Interested in starting up, wondering about period/book

Peanut

Hi, Ive been reading up on the game and am really interested. If nothing else Id love to collect the models and try painting something so small, but would love to play. I wonder, are there games out there to be had? I saw something about Thursdays at Guardian. If so, what period is most common? What book should I buy? I plan on picking up a rulebook to get a feel for how the game plays before picking a country and playstyle. Im interested in Infantry and Artillery, perhaps Germany, Russian, or British.

My personal favorite is Mid War. I find it to have a great range of stuff, that is all fairly well balanced in each theatre. Africa is a great book, and Eastern Front is a great book.

Late war has more options, but I think it is also tougher at times to find a good even match up. But it has lots of cool toys.

I would actually love to give Early War a try, but it doesn't seem to have many players going that route. Thankfully, I have italians, so I can play them as Mid or Early war.

Always though, my first piece of advice is to go with what inspires you. If there is some story or unit that really grabs your attention, then go with that.

I have to second Brother G on this one. Late war has more options, but I think mid war is more balanced. For best results, of course, you want to put lists against each other that could actually have done so... There are also only two books for mid war: Eastern Front and North Africa. It's worth getting both.

As for getting games, Thursdays have been pretty hit or miss of late. You probably should try to schedule a game through here before showing up. I have Russian and German forces; would you like a learning game this Thursday?

I would just add and encourage you to follow your interests ... if its Brit's mid war or German Italian theater / late war ... is your thing ... go for it. I would also encourage you go with an infantry force since IMHO infantry is central to the game. Once you have your base force you can start adding units as you gain experience. Then again you may be a "tread head" and want to go all armor. But my "two bits" would be start with infantry ... master that and you are way ahead of the curve. Good call to buy the base rules and get a better feel and then settle on a force / nation. The main rules have all the "Special" rules for each main nation and will give you a good idea of each ones flavor. Brit's are good and German. Russians infantry can be fun but a bit daunting for a starter force ... to collect and paint since they have platoons the size of most other forces companies.

If you want Infantry and Artillery, LateWar US is the best option. In LateWar, the US infantry can get veteran ratings, especially helpful for running artillery. And the US special rules for artillery are the best. Also, US has spotter planes, again helpful for the artillery.

There is a downloadable pdf of US infantry companies on Dday. That can get you started looking at stuff without buying books till you find what piques your interest.

Thanks for all the help! I'm really excited to get into it. I can come by Guardian right after work Thursday. I get off at 5 and work quite a ways a way, so I may be there a little after 6, hard to say. Maybe closer to 630 if that's not too late? JesseLowe I'd love to take you up on that offer. Or at least just watch a few guys play it to get an idea of how it all works.