10 power axes

10 Vanguard Vets: 220 pts
10 power axes

10 Sternguard Vets: 220 pts
10 combi-meltas

Stormraven: 200
TL Assault Cannon, TL Multimelta

1980 pts

For those who don't know, Captain Karlaen comes stock with the Strategic Trait that gives me a +1 to seize the initiative and allows me to re-roll reserve rolls (either successful or failure), mostly he ensures that my reserves come in, and when 1220ish points are in reserve, you WANT to make sure they come in quickly! Going from a 66.6% chance to a 88.8% chance is HUGE especially since there should only be 2 rolls (since the formation comes in on a single roll). My thought is that he goes in the Stormraven with the Sternguard. That seems appropriate. 

Scouts with Furious Charge are amazing for the points. Those little buggers should knock out any rear AV10 vehicle in the game on the charge even without the meltabomb! They are also a threat to light infantry and the like, EXTREMELY useful for their points! With infiltrate and scout and a 5+ roll on seizing, I can put a TON of pressure on my opponent from the outset with these guys. Armies like serpent spam are going to be in trouble since even though the scouts are easy to wipe out, they only have 1 turn of shooting before I pounce on them, and there are a lot of different units!

The Assault Marines drop in on turn one and try to nuke a vehicle, and I'll almost assuredly split them up in combat squads. If I go first, I can have 10 little units all in my opponents' grille that all can threaten their vehicles or anything else I want. 

Turn two, the heavy hitters show up (89% of the time!) as well as more assault marines. The scouts and initial assault marines that are still alive go after whatever they can and try and knock it out. 

Now there is a crazy amount of threat overload in my opponent's deployment zone and the vanguard vets will absolutely WRECK anything in the game with 4 S6 AP2 attacks each! I'd probably need to mix in some meltabombs with my remaining 20 pts (probably 2 in each squad of vanguard) to help them threaten high AV stuff. 

Anyway, I love the idea of drop pod assault coming in from scouts guiding it in. The flavor is what I like the and play style is cool. Also, with 91 infantry and 4 vehicle models on the board it is a LOT of guys!

Scouts with Furious Charge are amazing for the points. Those little buggers should knock out any rear AV10 vehicle in the game on the charge even without the meltabomb! They are also a threat to light infantry and the like, EXTREMELY useful for their points! With infiltrate and scout and a 5+ roll on seizing, I can put a TON of pressure on my opponent from the outset with these guys. Armies like serpent spam are going to be in trouble since even though the scouts are easy to wipe out, they only have 1 turn of shooting before I pounce on them, and there are a lot of different units!

Scouts do this just fine without furious charge. They're called krak grenades and scouts are really awesome with them.

3 S4 attacks are identical in value against AV10 as a krak grenade.  3 S5 attacks is categorically better.  

How many attacks does it take to take out AV10 with (assuming WS3)...

S4:  .666 * .166 = .111 so it takes 27 attacks on average or 9 scouts charging.

S6:  .666 * .5 = .333 so it takes 9 attacks on average or 9 scouts charging.

S5:  .666 * .333 = .222 so it takes 13.5 attacks on average or 4-5 scouts charging.  

Essenitally you HALVE the number of scouts required on a charge to take out an AV10 vehicle.  

I think I might mix up the Power Weapons in the VV a bit (and maybe the Combi-Weapons for the SG as well), but I like the basic concept.

Sure sure, I was just going with gut-instinct here.  I could see putting in a few power mauls for instance.  Not sure I'd want or need any other combis though.  What I like about sternguard is that they pretty much cover all the other bases (ignores cover shooting, 2+ poison shooting) Maybe a couple plasmas?  

With melta on the dropped assault Marines, and tons of axes you have a lot of AT already. Would storm bolters on the Sternguard be a better choice? Gives some anti-infantry.

I'm a lousy list writer so it's an honest question;)

No, stormbolters are REALLY bad on Sternguard as it takes away their ability to use special ammunition.  That's pretty much their 

Raison d'être.  They have anti-infantry already built into their special ammo.  

