Random Skills

Brick Bungalow

The most exciting bit in the new rules for me was the option of random skills. Mainly just for the surprise and novelty factor. The most fun I ever had playing was in a league where all skills were randomized. 

But how does this play out in a league? Is there an argument for a competitive edge here? Certainly your team will skill up faster this way. And of course you can retire players who aren't compatible. 

I feel like this could be strong in a league where everyone starts at 100, with a bit of luck. Less so as teams advance long term. 

• Like 2

We are six games deep into a six team BBSSE season and so far, random skills are not popular. Most players are waiting to get that critical first skill. I have seen a few coaches do random skills but typically on an inexpensive player that can be easily cut if the skill isn't wanted. For example, a 45K Imperial Retainer Lineman. If they get a skill like Shadowing they can be easily cut and you can start over. 

• Like 2

As part of learning new rules and to see how this change really works I have been only been using random skills on my Black Orc team. 

So far it's a mixed bag. Black orcs are not great at earning SPPs so the lower amount needed has helped me get skills faster. The skills I got aren't the best but all but 1 were useful. 

Oddly the goblins were worse off than the orcs. I have one lucky gobbo that has two skills that pair well and several gobbos with less than desirable skills. 

I enjoy the random rolls and, as Burk mentioned, trying to make best use of what I got. I do wish that the skill charts were weighted rather than equal distribution.

• Like 2

Getting an MVP on a scrub player and being able to immediately roll for a random skill is fun reward for the completely random MVP - but that's because my scrubs are Goblins and Snotlings who I can, and usually do, immediately cut if they get a crappy roll. However, I just got Prehensile Tail on a Goblin and I'm looking forward to the using that! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jollyork said:

Getting an MVP on a scrub player and being able to immediately roll for a random skill is fun reward for the completely random MVP - but that's because my scrubs are Goblins and Snotlings who I can, and usually do, immediately cut if they get a crappy roll. However, I just got Prehensile Tail on a Goblin and I'm looking forward to the using that! 

Is there a team with both goblins and snotlings now?