Pax's Imperial Army (expanded topic from minotaur/exorcist thread)

Yeah, I've gotten quite good at stripping metal models..

EDIT: Was on my cell.

Yeah, I've fully painted, stripped, fully painted, and stripped several of the same models over the last year or so. I'm getting pretty efficient at stripping the models. At this point, I use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the paint, and I prime with Dupli-color Sandable Black for the Exorcists/DA/Minotaurs/Consecrators, my Lion Warriors/BA are using the Dupli-color Gold primer. I'm planning to purchase a Duplicolor Silver for my Grey Knights, as the Black I used in the past has not proven ideal (stripping those too).

Okay, GG league tonight. Primary objective is to be present for a trade with Pretre, everything else is bonus.

Consecrators (DA) CAD

HQ Techmarine (MB, Conversion Field)

HQ Damocles Command Rhino (Stock)

Elites DW Terminators (5, 5 TH/SS, 1 Cyclone)

Elites Mortis Dreadnaught (Dual TL Lascannons)

Troops Scout Squad (5, 1 Hellfire Heavy Bolter+BP, 1 BP+CCW, 2 Snipers, Vet Sarge with BP+CCW+MB)

Troops Tactical Squad (5, 1 Plasma Gun)

-Dedicated Razorback (TL Lascannon)

Heavy Devastators (5, 4x Multi-melta, Vet Sarge with Bolter+Fist)

Fortification FSR (2x Battlecannon mounts, 1 Void Shield)

Lion Warriors (BA) Allied Detachment

HQ Libby Dreadnaught

-Dreadpod

Elites DC Dreadnaught (Blood Talons, Smokes)

Troops Cassor the Damned

Heavy Vindicator (Overcharged Engines, Legacy: Battle of Keylek)

Total 1850pts.

Probably not a super effective list, but we'll see. It's more a "get models onto the table" list, rather than a list that is anything close to finished.

Okay, GG league tonight. Primary objective is to be present for a trade with Pretre, everything else is bonus.

Yay me!

Yeah, best way to play 40k is to have objectives unrelated to winning or losing the actual game.

Consecrators (DA) CAD

HQ Techmarine (MB, Conversion Field)

HQ Damocles Command Rhino (Stock)

Elites Mortis Dreadnaught (Dual TL Lascannons)

Troops Scout Squad (5, 1 Hellfire Heavy Bolter+BP, 1 BP+CCW, 2 Snipers, Vet Sarge with BP+CCW+MB)

Troops Tactical Squad (5, 1 Plasma Gun)

Heavy Devastators (5, 4x Multi-melta, Vet Sarge with Bolter+Fist)

Fortification FSR (2x Battlecannon mounts, 1 Void Shield)

Lion Warriors (BA) Allied Detachment

HQ Libby Dreadnaught

-Dreadpod

Elites DC Dreadnaught (Blood Talons, Smokes)

Troops Cassor the Damned

Heavy Vindicator (Overcharged Engines, Legacy: Battle of Keylek)

Total 1850pts.

Primary objective obtained, trade went down just fine. Pretre showed up, we exchanged, and I like what I got.

For the bonuses, got to play against a Sisters player. They had Sisters, plus a vindicare and an imperial knight. Game was a lot of fun and our playstyles for this game were very evenly matched. Game ended turn 6, 7 to 7, both with 6 maelstrom objective points, me with his warlord slain, and him with first blood against my vindicator.

Dawn of war, 3 tact card maelstrom, I deployed first and went first. I ran the devastator sargeant as my warlord, who got the DA trait for ignores cover and precision shots.

Unit by unit:

Vindicator advanced 12", fired his nifty cover denial demolisher shot and hit an imperial knight, a troops sister, and 2 seriphim. 1 HP off the knight, a dead troops sister and no damage to the seriphim. Not effective per say, but the vindicator hanging in the middle got his imperial knight to advance into for assault, which put him in MM range on a later turn. All in all, it was perfect. Not sure I needed the cover denial ability. Siege shield/dozer blade would have been smart, too.

Cassor the Damned is a troops slot DC dread who is a unique character, but basically just a +5pt dread in the troops slot. He died without accomplishing anything. He tried, but his targets kept dying before he got to them.

The actual DC Dread wiped half of a sisters command squad, which then failed their stubborn ld 10 morale check, and got swept (eternal warrior cannoness and all). Also destroyed their immolator on an earlier turn. Died to scattering battlecannon from the FSR

Libby dread was very lacking. Died to the above cannoness. Didn't kill anything, and opponent lacked psykers. In hindsight, dreadpod should have probably landed somewhere else.

