems to have pulled it off really well...

I believe they have a back area for the 21+ "area"

I couldn't speak to that, I've never been. If he reserved the back area for 21+, he would see even less use out of the back room. I love the idea, but I think he'd have to move to a new location before it'd really be feasible.

Hello there,

A liquor license is a HUGE undertaking that requires a ton of commitment from the vendor, FYI:

Liquor License Applications

In order to sell alcoholic beverages at an eating or drinking establishment or at a special occasion within the City of Bellingham, a State liquor license is required.  The Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) issues the license only after receiving input from the City, and each application is investigated individually. To apply for a license, see the Applicant FAQ's on the WSLCB website.  The process typically requires 45 days from date of application (up to 60 days if applying in an Alcohol Impact Area).

Following is a general outline of the process followed once a Liquor License application is received at the City of Bellingham:

1. Review by Bellingham Police, Building Services, Finance and Fire Departments.  Review includes checking business license and registration, background check, permitting, fire safety and occupancy.
  2. Review by Whatcom County Health Department
  3. Approval by the Mayor's Office following all other reviews and approvals.
  4. Application is returned to the WSLCB for issuance of license. 

If a department needs additional time to accomplish their investigation, the City is able to request a “commitment term” from the WSCLB that requires the applicant to fulfill outstanding obligations to the City of Bellingham before they are able to obtain approval for their liquor license. All investigations within the City happen concurrently with the WSCLB’s license review process.  See Applicant FAQ's for more information on that process.

• Like 2

I believe that we have the smallest bit of right to bring this up with Nathaniel before he makes a final decision. Warhamsters were the biggest group to assist kicking his store off. We have been there for him. He at least owes us a chat.

I think anyone with an opinion should talk to him! There seems to be an us/them thing happening because there is all this discussion between us here but Nathaniel isnt on the thread. Last night he was actively soliciting opinions from the Privateer pressgangeer and a few others before I left. I would venture to say that he WANTS to hear what people have to say.

• Like 1

More of xbox 1s and that line of equipment, right jon?

He seemed focused on that until someone else pointed out the age demographic and how that affected a whole bunch of other variables etc. etc. Then he was talking PCs - Dota2, StarCraftII, EVE etc etc

I really think setting up something with the local next door would work.

I have been to guardian games once. It is a very large store. The 21+ gaming area is about the size of our back room gaming area plus some beers on tap. Being in Oregon, they must have different laws. 

I would say that bringing in xbox's to the second half of the back room would definitely change the feel of the room. It would become a very loud and busy place to play a game. 

• Like 1

It can if you'd like it to.  I don't really have many other options.

If it does really move it's welcome to stay and leave at will in my shop. I was mostly joking but God knows anyone who plays games would be hard pressed not to want to "help you out" by storing it. Simply put, it's magnificent. At any rate the offer is there.

I would say that bringing in xbox's to the second half of the back room would definitely change the feel of the room. It would become a very loud and busy place to play a game. 

He said he wants to do the bluetooth Turtle Beach Headsets so that the noise is contained but I don't think that will totally solve the noise problem. People having fun are loud. I know I am.

• Like 1

I wish him the best but the market for playing x box in a shop has to be smaller than the market for tabletop games.

May want to ask if he has met anyone that heads out to game any more, back in the day internet/console  cafes where out there but the cost of a box is to low for people to rent it by the hour.

I feel like he is cutting off his hand to fix a broken finger. How many shops are out there that work without adding another low revenue source.

The easy fast fix my be organisation as Jim said stock what sells. My son loves RPG games "Pathfinder" mostly but we cant buy from DTG there's no inventory to speak of.

Space usage is not capable of stocking a large supply of goods on display. His location has a lot of square footage and so little is used for inventory. More shelves lead to more options. 

The false wall that the paints are on could me moved allowing for a more open shop move the tabletop games the the side with the counters and you have a location that fits magic turnys and 40k by expanding who uses the open space. This area could also shelve board games, RPG games, or other large stock. The area would still be in line of sight of the register and allow crossover from the magic and tabletop crowd. granting income from  players being exposed to new games.

Last I think we need to support him and ask for support back. If no body knows there's a terny noone shows up. Also we could offer the house a cut from any of the club functions.

Thats my 2 cents We need to support DTG and we need his support to.

• Like 1

I think things like a decent POS system, tracking, doing something with the fallow back side, accepting online orders with PayPal + CCards and 10% discount for members are all things he said he was trying to spend his extra revenue now. This sounds good for everyone.

I think things like a decent POS system, tracking, doing something with the fallow back side, accepting online orders with PayPal + CCards and 10% discount for members are all things he said he was trying to spend his extra revenue now. This sounds good for everyone.

I think it should be something more like a 10% on purchases of over then $100...because %10 out of everything might cause a loss in money.

As for making sure everyone paid,I feel like itd be easy to do something where we just wear warhamster name tags whenever we go down, with a different color sticker for each month.

I really think setting up something with the local next door would work.

I talked to them before they opened and they expressed an interest in some sort of cooperation. They may be open to the idea--especially with 2 new breweries opening up within a mile of them soon. A little solidarity can go a long way in what is possibly a ballooning market.

I think anyone with an opinion should talk to him! There seems to be an us/them thing happening because there is all this discussion between us here but Nathaniel isnt on the thread. Last night he was actively soliciting opinions from the Privateer pressgangeer and a few others before I left. I would venture to say that he WANTS to hear what people have to say.

That's what I've been saying. When I walked in last night he was talking to a dude about in the back and made no effort to hide it as I walked in. I just was in a hurry so I couldn't chat. Remember, guys, he's a gamer first. He's not doing this to screw us and he will go with what is the fairest, financially viable deal. I'm more than willing to approach him with any proposals or suggestions or objections we can cook up as a club.

He said he wants to do the bluetooth Turtle Beach Headsets so that the noise is contained but I don't think that will totally solve the noise problem. People having fun are loud. I know I am.

Totally. I can tune out the sound of a videogame in the background. What I can't deal with someone who can't hear how loud he is and is facing 180 degrees from all of the glaring faces.

The false wall that the paints are on could me moved allowing for a more open shop move the tabletop games the the side with the counters and you have a location that fits magic turnys and 40k by expanding who uses the open space. This area could also shelve board games, RPG games, or other large stock. The area would still be in line of sight of the register and allow crossover from the magic and tabletop crowd. granting income from  players being exposed to new games.

Last I think we need to support him and ask for support back. If no body knows there's a terny noone shows up. Also we could offer the house a cut from any of the club functions.

I think a slight remodel there could really help things, but I wonder about cost/closure.

As to your last point, please understand he already does support us. His store could be half the size it is now and be a very successful MTG store. The back half is dead weight. With regard to the facebook page, can't we post on his wall or whatever from the Warhamster facebook? I don't know how all that [big bad swear word] works, but it's something like that...right?

• Like 1

I think it should be something more like a 10% on purchases of over then $100...because %10 out of everything might cause a loss in money.

As for making sure everyone paid,I feel like itd be easy to do something where we just wear warhamster name tags whenever we go down, with a different color sticker for each month.

O.K. that;s fair. but if the margin on GW is ~ 40-45% then there's some wiggle room for sure in there.

Or just make it a punch card like the snack thing.  Spend $100, get $10.  Round down on the purchase price, post-tax.

Can't say I much like the name tag idea though.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.