Definitely need a Hellbrute, for reals this time

Brother Glacius

Don’t have one, so I can’t help you out, but I wanted to chime in and say I hope Combat Patrol catches on. Very small format WH40k – bigger than Kill Team, but not huge – just seems like a great opportunity to do all those neat modeling projects I’ve day dreamed about over the years… But without having to commit the money, time, money, storage space, and money to making into a full army.

Like… I’ve kinda always wanted to do something with Catachan Jungle Fighters. But I don’t want a hundred of the swole lil bastards plus dozens of supporting vehicles. Twenty-five of ‘em, plus a pair of field artillery pieces, and a single walker? Easy.

• Like 1

Well I found one this morning....so yay...I did have one. We will just skip past the part where I lost track of a $70 kit. 

As to the future of combat patrol, I don't really see one unless GW keeps releasing new ones. Apparently, the CPs are specifically "balanced". I went through the ones I have models for and the base point range goes from 375 to over 500. And like the Admech one has anti-air weapons and yet no other CP has air units. So GW is completely talking out of its ass. Oh, and some of the cards are missing abilities too. Heck the Space Wolf one has a dude that isn't even in the list. There is no Battle Leader on foot. There is Battle Leader on Wolf, or Battle Leader in terminator armor...but no plain battle leader.

I will admit that I've just started to look into it...so maybe GW has said that typical 500pt armies are fine to play in combat patrol. 

• Like 1

The Combat Patrol datacards are meant to be missing abilities on some units, likewise some units have extra abilities not found on their WH40k counterparts. Every faction also has different stratagems, different secondary objectives, different relics, et cetera than you see in standard WH40k.   

It’s really best to think of Combat Patrol as a separate game in the greater 40k franchise than as “500 Point” games of WH40k. 

• Like 1

I haven’t gone through all of the Combat Patrol rules, but it looks like the one with the most “points” if you were to try to make the same list in standard WH40k would be the Adeptus Custodes. They work out to be 480 Points if you use the jetbikes or 400 Points if you use the Guardians (The Custodes are the only CP set that I know of that doesn’t get to use everything in the box).

Contrariwise, the one that seems to have the least “points” if built for standard WH40k is probably the Imperial Guard at 385 Points.    

But the Guard have some very powerful enhancements/stratagems. Likewise, the Custodes lose some of their best tricks.

Is it perfectly balanced? Nah, probably not. Is it decently balanced enough for fun casual games for new players and existing players that just want to dabble in a sideline faction? I think so.

• Like 1

• Brother Glacius changed the title to Definitely need a Hellbrute, for reals this time