FSR was useful, if only for wasting a dominion squad. It managed to survived the arrival of 4 melta guns via the outflank and the MM on the unit's immolator. Battlecannons were really iffy. Destroyed my own DC dread at one point. Hit rear armor and everything.

Devastators were hardcore. I made 5 or 6 cover saves in ruins, then another 4 by intervening units, and got the final 2 HP off the imperial knight via the MM. Unit took no casualties and opponent referred to them as my "command squad."

Tactical squad didn't really shoot at anything all game. They hid in the razorback, when it got destroyed, they hid behind it's wreck, then claimed an objective in front of the wreck, and then provided cover for my devastators (they were the intervening unit). All in all, a good unit, though I never needed the plasma gun.

Razor back was awesome while it lasted. Dinged up immolators and exorcists.

Scout squad manned the FSR from the battlements. Did almost nothing until the dominion squad showed up. Then they jumped out of the FSR, and assaulted them, defeating the sisters flawlessly and destroying their vehicle (over several turns).

Mortis Dreadnought was my opponent's first blood score. He helped cope with the exorcists and the dreadknight, but I don't think he added enough. Don't think he destroyed anything.

DW terminators were pretty awesome. Landed in the thick of things, lost 3 members to various enemies early on, but still managed to wipe the enemy warlord (celistine), 1 exorcist, half a retributor squad, and the vindicare.

Damocles Command Rhino was easily my MVP. His orbital strike got an explodes result on the imperial knight and off-ed 3 HP on turn 1. Didn't do much else all game, but I was happy. Eventually died to an immolator with MM. In hindsight, might be a good unit for an HK missile.

Techmarine didn't really do anything, but he was sort of my tax character anyway. He started with the tactical squad, then stayed behind at the objective, when the others advanced to shield the devastators. He was fine, but any stand-in IC would have been just as useful. The terrain I bolstered turned out to be given little attention all game.

Hmmm...I think I actually won that game. Forgot to count the ITC 2 VP per 3 HP knocked off enemy super heavy. Not sure if the GG league is using that option, but if so, I won 9 to 7. Otherwise, tie, as before.

@Pretre: Silly as it is, ever run a Sisters command squad with 5 of those condemner boltguns? Looks extremely nasty with volume fire, and as I read it, could even take a special weapon on each model too, so they don't need to be wasted in that role when there are no enemy psykers. Spendy, certainly, but looks like it has some potential.

GK are coming. I'm keeping them very small. Mostly just want to get a squad or two on the table. I think it isn't too fluffy if they are too numerous (unless you know you'll face daemons in advance).

Modelling-wise, I finally gave up trying to get those OOP halberds to not bend in transit. Came up with a new plan, I'm "abducting" some RT TDA storm bolter and TDA sergent power sword arms for use on the RT GK terminators. Barely a conversion, but they look pretty cool. Managed to snag two of these ak-47 looking Ordo malleus psy-weapons for use as Psilencers. Got one of those OOP "Force Rod" arms for my Nemesis Warding stave. And my HQ has one of those RT librarian force "swords-axes" which I'm calling the Soul Glaive.

Anyway, my entire GK contingent is looking like this:

Brother Captain (Grand Master, Soul Glaive, Psilencer) 220pts

GK Terminators (5, 1 staff/4 swords, 1 psilencer/4 storm bolters) 185pts

Interceptor Squad (5), but not sure on weapons yet. Probably swords and halberds due to OOP GK strike squad weapon limits. Not sure if I'll add any special weapons.

I know, spendy combo especially on a grand master, but I really like that Soul Glaive+Psilencer bit. Haven't tested it, but the idea is that the soul glaive allows re-rolls on the force psychic test, which I only need to pass once for both weapons. Force adds ID to both weapons, plus gives re-rolls to hit, wound, and for armor pen via the soul glaive. He's still probably not a 220pt character, especially when compared to draigo, who's only a bit more, but I think I can get him to work. I'm also a level 2 psyker with non-fixed powers or warlord traits, which does have some merit on it's own.

