Warhammer 40k Airfield

Chikin

I'm trying to plan out my display board for next year's OFCC.  My idea is to have an army of Genestealer Cultists and Brood Brothers from the Elysians.  I want to build an airstrip and am at a loss for ideas of where to get started on the terrain parts. 

Does anyone have suggestions for terrain pieces that would fit this theme?

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Chikin said:

I'm trying to plan out my display board for next year's OFCC.  My idea is to have an army of Genestealer Cultists and Brood Brothers from the Elysians.  I want to build an airstrip and am at a loss for ideas of where to get started on the terrain parts. 

Does anyone have suggestions for terrain pieces that would fit this theme?

I think the 40k setting is mostly VTOL, at least on the imperium side. 

GW did make https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Skyshield-Landing-Pad?_requestid=3974200 

While FW made https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Imperialis-Landing-Pad and https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Realm-of-Battle-Space-Marine-Castellum-Stronghold 

I would imagine an imperium "airstrip" to consist of multiple landing pads like the above, then maybe a central control tower. You could scratch build any of the above, but they are good reference points.

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I think the 40k setting is mostly VTOL, at least on the imperium side.

A bunch of the FW Flyers aren't VTOL, as far as I can tell. The Xiphon, Thunderbolt, Marauder, Lightning, and Avenger all look like they need a proper runway, and I know I've seen references to at least some of them having airfields with runways. I think they just don't make Terrain for them because it would be like thirty feet long.

• Like 1

Does it need to be a strip necessarily? There are several great looking landing pad terrain kits. If it is a strip I think it would be more interesting if it were raised somehow... maybe one of those carrier slingshots? You definitely need a tower and some checkerboard radio shelters. Aircraft hangar or elevator? Fly into a waterfall batman style?

55 minutes ago, Brick Bungalow said:

Does it need to be a strip necessarily? There are several great looking landing pad terrain kits. If it is a strip I think it would be more interesting if it were raised somehow... maybe one of those carrier slingshots? You definitely need a tower and some checkerboard radio shelters. Aircraft hangar or elevator? Fly into a waterfall batman style?

That’s a damn cool idea.  Have an edge of the board with a mountain / waterfall that is open and you can see an airstrip lit up in there.  Outside of the mountain is a single landing pad with a tower, surrounded by jungle.  The cultists are in the jungle and the base.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 6:40 PM, Chikin said:

That’s a damn cool idea.  Have an edge of the board with a mountain / waterfall that is open and you can see an airstrip lit up in there.  Outside of the mountain is a single landing pad with a tower, surrounded by jungle.  The cultists are in the jungle and the base.

Scale is all wrong, but this idea reminds me of a toy I used to own: https://picclick.com/1992-Galoob-Micro-Machines-Battle-Zones-Secret-Summit-153171558137.html 

On 10/3/2018 at 8:59 AM, Chikin said:

That looks pretty good for the full 6x4 table, but they don't have a 2x2 that I want to use for a display board.

Not sure you'll be able to fit an airstrip on a 2'x2' unless it's little more than a helipad. Perhaps only make a partial airstrip for the display board, and then just leave the remainder implied.

I plan to do something like that toy.  

Where one side of the board is a mountain with an opening.  I’m not sure yet if it’s going to be doors or a waterfall that is split to show an airstrip that is implied going further into the mountain.

Outside the mountain is going to be a couple of sentry guns and a sky shield landing pad.