AM list for tournament.

spacewolved

On wording:

You're right, there is no Precision SHot special rule as such, and so this issue clearly needs an FAQ since strict RAW ends up in a null set.

For RAI I try to follow wording intention with common sense as a guide. We should want to follow what the rules-smith originally meant, not an interpretation of fairness. It's not an exact science so people disagree.

At the same time I desperately want an unambiguous and balanced ruleset. Since there is ambiguity I can see taking balance into consideration. However the meta has shifted, and short of drastic measures like comp you can't put the genie back in the bottle regarding certain OP ally based combos and deathstars. So maybe we should let the basic guardsmen kick some ass if you don't remove their support units. It would make heavy weapon teams worth their price as an overcosted glass cannon unit suddenly has utility that could justify it's high price and fragility.

On power level:

Let's look at some stuff that's legal but broken. I faced a unit of Wraithguard, Toughness 6, with an attached T3 Baron with a 2++ shadowfield, and with Fortune that is a re-reollable save. So, now you not only need 6's to wound a T3 model stuck out in front but each wound has only a 1/36 chance of going through. Ok, so you charge the unit, but Baron has Hit and Run so the lumbering Wraithguard do a few flips and a triple lutz and end up like 8 inches away in a direction of their choice. Precision shot en masse would be one way to counter this trick and you could chip at least chip away at the Wraithguard unit. On the other hand, in casual play losing 90% of your melta guns and half your sergeants Turn 2 would suck.

Competitive 6th edition has drifted into the shenanigans era of 40k, approaching 2nd edition for Hero-hammer, but only with a handful of units. I don't want to end up running what I see as broken combos and netlists, while still trying to take a list that has a chance to win Best General.

Locally I'm faced with a 2+++ Fateweaver Flying Circus that laughed in the face of my Chaos Marines and an IG / Ork combo that I thought had sufficient anti-air. It didn't.

I can certainly see the point about some of the spikes in power levels (although I think you're overestimating that baron/Wraithguard unit a lot- 12" range? Yeah, I'll just leave those jerks to sit around and do nothing for most of the game, and if they do get anywhere near pummeling them with S6+ shots will wear them down quick- Baron really can't risk failing that 2+, even with a reroll.)

But how would adding another problematic ability (i.e. "everything is Precision") help in any way? It's not going to get used on Heavy Weapons Squads because those are terrible- like all the other orders, it's going to get used where it is most effective, on a big blob of dudes. If the problem with the game is power levels, pushing the power level up further certainly isn't the solution.

Well from what I read, and the general thinking in my area (southern Oregon), you do indeed get precision shots on all hits with the take aim order. I think this is great because IG/AM have a tool against deathstars that have one or two guys casting their powers. Or buff commanders. Either way its not gamebreaking.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

At double tap range of blob that is 30 hits from las, at t4 10 wounds, t5 5 wounds. Neither is scary but if you some of those plasma or melta, then that is a bit op. I don't play deathstars, so now you can remove my special/heavy weapons from my squads with little resistance.