Okay, no clue on viability, but here's the direction the 2k list is going:

Nemesis Strike Force

HQ "Grand Master Rook" Brother Captain (Grand Master, Soul Glaive, Psilencer, Warlord)

Troops GK Terminators (5, 1 staff/4 swords, 1 psilencer/4 storm bolters)

Fast Attack Interceptor Squad (5, 1 sword/3 halberds, 4 storm bolters, 1 incinerator)

Consecrators (DA) CAD

Non-slot HQ Damocles Command Rhino (Stock)

HQ Sammael (Jetbike)

Troops Scout Squad (5, 1 Hellfire Heavy Bolter+BP, 3 BP+CCW, BP+CCW+MB Sarge)

Troops Tactical Squad (5, 1 Lascannon)

Lion Warriors (BA) Baal Strike Force

HQ Chaplain (Jump pack Valor's Edge, BP, MB)

Elites Lemartes

Troops Cassor the Damned

-Lusius Pattern Drop Pod (FW pod is non-dedicated, non-slot)

Troops Raphen's Death Company

total is 1999pts of 2k. 4 psychic mastery levels.

Okay, so IC heavy. Sammy joins the Interceptor squad, at least for deployment. Lemartes joins Raphen's Death Company. BA Chaplain joins GK terminators. Warlord "Rook" joins DW terminators. List is extremely light on both vehicles and AT, which very uncharacteristic of my armies. Not exactly high in numbers either. I have no AA solutions.

That Narrative Campaign has me thinking about the level increases. My custom hero is this guy:

HQ "Grand Master Rook" Brother Captain (Grand Master, Soul Glaive, Psilencer)

Custom Hero at level 0: grants him Objective Secured, 0-1 Interceptor Squads as troops and Objective Secured, And he gains "First into the Fray" as a fixed warlord trait.

At the later levels, I'm thinking:

Level 1: Twin Linked Psilencer

Level 2: +1 Strength to base model

Level 3: Armorbane Psilencer

Level 4: Fleshbane Psilencer

Level 5: Killing Blow (natural 6s to wound are ap2 and ID) to Soul Glaive

Level 6: Eternal Warrior

Final version is S6 in melee (S8 with hammerhand) and has a "super" psilencer with S4, ap-, armorbane, fleshbane, twin linked, heavy 6, force. Final version is also +100pts.

So turn 1, with the above list, DW terminators auto-arrive from deep strike reserve via the fixed warlord trait "First into the fray" and have a free re-roll on scatter. I then have the force power cast (with re-rolls to failed tests via Soul Glaive). In the shooting phase, Rook shoots anything with 6 BS5 TL shots with average armor pen of 11, wounding on 2s, and causing instant death (no, doesn't deny armor, but I think it will cause most things to flinch). Meanwhile, the DW terminators shoot at another target with their cyclone missiles via the DW terminator split fire rule. In assault, I'm looking at 4 base swings at S6 ap3 (ap2 on 6s), with re-rolls to hit, wound, and pen (soul glaive), and causing instant death.

Anyway, I ordered an RT Jetbike model for my Consecrator "Sammael." I was planning to get an OOP metal Sammael, but he is extremely expensive on ebay and I really don't like the model that much.

I like sammy, but I'm not a huge bike fan. I'll likely stick him with some jump infantry, or run him solo.

More Tinkering

Demon Hunter Strike Force (GK) Nemesis Strike Force (500pts)

HQ "Brother Captain Traphen Rook" Brother Captain (Soul Glaive, Psilencer)

Elites Paladins (3, 1 SB+MB+Sword, 1 SB+MB+Staff, 1 SB+Hammer)

Troops GK Strike Squad (5, 4 SB+Halberd, Justicar SB+Halberd+MB)

Consecrators (DA) Combined Arms Detachment (1500pts)

Non-slot HQ Damocles Command Rhino (Stock)

HQ Company Master (TDA, Shroud, Chainfist, Stormbolter)

Troops Scout Squad (5, 1 Hellfire Heavy Bolter+BP, 3 BP+CCW, BP+CCW+MB Sarge)

Troops Scout Squad (6, Cloaks, 1 BP+Flak ML, 4 Sniper+BP, CCW+BP Sarge)

Heavy Devastators (5, 4 MM, vet sarge with fist+bolter)

Heavy LR Helios (Hyperios Upgrade)

LoW Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer (stock)

Fortification (Wall of Martyrs Defense Emplacement, Tank Traps)

Lion Warriors (BA) Flesh Tearers Strike Force (500pts)

HQ Librarian Dreadnought (Bones of Baelsor, Heavy Flamer)

-Dreadpod

Troops Cassor the Damned

-Dreadpod

Fast Razorback (TL Plasma Gun, Lascannon)

Total is 2500pts, but it's done so I can run the DA+ either of the other two detachments at 2k, just the DA at 1.5k, or the GK+BA at 1k. I can select the warlord from any of the detachments.