Saw Fury...

Brother Glacius

Wow, Fury is one of those movies that is really hard to describe. It was brutal and raw. The first word that popped out of my mouth at the end of it was "intense". The problem I have with it though is that I wasn't sure how to answer my wife when she asked me if I had liked it.

I was interested in it, I was enthralled while I watched it, and it definitely had me on the edge of my seat. But at the same time, there was little in the way of emotional response. I got more emotional reading the interview of an actual WWII infantryman on Warlord's site.

I suppose my reaction to the film is mature. This was not a film that glorified combat, nor was it some propaganda piece. In fact, most of the time, I felt ashamed of how some of the soldiers were acting. But it always came with the grim realization that it was probably very accurate. There were no heroes to root for.

I don't know if I'll own this film. I'm simply not sure of the point of it. It was watching the horrible truth of war and now that I have seen it, do I really need to see it again?

As a movie, it was amazing. It completely drew me in. The acting was good and the effects were phenomenal. The pacing was good. My only criticism would be the validity of the final battle. But it is a movie, so they have leeway.

It left me shell-shocked. I don't think I am still quite over the experience. If you like World War II films, then I have to recommend it.

• Like 6

I definitely liked it. The most visceral war movie since Saving Private Ryan. The combat was brutally intense. I found myself going from "holy s##t!" To "f##k yeah!" To "what the hell is wrong with me?" Over the course of about a second, over and over again. Couldn't help but get caught up in...well...the fury of the raw firepower those tanks can dish out. Only to have the effect of that firepower shown in such inglorious ways.

And I've got to say the acting was top notch. Never has sitting down to some eggs and bacon been so uncomfortable. Critics of Shia Labeouf will be disappointed he didn't drop the ball.

Too brutal to be an own and re-watch over and over, but i think it nailed what it was going for.

Great review, BroG, and pretty much how I felt when the credits rolled. Not a glorification of war, but certainly seemed to revel in the violence - especially the beheadings by various projectiles. 

I also agree with Munkie, the breakfast scene was the best part of the movie for me. Way more intense than the painfully predictable blaze of glory final act. 

• Like 1

Interesting that people thought the ending wasn't good.  They should go read Audie Murphy's medal of honor citation.

I loved the movie.  I felt it was very raw, and visceral, and explained very well in one line of the movie:  "Ideals are peaceful.  History is violent."  Yes, it's not a propaganda film. It's done very, very well though.

• Like 1

Now that it has been out a while, I don't mind talking about the ending. My biggest problem with the ending was just how dumb the Germans handled it. After the initial ambush by the crew, I could not see them continually throwing men down the road to shoot bullets at the tank. They could have smoked it themselves, then flanked it quite easily, and blown it up with fausts. Or, they could have just went around it. Sure, maybe if it had been a volks squad...but an SS? And veteran by the looks of it. No way they would have handled it that poorly.

Just some thoughts on the ending.

• Like 1

Accurate tactics, probably not. However, one must remember, and this is pretty crucial. At that point of the war, most German units were highly untrained, virtual neophytes, even the commanders. On the western side of things especially. If they were battle hardened units on the eastern front, you might be able to make this assessment. While yes, it brings a question of "why were the tactics so bad?" one can assume that they're just not very good because they aren't probably the highly trained German soldiers that they had at the beginning of the war. I mean, you probably wouldn't know that most of the Germans who fought against us on D-Day were either pressed into service from various conquered areas, or were German troops who were on vacation or very new. Basically, the Germans treated the western front as a holding action because the real threat was from the east.

The final scene did not bother me any more than spacing in deployment, column march that close to the front w/o scouts, etc. I chalked it up to image composition and story telling. In defence of David Ayer's choice the CO states the panzerfausts are limited and after reading Otto Carius' Tigers in the Mud to paraphrase he admired the SS zeal but resented the waste of men and eespecially materials as they had disproportionate losses for objectives achieved.

• Like 1

I liked the movie just for the fact that they used actual WW2 vehicles. It was nice to see a tiger that wasn't a reproduction. As far as the final battle scene it was a big stretch. Even totally untrained troops are not going to blindly do a frontal assault against a tank. They would have outflanked it and killed it in no time but that wouldn't have made a good ending.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...