Yeah, I was thinking a couple of Combi-Plasmas, just to get a bit more volume of fire in on MCs or 2+ Armour or something. Maybe a Combi-Flamer or two for Overwatch.

With the Vanguard, I just think there are some times when you're going to want to have at least a few guys capable of striking at Init. Mauls are probably the best choice for most of those situations, but a Lightning Claw or two (maybe on the Sarge for Challenges) might be worth considering, too.

After considering it all I have made my own version of your list. It is really repetitive but I think it could be powerful.

BA Elite List

Archangels Strike Force:

Captain Karlaen: 160 pts

Assault Terminators: 5 w/ Hammers and Shields: 225 pts

Vanguard Veterans: 10 w/ Jump packs: 220 pts

Vanguard Veterans: 10 w/ Jump packs: 220 pts

Sternguard Veterans: 10 half w/ combi-plasmas: 270 pts

-Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon: 45 pts

Archangels Sanguine Formation: 860 pts

Vanguard Veterans: 10 w/ Jump packs and power weapons: 220 pts

Vanguard Veterans: 10 w/ Jump packs and power weapons: 220 pts

Sternguard Veterans: 10 w/ 10 combi-meltas : 220 pts

Stromraven:  w/ TL Assault Cannon and a TL Multi-melta: 200 pts

Total: 2,000 pts

• 2 weeks later...

Requirements: 2 Vanguard Veteran Squads, 1 Sternguard Veteran Squad, 1 Stormraven Gunship

Restrictions: All units of Vanguard Veteran and Sternguard Veterans must include 10 models. Vanguard Veterans must be equipped with jump packs.

Special Rules:

Surgical Strike Force: This Formation’s unit of Sternguard Veterans begins the game embarked upon the Formation’s Stormraven Gunship. The Formation’s Vanguard Veterans must be placed in Deep Strike Reserve. When making Reserve Rolls, make a single roll for the entire Formation, which you can choose to re-roll. On a successful Reserves Roll, all of the units in this Formation arrive from Reserve.

1st Company Armoury: Vanguard Veteran Squads from this Formation can take a single power weapon or lightning claw per model as a free upgrade. Sternguard Veteran Squads from this Formation can take a single storm bolter or combi-weapon per model as a free upgrade.

Source: Campaign: Shield of Baal: Exterminatus

It's a big investment, but if you're willing to build around it, it's a stupidly good deal. Vanguard Vets for 22 Points with Chainswords? Meh. 22 Points each with Power Weapons or Lightning Claws? That's a heck of a bargain. Then you throw in that Sternguard are good anyhow, and give them free Combis and it just gets ridiculous.

• Like 1

Something like this:  

Librarian:  80
Veritas Vitae

10 Scouts: 115 pts
CCW/BP, Meltabomb

10 Scouts: 115 pts
CCW/BP, Meltabomb

5 Scouts: 60 pts
CCW/BP, Meltabomb

CCW/BP, Meltabomb

CCW/BP, Meltabomb

CCW/BP, Meltabomb

10 Assault Marines: 200
2 Meltaguns
Drop Pod: Locator Beacon

10 Assault Marines: 200
2 Meltaguns
Drop Pod: Locator Beacon

10 Assault Marines: 190
2 Meltaguns

Archangels Sanguine Formation:  860 pts

10 power weapons

10 power weapons

10 Sternguard Vets: 220 pts
10 combi-weapons

Stormraven: 200
TL Assault Cannon, TL Multimelta

2000 pts

I guess?  I mean, without rolling dice, I have 40 scouts and 20 assault marines on the board on turn 1 (assuming no casualties, if I'm going second and interceptor etc).  That's still a ton of bodies that are scary to a lot of things that could really do work for a while.  The big formation in reserve comes in 88.8% of the time on turn 2, and about 98.75% of the time will arrive BY turn 3.  Now, that's assuming my opponent doesn't get some reserve manipulation stuff of their own (which I was JUST a victim of), so take with a grain of salt.  But, yes, having over half of one's points in reserve AUTOMATICALLY has a potential for some really sad moments.