Cabin Fever Hobby Frenzy Challenge week 4!

Alright, its week 4 of the painting challenge. 1 month already!!!

To qualify, anything you didn't finish last week or that you started this week.

This weeks special challenge is a speed painting challenge.  See how well you can paint any single model in 1 hour! It doesn't have to be all at once, but try to stick the to the 1 hour time limit.  If the model didn't start base primed and you are spending the hour to make improvements include a before and after of your efforts.

Post a running tally of everything you have assembled or painted during the challenge so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

This Week’s Goals: Doc Ock and the Daily Bugle newsstand. 

Stretch Goal: Speed Paint the MCP Dumpsters.

Spent most of this morning working on the Daily Bugle newsstand. I’m not sure if it’s something I’m doing wrong or a problem with the paint, but I’m finding the Citadel Runefang Steel layer paint to be an absolute chore to work with... Anyone have suggestions for an alternative?

Yeah, I know, terrain was last weeks challenge. But I’m being a rebel, whatcha gonna do to stop me? You “non-essentials” can’t even leave your house! Muh-hahahaha! 

E74C8F36-5E18-438D-9A86-D4E419917EC9.jpeg

• Like 4

Totally agree. I love the Vallejo metal color line.

For gold, I'd suggest Vallejo Liquid Gold (alcohol based, pain to work with, but best gold out there) or AK Interactive True Metal Gold (wax based, so white spirits, almost as good, way easier to control, can easily clean up mistakes, but you MUST varnish it, use Vallejo metal varnish or the gloss of your choice).

• Like 2

I've actually gotten great golds from Citadel Retributor Gold followed by a sepia wash, but I've mostly only use golds on my AoS Ironjawz or the occassional bit of bling for a D&D dwarf hero, so I want my gold to have an aged, worn, and kind of dull appearance.

The Runefang Steel has been problematic because I'm using it for modern day, non-ruined urban scenic items -- manhole covers, steel beams, and HVAC vents -- and the paint in the pot seems to have really separated. I've shaken the bejeezus out of it (even added 00 buckshot pellet as an aggitator) and it still seems to be a thick goopy melange with too much paint or a thin watery slush without any pigment.

• Like 2

Looking for the right pictures of Daily Bugle headlines and magazine covers to add to the displays. Plus I want to try to use markers to draw a Coca-Cola logo on the display case, but I’m going to call it “done” on the newsstand for now.

D11AF4E5-ACF4-4A89-AEA9-2CD4055488F6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Finally opened the Blackstone Fortress I won at Fluger's Fundraiser last year. Kids put all the 'Bad Guys' together Saturday,we  primed and painted 'em all on Sunday. Got the 'Hero' models primed on Sunday and painted Monday.

Played the first Combat round with an eight year old and an almost 11 year old yesterday, only took several hours while paging through the reference books.

Blackstone1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Overnight drying time for the spray primer not included, I completed both dumpsters in under an hour. Sure, they’re not the most complicated of paint jobs, but they’re fun little pieces of terrain and incredibly useful in the game. 

3DBE4792-241E-4768-B880-CDE806A3BA38.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Still need to finish his base, but Baron Zemo is complete. 

This one was a lot of fun, Zemo uses a color pallet that I don’t usually ever get to use in miniatures, certainly not all at the same time. Gold and yellow, purple and pink, grey and brown and black... 

The sculpt is great too. Lots of little details, lots of interesting textures, and the pose is just great too. You can practically hear the miniature giving some villainous monologue or issuing a diabolical ultimatum.

For a guy whose “superpower” is having a pink balaclava permanently superglued to his face*, Baron Zemo has style. 

* No. I am not making that up.

0DEB78B2-035E-49F0-9408-607224A3A0E7.jpeg

6FC5CEEC-F79B-4567-A280-A20D20E8A724.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Ish said:

Overnight drying time for the spray primer not included, I completed both dumpsters in under an hour. Sure, they’re not the most complicated of paint jobs, but they’re fun little pieces of terrain and incredibly useful in the game. 

3DBE4792-241E-4768-B880-CDE806A3BA38.jpeg

OOOOH! Paint a curvy capital "Y" on the forehead of the brown dog so he looks like Lockjaw!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Frowbakk said:

OOOOH! Paint a curvy capital "Y" on the forehead of the brown dog so he looks like Lockjaw!

But... That’s Fluppy! He’s the mascot for Damage Control, the #1 choice for repairing damage caused by superhuman conflict in the tri-state area.

image.jpeg.9fea2393b79d525d1e95459df5a7b2bd.jpeg

• Like 3

I did my speedpainting challenge over lunch today. I've never tried speedpainting before... everything was going fine, was making great progress, then all of a sudden I was almost out of time! Couldn't highlight the holster or the black on the gun 😞 

That was a really fun challenge, I enjoyed it. Hooray for Contrast Paint, Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil! I do wish Martian Ironearth dried faster though 😄 

IMG_2428.thumb.jpg.a7b20827152304782d414963677e80ee.jpg

IMG_2430.thumb.jpg.c0e01bc016f9bd4ff0f4bc9583929e2a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Not a drop of paint on him yet, but I just want to share the glorious ridiculousness (and ridiculous gloriousness) that is M.O.D.O.K.! 

299CF621-FC39-4D24-8B68-E7D7BBA68570.thumb.jpeg.7b707e2ec22351a3591e5d898d552a10.jpeg

How can you not love it, it’s everything great about Jack Kirby rendered in nearly 70 mm of lovely grey plastic. The sculpt perfectly captures the gonzo weird science of Kirby, almost all of the sprues’ contact points are cleverly hidden by the way the bitz join together, as are most of the seam lines... and that malicious sneer is just great.

And he’s massive! 

F8A30D24-61F8-45E9-BFEF-A90FAA37284A.thumb.jpeg.7629daccb85dffde27103d90b138a7d7.jpeg

Not counting the rock that acts as her flying stand, Captain Marvel is about 45 mm; Generic Red Tactical Marine is about 35 mm; Hulk is about 65 mm (he’d probably be over 70 mm standing up straight); M.O.D.O.K. without his flight stand is 45 mm... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1