Spikey Elves

Lyraeus

Why GW... why did you have to make this Codex so interesting to build with. 

Bit of a back story, I HAD planned on getting the piety and pain box to give the Drukhari to Pete but... GW was smart and they turned this Codex into a "Build Your Own Adventure" codex. So compared to marines it has more unit viability across the Codex and there is no real "Right way" to play the codex...

Want Wracks and Grotesques with Acid Flamers that just advance up the table and spew liquid death, go for it. Want little Green Goblin-esque guys flying around taking heads off then charging in? Sure.

So sadly I have been drawn in with this Goosebumps style codex of fun and shenanigans ... 

For my design, I am using a lot of Turbo Dork paints. On this test Hellion, we have People Eater Purple on the board, Nightmare Emerald for the Green and the yellowish color is Electrum. 

20210324_142918.jpg

20210324_142938.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so unbelievably excited for this codex! They replaced hoops, red tape, and dull scissors with a system of actual choices! It is no longer "do this, or your army is illegal" but "do this to gain benefits, but understand you'll have to make compromises too."

And hellions are good. For the very first time, they're actually good! They were usable in 5th since Baron Sathonyx made them into troops, but they weren't great. Now they're [big bad swear word]ing mean. +1A, +1T, +1W, and -1AP??

I want this codex in my hands!!!

Those turbo-dork paints should speed up the process, I'm curious about them, but never tried them myself. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I am so unbelievably excited for this codex! They replaced hoops, red tape, and dull scissors with a system of actual choices! It is no longer "do this, or your army is illegal" but "do this to gain benefits, but understand you'll have to make compromises too."

And hellions are good. For the very first time, they're actually good! They were usable in 5th since Baron Sathonyx made them into troops, but they weren't great. Now they're [big bad swear word]ing mean. +1A, +1T, +1W, and -1AP??

I want this codex in my hands!!!

Those turbo-dork paints should speed up the process, I'm curious about them, but never tried them myself. 

For the Paints, I brushed on everything but the wings which I would likely go over with brush. I airbrushed the wings

Hellions... Oh my sweet Green Goblins... I loved them from 5th but never jumped in (couldnt afford DE back then), now we have the codex of choices that while might not have a ton of choices like Marines but Marines are bogged down by X or Y being better than Z and the DE codex might have that but its not a HUGE deal. 

• Like 1

Quite possibly my favorite aspect of the new Hellions is the stratagem they can pull if there is also a squad of Reavers within 12" and LoS. Basically they compete to show who is better at aerial murdering and each squad gets bonus to their movement and re-rolls in combat. That's the kind of personality that has been slowly filtered out of the faction after their 5th edition re-launch.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Quite possibly my favorite aspect of the new Hellions is the stratagem they can pull if there is also a squad of Reavers within 12" and LoS. Basically they compete to show who is better at aerial murdering and each squad gets bonus to their movement and re-rolls in combat. That's the kind of personality that has been slowly filtered out of the faction after their 5th edition re-launch.

I liked that one as well! Its fun and interesting and makes me want more Reavers. 

Did you know they removed the restriction for Reavers on who gets the sepcial weapons so now the Arena Champ can have heat lances as well 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

I liked that one as well! Its fun and interesting and makes me want more Reavers. 

Did you know they removed the restriction for Reavers on who gets the sepcial weapons so now the Arena Champ can have heat lances as well 

It's actually always been that way...or at least more often than not. I'd have to go back and read through all editions to be sure. But the language was always "one model may..." and not "one Reaver may..."

I've been running blasters and grav talons/cluster caltrops on the squad leader for many years 😉

2 minutes ago, Munkie said:

It's actually always been that way...or at least more often than not. I'd have to go back and read through all editions to be sure. But the language was always "one model may..." and not "one Reaver may..."

I've been running blasters and grav talons/cluster caltrops on the squad leader for many years 😉

Then other people have been incorrect because you are right. 

http://wahapedia.ru/wh40k9ed/factions/drukhari/Reavers

15 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Then other people have been incorrect because you are right. 

http://wahapedia.ru/wh40k9ed/factions/drukhari/Reavers

If there's one thing I know, it's my beloved, pointy-eared space jerks. I chalk it up to people being reliant on battlescribe/not obsessing over the codex to an unhealthy degree. It has never been allowed on BS, since I've used it anyway.

3 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Oh man, I've bought and sold the DE twice now. I really don't want to go for a third time. Quick, say something bad about the codex!

I....I...cant... its so GOOD. Its not quite SM level of power but there are NO real bad units... Ok, TT Tactics can say something bad... but they have no ugly

• Like 2

Spikey Elves have taken over! 

Current list of things I have

I have 2 Combat Patrol Boxes, each comes with a Raider, Ravager, Archon, 5 Incubi, 10 Kabalite warriors. So now I live in Raider Hell...

I have the 8th ed Start Collecting box which you see in the post above is 3 Reavers, 10 Wyches, a Venom (why it is in the box, I have no idea) and a Succubus

A Talos and a Piety and Pain set which is Lelith, 5 Scourge, 10 Wyches and a Venom.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I warned my wife that there was a good chance I'd be picking this army up again. Going to start with the Patrol Box. Would love to get my hands on the Blood of Phoenix models too. We'll see where it goes.

Oh I plan on getting a Blood of Phoenix box for the DE side as well. It would bring me up to 15 Incubi and give me Drazhar 

I ran a Raiding Force triple patrol at a small (8 person, 3 round) tournament yesterday for my first 3 battles with the new book. My goodness it's a monster.

Game 1, Tabled Imperial Fists in 3 turns. 

Game 2 we somehow finished only 2 rounds so I technically lost to a 6 Valkyrie Scion list. If we had had 1 more turn, I would've killed everything but 1 Valkyrie (who was off the table at the time).

Game 3 I tabled Alpha Legion/1K Sons in 2 turns, including zoning out the entire table, so his 10 terminators in deep strike had nowhere to drop and just died.

I fear the nerfbat may be coming...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

I ran a Raiding Force triple patrol at a small (8 person, 3 round) tournament yesterday for my first 3 battles with the new book. My goodness it's a monster.

Game 1, Tabled Imperial Fists in 3 turns. 

Game 2 we somehow finished only 2 rounds so I technically lost to a 6 Valkyrie Scion list. If we had had 1 more turn, I would've killed everything but 1 Valkyrie (who was off the table at the time).

Game 3 I tabled Alpha Legion/1K Sons in 2 turns, including zoning out the entire table, so his 10 terminators in deep strike had nowhere to drop and just died.

I fear the nerfbat may be coming...

I dont think a Nerfbat is needed. People are just not used to them. I am envious that you got to play in a tournament... 

8 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

I dont think a Nerfbat is needed. People are just not used to them. I am envious that you got to play in a tournament... 

The Succubi, in particular, are what I'm concerned about. I played some garagehammer with a friend today and had my Succubus kill 17 necron warriors in one combat phase. Sure it costs 2 CP to fight twice, but for a 60 point model (actually 75, but she didn't need her Master ability to do what she did), that is just an insane amount of damage.