WHFB: 'Ham Slamwich 2014 (Bellingham NW Masters Qualifier, 11/22)

JMGraham

In regards to Munkie I seem to interpret the runes of spellbreaking differently than you do. In terms of VonVilkee it looks like you just forgot to add your war machine points. Believe me if a list came out as a different number than what you entered then I counted and recounted it and checked and rechecked everything. If there is anything that any of you feel cheated on then please bring it up to me tomorrow morning and I will be more than happy to discuss it with you.

I am aiming to make this a fun tournament for everyone so please bring anything you dislike up with me. I will be the short guy with the red beard giving you most likely poor rulings on how a rule should and should not work.

Ryan, that was one of the first things we talked about when we were recapping. Next time we'll do a checklist judging in addition to player votes.

Art, NO! Totally spaced that. Hmmm... I'll go through the list and do a drawing tonight. I've got a cool little something that should work well as a prize.

Here we go!  Battle, Paint, and Sports are listed by points (so higher is better), Overall is in ranks (so lower is better). Everything is currently sorted by Battle Points (with sports deciding ties),as that's what we're reporting for the Masters. 

Even more important: Who's the prettiest club out there? Among those clubs bringing 3 or more players (because anyone can bring a couple of gorgeous hunks and call it a club), here are the average number of "exceptionally good looking" ratings received for each club:

1.67  Abusement Park

1.50  Warhamsters

1.33  CHOP

1.25  Hammered Heads

Top honors went to Cody Jensen and Patrick Carolan, who both got 3 nods each. The crowd was split between whether the tie-breaker should be a strip-off or arm wrestling, so it ended with an unsatisfactory tie.

hr0nAbH.jpg

• Like 1

Best overall should be determined by the rankings in each category. There were 28 players. In battle, 1st place gets you 28 points, 2nd nets you 27... etc. Same with sports, same with painting. The intention was that a blowout in one area couldn't compensate for a deficiency in another. Someone netting 60 battle points would only get one point more than someone getting 50, if the 50 was second place. Or, someone getting 73 points in paint would only get one point more than the person getting 48, if they were next to each other in rank. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's basically what they did at the 40k OFCC this year. Kinda liked it because it seemed to reward a true "overall" performance. If you got in the top 5 for each category, you'd have a really good chance at overall.

I think Kacy may have done something a little bit different than what I intended in regards to how paint factored in to overall (ties should reward folks the highest of the shared ranks), but it didn't effect who got the prizes, and it didn't effect the Masters rankings (which were all based on battle). If you want me to double-check the numbers for overall, let me know and I'm happy to geek out on it.

If we do this again, we'd definitely add a judge-based paint checklist in addition to favorite army. I don't like having all those folks without votes not getting credit for cool conversions, painting, and the like.

More than anything, this weekend had me wanting to restart some cross-border relationships. We Warhamsters used to try and occasionally come north for WCP game nights at the Legion, and it would be cool to do so again. Tournaments are fun, but so is meeting new people, hanging out with friends, and playing Warhammer while drinking and shooting the breeze.

• Like 3