OFCC 2020 XWing 1st edition FREE FOR ALL

2020 OFCC Xwing  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a Friday FFA event?

• Heck yeah!
    • Nah bro..

I am in the musings phase of putting together a 3-or-so hour game of Xwing as a Friday event at OFCC this year.

The idea is to have a Free for all, 8 players max, on one 2' x 2' board. Players would be limited to 1 ship, build would be something like 30 points.

Ruleset would be first edition, and I have all 3 factions and tons of duplicate ships, really enough to field like 8 regular 150 point games at once.

The idea is that players are awarded points for doing damage to each other and scoring kills. If your ship is destroyed, you respawn at the cost of a couple points. Players can take breaks, refit or totally switch out their ships and just re-enter the fray at the start of any turn. There will also be special objectives/achievements to score extra points.

Tournament would be 3 rounds with as many turns as can be completed in a set time limit (45-60 min). Each player's activation will have a time limit to keep things quick and exciting, don't over think it!

The first round would be a simple standard setup, mostly open space with some space debris. Second round would have custom nebula terrain with random effects to your ship if you pass through them. Last round would have a custom imperial space station at the center with NPC gun turrets and roaming NPC tie fighters using a very clever AI system. The purpose here is to just add a bit of chaos.

I can supply everything needed (mat, pieces, tokens, upgrade cards, etc). 

I wanted to solicit interest in this sort of thing. I have already put together most of a ruleset which I feel is pretty solid. No idea on cost, but I am hoping we can keep it low. Casuals and noobs to Xwing absolutely encouraged (ill tech you how to play before the first round starts). Or hell, just learn during the firefight.

Reply to this thread if you are interested. 

• Thanks 1

I haven't decided what I'd want to commit to Friday yet. But this would be interesting. X-wing was one of those systems I was sad to stop playing when v2 came out. Re-buying everything I own was crazy.

I also like the shenanigan style game design you're suggesting. Since it's short, would you do this main time or evening to allow people to play multiple systems?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

I haven't decided what I'd want to commit to Friday yet. But this would be interesting. X-wing was one of those systems I was sad to stop playing when v2 came out. Re-buying everything I own was crazy.

I also like the shenanigan style game design you're suggesting. Since it's short, would you do this main time or evening to allow people to play multiple systems?

I am with you on the re-buying everything.

I'd time it to fit outside of the core Friday events, no idea what that'll look like at this point, but ill be there all day/night. I wanted to keep it short and simple, so that people feel like they can go take a leak, or grab a beer mid game. Need a break? Get yourself killed!

43 minutes ago, Ish said:

Hand me a TIE/ln and a range ruler, we’ve got a galaxy to defend.

That's the free for all spirit! Its about making points, not denying them!

• Like 1