Tyranids 8th Ed. Question

PumpkinHead

I am trying to wrap my mind around this new pay for all wargear thing. So if I have a flying hive tyrant and I want to give it deathspitter with slimer magots, do I have to pay for 4 of them? Or 2 because they come in pairs? Also, there is no twin linking, so if I have 4 do I get 12 shots, or is it 2 pairs and I only get 6 shots?

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

So, if I don't give my big beasts a melee weapon they pretty much suck because they will only do one wound with no sort of bonus for being a MC... 

Other than the high strength?  5 attacks hitting on 2+ at s6 is pretty good.  Also, you get one attack that does d3 damage...

• Like 1

Back to my original question. I was tinkering around a bit more and under the monstrous bio-weapons section it says "Two deathspitters with slimer maggots". The hive tyarnt line states "may replace one pair of monstrous scything talons with one item from the monstrous bio cannons list."  That to me means I can trade my pair of ST for 2 deathspitters. Now, for the points... Points per weapon for the deathspitter is 10, and the points per weapon for the monstrous ST (hive tyrant) is 31, but two pairs is 41.  So I would assume that a pair of monstrous scything talons is 31 points and you aren't paying 62 points for 2 scything talons when you can get two pairs for 41. Along that line of reasoning I would think you get 2 deathspitters for 10 points and 4 deathspitters for 20 points.

I only go back to this because 20 points makes a big deal in list writing. I don't want to cheat anyone.

In the Points section, the Scytals are listed as pairs, but the DeathSpitter is listed as singular. I assume this is to leave them the freedom to, at some point, introduce a Model that uses a single DeathSpitter with Slimer Maggots, but regardless of the reason, it's pretty clear to me that it's 10 Points per MC DeathSpitter*. There would be some notation about pairs, or it would be listed as "two DeathSpitters with Slimer Maggots", or something like that, if it were 10 Points for the pair.

*That would be an awesome name for a rapper.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree with you now. Going over it the first few times it takes me a bit to figure it out. It would have made more sense if they would have been a bit more explicit with their descriptions. You can't buy the DS w/ SM singularly, just like you can't have a singular ST. So to have one price for a pair of ST, but then make you buy 2 DSw/SM doesn't make sense in my head.

• Like 2