Kings of War community?

Talapas

What is the community like for Kings of War.  I've been looking at it as I like some of the rules, but don't know how easy it will be to find a game or community that fits me.   Do any stores in the Willamette Valley keep product in stock?  Anything I should know about the game?  

I appreciate any help that people can provide.

Thanks,

Chris

I know GG has some mantic stuff. I think there is a group that plays on a regular basis up in Vancouver. Besides that, I don't know of any regular players. For whatever reason, the WFB players just didn't take to it in Portland. There are a few of us that play casually, but that's about it. Of course I could be wrong. Hopefully others will be able to give you a better answer. I know some of the old WCP crowd up in Canada are really into it. It is a solid rule set with lots of armies to choose from. Nearly every WFB army can be played using their rules. You do lose the variety of units and abilities, and they don't really support the huge models that came out in 7th and 8th. But as KoW is footprint based instead of variable unit size, you have lots of options to create a thematic base to represent a unit.

• Like 2

@Nick! I SUMMON THEE

Nick is the man for KoW in the Portland/Vancouver area. From what I understand it is pretty big in Seattle, so there is a decent community and tournament scene up there.

The local scene is a great bunch of chaps to play with. I think most of them actually live in Portland, but yes normally folks play up in the 'couv.

The game is good, well balanced, yet does not offer a huge amount of faction identity relative to other mass R&F games. Rules are clean and crisp, the games are fast, and the feeling of mass R&F warfare is there without the tedium of rolling separate dice for 5 different profiles and initiative steps. Some of us are just into that level of tedium 😄

• Like 2

TO WHAT PURPOSE HAVE I BEEN SUMMONED?

Oh, Kings of War.  Neato.

We are just finishing up a campaign up here in Vancouver.  We normally play one Sunday morning a month

I know there is another group that is heavier into tournaments and such- I have their emails, but they aren't on Ordo.  They run 1-2 tournaments a year here in Portland.  Two day affairs at guardian, last year they were in summer.

Guardian has some stock, and can special order.

If you wanted to come watch some games, I can accommodate that.  Next time is March 17th.

TO RANK AND FLANK HELL I RETURN, WAITING FOR SOME FOOL MORTAL TO SUMMON ME AGAIN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Yep, I attended the event held at GG last summer. It was run by a fellow named Dan Wright who I don’t believe has any Ordo presence. He and another guy named Dustin head things up in Portland in terms of the events I’ve seen for KoW down there, but again no Ordo presence. 

One of the worst parts of KoW to me is that the community has really hitched itself to the Facebook wagon so, if you want to get in touch with people, that’s the social media outlet to do it on. Main group is Pacific Northwest Kings of War which encompasses the entire PNW, but they’ll sort you out in terms of game nights and such if you ask. 

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel Wright and Dustin Church head up the Portland scene.  We actually have a one day event coming up may 18 in Olympia.  Coming to that(whether you play or not) would be a great way to get in touch with the community.  As Kremmet said most of the communication is done via Facebook.  To get connected feel free to friend me(Ryan Munsell) or join the Kings of War Pacific Northwest Facebook group.  IMO it's a great community.  Some NorCal guys often come up to our events as well. 

• Like 1