10 assassins challenge....

Pretty simple. Make a 1500pt list that can beat 10 identical assassins from the assassin codex. Go on, I dare you. List should be able to defeat each school of assassins in their own list of 10...Winner of the challenge wins the right to be known as the winner!

PS: Yeah, it's completely legal to field this at less than 1500pts given that GW doesn't seem to think that assassins are special characters anymore...

Enjoy facing 10 vindicare assassins from a player that clearly only bought two boxes of scout marines and has an illegal printing of both the rule book and the assassin dataslate. Yay GW!

PS2: yeah, I'm being sarcastic here. It is legal to do the above, but I'm not happy about it. A highly annoying supplement, mostly detrimental to friendly games which limits on number of detachments aren't already enforced.

You so wacky... :)

Yeah, but this ^ stuff is legal now. I'm half tempted to show up to guardian for the league that's supposed to be OFCC practice and let them "enjoy" facing 13 callidus assassins at 2k. I've got 65pts to spare, too. I could even bring 13 poorly assembled DE wyches to represent them, that way, when I stomp them with cheesy rules, I can further drive them into the ground with a statement regarding how affordable 40k is...

And then you would be that which you hate. Don't you dare actually make that point, it is silly. Any game breaks down if you attack it like this, ANY game.

Huge difference between temptation and action, at least for me. Believe it or not, I actually filter like 99% of the ideas I have because they aren't deemed appropriate for one reason or another.

It blows my mind when I'm [further] told I need to filter my statements....

Huge difference between temptation and action, at least for me. Believe it or not, I actually filter like 99% of the ideas I have because they aren't deemed appropriate for one reason or another.

You said half tempted to actually take it to a store. This tempted me to respond.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I actually filter like 99% of the ideas I have because they aren't deemed appropriate for one reason or another.

It never stops me :) keep posting pax, forums need content and yours is appreciated

• Like 4

All jokes aside, that would be a pretty cool army to build as a "just for gits and shiggles" list.

If someone put serious effort into converting and painting 10 freaking awesome Vindicares, I'd gladly play it....once;)

If not joking, mixing the assassins, particularly callidus and vindicare, would be considerably more effective than a list of just a single school.

I don't see how this list is a problem. Any decent list will kill a few assassins and win with OS. Sure they alpha strike well... i guess... but can they really beat khan/ bikers w/ a knight or  droppod marines or any number of lists?

The list itself isn't much of a problem, it's playing against it that strikes me as an issue.

For one, 40k is expensive and all players share in that burden. This sort of army is very likely converted from much cheaper models. As mentioned, the 10 SM scouts with sniper rifles would be a 1500pt army if counting as vindicare assassins. That's like a $50 army. 40k certainly isn't pay to win, but when the guy with 10 cheap models defeats the player that spent the standard $300-500, it can be depressing.

For two, I think it would be rather boring to play a game where the opponent had so few models. Reminds me of that old movie-marines WD army. Yeah, neat idea, but I don't really want to play against it. Army would be very glass hammer, where it would be amazing or fail very quickly. Some players enjoy quick games, I don't.

On, and three, it would cream several army types, like those khan bikers. I'd go with 4 vindicares and 6 callidus assassins at 1500pts. Callidus has that neural shredder which can wipe entire squads turn 1. 4 vindicares should just demolish most vehicles, including super heavies, plus they can reliably kill off your characters if taken in such numbers. Remember, they've all got preferred enemy (warlord), so your warlord is hit on re-rollable 2s, wounded on 4s with re-rolling 1s, and your armor, invulnerable, and cover denied - 4 of these shots per turn at 72" range. A biker warlord just wouldn't survive. But again, the army would greatly depend on how much damage they could do early on.

Pax, you seem like a nice guy so don't take this wrong...

If someone told me I didn't pay enough for my army I'd be glad not to play them.

Why?

Because he's a dick.

;)

I won't take it wrong and it really doesn't normally matter.

It's when you get an opponent that has barely any models in their list, all the models are clearly cheap conversions, and their army is pure cheese AND then they stomp your army into the ground with rules that don't seem like they belong in friendly play, It makes defeat just feel bad. I don't normally mind getting defeated, as I just enjoy the game, but this sort of defeat is painful to play.

Sorry, hard to describe. It's one of those where if you lose the guy with the amazing painted army, to the guy with the super expensive models, or to the guy that plays an army where their rules make enough sense where your loss feels like something you fix in the future, the game can still be fun, even with a otherwise crushing defeat. You can rationalize this type of loss better and it doesn't feel bad.

A close game is by far the best, even if you lose.

Likewise, if I win against this sort of list, it really needs to be a hard won victory, as if I win turn 1 due to lucky ID weapons (like lascannons), it won't really be very enjoyable. I go to the weekly league where we play 1 game per night. Quick victory means a wasted night. It's similar to games where my opponent forfeits after seeing my list.

I don't mind having a close, hard fought loss against a cheap army, it's when it compounds with the other things that it starts to get to me.