Cabin Fever Hobby Frenzy Challenge week 4!

It’s a lot of fun and not a bad value for the dollar. The core boxed set retails for $100, comes with ten characters*, and a nice collection of terrain. No game mat or anything, which is a bit of a bummer, but that’s about the only thing I have to nitpick.

Additional characters are sold as singles (for large characters like Hulk and M.O.D.O.K) or two-packs (for standard-sized characters like Thor and Valkyrie). Usually around $35 a pack. Character packs also include extra tokens, new mission cards, and new tactics cards, so you get quite a bit of stuff.

Gameplay is pretty simple too, not simplistic mind you, but certainly a lot more approachable than something like Necromunda or Warhammer 40,000. Sort of like Gaslands, in that the foundational aspects of gameplay can be explained in about 5-10 minutes. The rest of the games’ strategic decisions and nuances will emerge quickly during ones first game. There’s also a lot of depth in here too, with a small (but growing) community already arguing about meta-tactics and math-hammer.

Plus, given the sheer pop culture presence of the Marvel Cinematic Universe these last few years, it’s a great potential “gateway game” for introducing people to miniature wargaming.

When Grandfather Nurgle has been defeated and we can return to the clubhouse, I’d be more than happy to run demos.

* Black Widow, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, Spider-Man; Baron Zemo, Crossbones, Doctor Octopus, Red Skull, and Ultron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, andy said:

I recognize Action and Detective comics, but the others I'd have to cheat.

Those are the real covers of Action Comics (Vol. 1) #1 and Detective Comics (Vol. 1) #27, the debut issues of Superman and the Batman; because even if this is a Marvel game, I’ve got to keep the faith as a loyal DC aficionado. Plus the real cover of Men’s Health (July 2019), with Anthony Mackie on the cover wearing a Captain America tank-top under the headline “Who is the New Captain America?”

And the fake ‘Tony Stark Wants to Save the World’ cover of Rolling Stone from the original Iron Man movie and the Daily Bugle reward for Spidey pics from the first Sam Rami Spider-Man film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Behold, the greatest asset in the Great Lakes Avengers’ crime-fighting arsenal: the Quinjetta*:

960C342C-9208-45A3-BF9F-0A8EB4B04C4F.thumb.jpeg.64a703229fe73788690be00d0d720f86.jpeg

And here we see Baron Zemo having harsh words with the driver of the work in progress Gypsy Cab:

2F9DBE9C-9C8B-424A-8045-D34F0CC8AD01.thumb.jpeg.8690cc78c183ec424e6a30bd8bcd45ea.jpeg

* No, really, that’s a totally canonical thing.

Edited by Ish
  • Like 3