WHFB: 'Ham Slamwich 2014 (Bellingham NW Masters Qualifier, 11/22)

JMGraham

@ Corey - let me get back to you lon that. Looks like a quagmire.

@ratrek - bellinghamwarhamsters (at) gmail . No need to do it yet, though - the official call (with formatting info, etc) will go out later this month.

Another rules question. How will predatory fighter for lizardmen be ruled in regards to supporting attacks?

As per the masters FAQ:

20.2  Predatory Fighter

Supporting attacks do not benefit from this special rule.

@Jim I totally understand I just want to be able to reform occasionally my list features two units of 10 with big bosses on giant squigs. Moving the character around and such. I wouldn't abuse it but I'm realizing that some might interpret the rules as such that I can't reform at all. I just want to know where I'm at so I can plan my deployment

Edit: actually one unit of ten with two big bosses...

@ Corey: The Masters folks have this sorted for us. You can reform at the end of a random movement, using the minimum distance (3") as the movement value.

For Combat Reforms, assume the Move value for the unit is the minimum rollable amount (3" for squig hoppers, 1" for models under the affect of the Slaanesh spells).

For "regular" reforms: follow the rules for Random Movement. If at the end of the move the unit is not engaged in combat, it may reform about its center a number of inches equal to twice the minimum rollable distance (so 6" for Squig Hoppers, and 2" for anyone under the Slaanesh spells).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of quick questions:

1) Is this a closed or open list tournament?  I ask so I know what type of magic items to look at for my characters.

2) When do you need lists by, in order to meet the 3 week requirement?

3) When will the rules pack with the missions be released?  I'd like to have a chance to review the scenarios so I know how to build my list.

This stuff will be updated in the OP over the next week or so, but:

1) Have copies of your army list without magic items or "hidden" aspects to give to your opponent before the game, and a full-disclosure list to give your opponent after the game.

2) Three weeks before the tournament.*

3) Stripped-down versions of the scenarios will be available sometime after next Tuesday. By stripped-down, I mean the basics without the narrative aspects that won't effect game-play. 

:wink: Next week, the scenarios, list formatting guidelines, and submission instructions will be posted in one fell swoop. The intention is to give you a week or so with the scenarios to tweak your lists as needed.

Depends on the system, I reckon. The rationale is that some items in Warhammer rely on not having complete information. Fanatics, assassins, that magic item scrying thingee, etc. 

Edit: Not sure if by "you guys" you meant the Warhamsters, or other folks reading this thread. I answered as if you meant the former.

I guess I mean "as an area" /northern Washington.

I've played a lot of GTs  over the last couple years and never run into this before so I was curious if this was the norm for you all.

How do you control information between rounds? Like, if I finish round one early can I not walk around and watch other games? What if someone has to reveal the kit on their general in a game I'm watching and I play that person next round? If other people finish round one early, is it an issue for them to watch my game? Don't players discuss how their round 1 game went at lunch? Do you just assume that no one mentions a magic item that came up to a friend? 

You scared me, they just went from 1.14 to 1.14.1. I did a translate on what was changed according to the admin:

"No changes other than clogged holes (dual agency, dwarf-scrolls, WE special chars), more comprehensive update will have to wait until after the QFA."

I assume dual agency is a mis-translation but don't know what it's referring to.

oh man swedish comp updated.

Pretty minor changes for high elves, dwarfs and wood elves. My Woodie build is unaffected!

How do you control information between rounds? Like, if I finish round one early can I not walk around and watch other games? What if someone has to reveal the kit on their general in a game I'm watching and I play that person next round? If other people finish round one early, is it an issue for them to watch my game? Don't players discuss how their round 1 game went at lunch? Do you just assume that no one mentions a magic item that came up to a friend? 

No attempt is made to control information between rounds. Functionally at such tournaments, my experience has been that some stuff gets spoiled, but most stuff doesn't. And that it honestly doesn't have much of an effect: experienced players can usually look at a unit and figure out what they're likely to have.

experienced players can usually look at a unit and figure out what they're likely to have.

This is usually true, but there are a couple spoiler items that seem like they'd be a pretty big deal. "Which caster is Hellheart on? (since compensating for it is pretty determinate of the movement phase) or "that random hero has sword of anti-heros?"  come to mind.

The one I would think that most commonly could swing a game is whether or not a character had OTS, as it's common but often there's no room for it and it drastically alters some charge decisions. 

Anyways, thanks for replying, it sounds like you guys just haven't had it be an issue, which is good to hear.

I guess a more technical question is - does this mean on lists that you share you don't include the point totals of units or characters?

Damn it, stop asking such reasonable questions! I feel like knowing points costs is an important part of the game, as it's how one judges risk/reward. Now you've got me wondering whether closed lists are a good idea or not - let me chat with Wiccus (my co-conspirator) and I'll get back to you on this.

Damn it, stop asking such reasonable questions! I feel like knowing points costs is an important part of the game, as it's how one judges risk/reward. Now you've got me wondering whether closed lists are a good idea or not - let me chat with Wiccus (my co-conspirator) and I'll get back to you on this.

I was just wanting to know if I need to waste points on magic items I would normally never use.  Closed lists are really only good for the first round.