Gaming 3/11

Where were you?  I had to take on curmudgeon duties last week and I think I did it wrong.  I swallowed a cell phone and kicked a glass of whole milk up to someone's third story balcony.

I'm spoken for.  Loren is looking down the barrel of my kai gun or forty chain axes.  I can't decide.  If only forty chain axes were worth a single kai gun, I could flip a coin.

"Kai gun."  Just say it a bunch of times.  It loses all meaning very quickly.

I've got a game of Fantasy with Nathaniel. Dear sweet horrors, my Woodies are going to get shot to hell!

I think you could do alright. DE have lots of shots but should be fairly easy to make him hit on 6s. -1 for 2x shots, -1 for skirmishers. That puts the shots at a 5. As long as you stay out of 12", he can either stay still and hit on 6s, or move in closer and hit on 6s. I think your ItP dryads will be tough for him to erase, so use them to make him keep his distance from the things you're really worried about him shooting (glade guard will fold). Use your shooting to kill dark riders ASAP to even the odds of the shooting game--and because they are the only thing capable of keeping up with your Wild Riders.

Nathaniel also has a an unhealthy fear of firing big bolts with his throwers--which is great news for your treemen. As long as they don't get charged by Cold One Knights, he won't have anything to stop them. Just keep your eagles running interference and keep your treemen in gaps that the knights can't fit through. If he does start using big bolts, make sure to get to those bolt throwers as early as possible.

Also, make sure to save up dispell dice for his debuffs. He is prone to debuffing a tough unit such as your treekin and then just pin cushioning them with all his light fire. He also has a couple of units of shades so be wary of them getting behind your lines too. I think your list has a decent shot at beating him despite the overall power disparity. You are a tactical genius good sir. I agree with Kevin though in that you should mow down his fast cav asap especially his warlocks.

I like to leave a spot for shades to go, personally. I like bringing them in close, too close. A unit of dryads on the flank can deal with them fairly well, and if they're on the flank, their choice of targets is very limited and their ability to interfere with the main battle line is non-existant. They can be a pain for armies without the shooting or freedom of movement to threaten them (like WoC) but against armies as fluid as WE, I think leaving them a hiding spot effectively gets them out of your way.

As to the magic, yeah, Nathaniel likes to create a 2-hit combo. Debuff with magic, pepper with shooting. If you reduce the effectiveness of one, both suffer. Focus on the debuffs early game, and his shooting won't impress. If you kill his shooting, you can suffer debuffs without much consequence. But the non-dubuff aspects of Lore of Shadow won't be terribly effective against WE--inititative tests and the like...

Cheers, thanks for the advice! I've been listening to some Wood Elf tactics podcasts, and winning the shooting/support game seems pretty important. One thing I've considered is pushing forward with my Wildriders fairly early (say, into a forest or some cover), to try threaten some of his shooting and warmachines early on. Best case scenario, he'd focus some shooting there and leave a couple to take out a warmachine. The other situations would see him ignoring them (probably his best bet) and letting them run rampant, or devoting shooting to them and giving my other units another turn to whittle his units down. Still, seems like a big sacrifice, though.

I'm pretty sure I can deal with his fast cav. My archers are better than his, I've got 2 strangleroots, and my dryads and wildriders are maneuverable, fast, and should shred those units. Hopefully I can set up some "no fly" zones to keep them from doing too much useful. It's honestly those boltthrowers I'm worried about. 1 regular bolthrower shot or 6 s4 hits, right? Do those 6 shots still ignore armour? Many multi-shot penalty?

You are a tactical genius good sir. 

And with a honeyed tongue like that, you're my new favorite person!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.