Anyone Opposed to a Lizardmen Monster heavy list?

So I may not get my first army done in time so I may have to fall back to my lizardmen. Is anyone opposed to a monster heavy list?

I was thinking of something like

Scarvet/Carnosaur

2 stegs

2 ancient stegs

bastilidon

Then for core it would be a few Skrox units.

For magic i would either try and fit a slann with wandering deliberations or another steg with engine of the gods.

What do you guys think?  

a bastiladon should not count as a monster

Just because it isn't meant to be a tank doesn't mean it shouldn't be a troop type monster. It is great for what it does in that army (at least the solar engine) and fits the theme of lizards. Besides, they already have 3 good combat monsters anyway.

Just because it isn't meant to be a tank doesn't mean it shouldn't be a troop type monster. It is great for what it does in that army (at least the solar engine) and fits the theme of lizards. Besides, they already have 3 good combat monsters anyway.

One, it is meant to be a tank.  Two, he meant in context of comp score and not in general that it shouldn't be considered a monster.

• Like 1

I can't find anywhere where it says "4 monster limit" the only thing I found was:

LIZARDMEN

1. Ripperdactyls: 8

2. Skink Skirmishers: 40

but if it does say 4 monster limit somewhere that I missed then it's as simple as that.

You are right I had forgotten this had been tidied up!

Also, if someone wants to tank with their bastiladon, then go for it I guess...

You are right I had forgotten this had been tidied up!

Also, if someone wants to tank with their bastiladon, then go for it I guess...

Yes they did change the comp rules which I am grateful for. A 3 monster limit with Lizardmen really limits a lot of the more fun choices and really leads to a boring list imo. 

That is pretty much the exact list I had in mind before I traded you those Stegs, lol. I have more Carnisaurs in my list though and no Slaan. Two Bastiladons as well. Man, I love monster mash lists!

I am really debating the slann. The only reason i am thinking of bringing him is to get monsters forward more quickly with walk between worlds and setup some interesting spell combinations or try and slow war machines down. I'm not sure I can justify the points cost. 

I don't know much about Lizardmen; I have seldom seen them in action. But from what I can ascertain from the book, if you go slann and monsters, I would think Troglodons would be the way to go. Arcane Vassal will allow you to extend the range and LoS of your spells, making your slann more effective across the battlefield, someone who will most likely be in a slower unit, and want to stay back anyway. Plus Primeval Roar is awesome for that one time buff to Predatory Fighter for grouped units. Divining rod isn't a bad way to get an extra channeling attempt either, for a mere 15 pts.

It doesn't seem that great in combat, low WS and only a 4+ save, but it's a great support monster, and still has S5 TStomp, so it would be great for combo charges, especially in the flank/rear, as it has slightly higher Movement at M7 than other monsters save Carnosaurs.

The only thing I question is why the eff is Spit Venom not poisonous?!?

I don't know much about Lizardmen; I have seldom seen them in action. But from what I can ascertain from the book, if you go slann and monsters, I would think Troglodons would be the way to go. Arcane Vassal will allow you to extend the range and LoS of your spells, making your slann more effective across the battlefield, someone who will most likely be in a slower unit, and want to stay back anyway. Plus Primeval Roar is awesome for that one time buff to Predatory Fighter for grouped units. Divining rod isn't a bad way to get an extra channeling attempt either, for a mere 15 pts.

It doesn't seem that great in combat, low WS and only a 4+ save, but it's a great support monster, and still has S5 TStomp, so it would be great for combo charges, especially in the flank/rear, as it has slightly higher Movement at M7 than other monsters save Carnosaurs.

The only thing I question is why the eff is Spit Venom not poisonous?!?

I was just joking, the Troglodon is an awful, awful monster. It's got a whole bunch of rules that do a whole bunch of things...but none of them well. The channel you can get off a skink priest in a unit of (core) skink skirmishers for less. The predatory fighter perk is kind of cool, but it doesn't justify the monster at all. The spit is underwhelming, and S5 is also laughably bad on such an expensive monster.

The trouble with monster lists is cannons, steadfast, poison, and crap initiative. With so many points consolidated into a small number of woulds (the already auto-include) cannons will get points out of you very efficiently. Not being able to break steadfast makes them far too easy to hold up with infantry blocks, or grind down with elite infantry. Poison, especially shots, eats these things for lunch since their primary defensive characteristic is their high toughness and poisoned shooting is readily available in two armies now (WE and skink-heavy lizardmen). And finally, their crap initiative means that anything killy will tear them apart before they get their attacks.

Now, of course, notice that many of these choices are comped heavily at OFCC. The armies that can take cannons are limited in how many they can take. Lizardmen are limited in how many skinks they can face. Steadfast is a problem, but more of a speedbump than anything. So if ever there were a time to take this list and be competitive with it, it'd be at an event like OFCC.

Now is this list too HARD to bring to a soft event like this? ...I honestly don't know. But I would think that you'll see more armies here that will struggle to take on a list like that than you would at another tournament. Something to think about.