T-80's: So Good or No Good?

Nick!

Okay, with 6 posts in a week, this might be the most active Team Yankee forum on the net!  I'd thought I'd throw a question to the group:

How do you feel about T-80's?  You get a Nato-ish tank, but are paying Nato prices, and still only 1 shot from the main gun.

You can even pay MORE points, but you get an actually decent skill rating, and are hit on 4's!

What say you?

• Like 1

To help offset the points of the T80s you have to go cheaper and more specific on your support options. To build this list I would start with a more specific support strategy.  

example:   cheapest arty option (carnations) + cheapest AA option (gaskins) + cheapest recon (brdm2) + maybe a cheap infantry option

This would be my preferred minimum. Then, with the points left over, see what I can do with the T80 tanks. And hopefully with a few points leftover to improve the support options.

Yes, this may/will change your play style. Maybe play it closer to a nato style ???

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZEKE said:

To help offset the points of the T80s you have to go cheaper and more specific on your support options. To build this list I would start with a more specific support strategy.  

example:   cheapest arty option (carnations) + cheapest AA option (gaskins) + cheapest recon (brdm2) + maybe a cheap infantry option

This would be my preferred minimum. Then, with the points left over, see what I can do with the T80 tanks. And hopefully with a few points leftover to improve the support options.

Yes, this may/will change your play style. Maybe play it closer to a nato style ???

Hmmmm.  So 11 points for carnations and observer, 1 point for gaskin, a platoon of BMP-1's is about 6 points.  Leaves room for about 9 T-80s.

It may work, but it is still only 9 shots a turn with the same gun a T-72 or T-64 has.

Also!  Do you folks like Soviet artillery?  The 5+ to range in is a pain, it it for anti- infantry work?  Milan spam?

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Late to the party and no real in-game experience, but it seems T-80's are nice shot magnets. Depending on numbers, they could cause your opponent to react/focus on them. I think they would work well in a mech force to draw fire. The great thing about russian tanks is that there doesn't seem to be a reason to keep them still unless you don't intend to fire.

Oh, and are T-80's only for russian armies? or do the warsaw pact nations get them too?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...