HOG rules question for OFCC open and team events

PumpkinHead

With the ITC format FAQ it states the following:

Treat the five weapons on a Tyrannocyte/Sporocyst as if they are hull mounted weapons on a vehicle (i.e. they have a 45 degree firing arc).

I find this ruling ridiculous as the Tyrannocyte is a MC and as such has a 360 degree firing arc, no matter where the guns are pointed. So it would just shoot which ever unit is closest to the base with all 5 guns.

I am wondering what the HOG will rule for the Tyrannocyte and its shooting. The ruling will help my decision on including them in my army.

Thanks.
  • Like 1

Instinctive Fire: Each weapon on this model automatically fires at the nearest enemy unit within range and line of sight. The shots are resolved at the end

of the Shooting phase before Morale checks are taken.

I forgot about the part that says line of sight... but with MCs having 360 line of sight, it makes it hard to say that each gun targets something in a 45 degree arc.

• Like 1

Also, on topic, I don't think that's a horrible ruling. It's clearly intended to be a 'vehicle-like' MC.

Is it doing a pirouette of doom in order to engage a single target with all five guns?

How does any MC target in a 360 arc? The Tyrannocyte makes no less sense than the others in that regard. I don't like the ruling because it's a direct contradiction of the way the rules work without a particularly good rationale for why other than "we don't like that." Tyrannocytes certainly aren't breaking the game with their firepower and while GW's intent with the rule may be relatively clear, they completely [big bad swear word]ed up the actual implementation of the rule. That sort of rationale can easily lead to  further sliding until you're at the point of "well, we think they intended the rule to do this other thing so we rewrote it completely." Unfortunately, ITC does a lot of that.

I was thinking more about this after we discussed it last week.  Aren't these models also immobile?

The Tyrannocyte is able to move. You're thinking of the Sporocyst.

Instinctive Fire: Each weapon on this model automatically fires at the nearest enemy unit within range and line of sight. The shots are resolved at the end
of the Shooting phase before Morale checks are taken.

Any notes regarding firing at legal targets, or is it like the buildings, which techically target an the nearest enemy regardless of legally being able to fire at them...?

So, HoG, any stance regarding buildings, and these things, and targeting legal enemies? BVO does fix it with their FAQ.

Issue is that as written, they "target" the nearest enemy. In this edition, "Targeting" is determined prior to the point where weapons are selected.

In theory, RAW-wise, the Vengeance weapon batteries must target a flyer if it is the nearest enemy. Then they select their battle cannon and automatically miss the flyer with no scatter roll even attempted....

I don't mind a RAW-changing Ruling that restricts them to some firing arc, but 45 degrees seems  kind of ridiculously narrow for something that's supposed to be organic and flexible. It also really cuts down the effectiveness of what's already a pretty expensive Unit by making it almost impossible for it to focus it's fire at all, and very difficult for it to fire all weapons. I'd go with something more like a 135 degree arc if I were going to restrict it.

I immediately pictured this thing pointing all its guns straight up and then bending over kinda like at the waist to fire at a single target unit. Didn't care if it was immobile or not. Just needed to say that...

Some sort of yoga pose?

If you have a question for the HoG for the 40k Team/Open event, please PM them if they have not responded to your post on this thread within a reasonable amount of time (i.e. over a week).  The HoG will address the issues when they can.

@Pumkinhead until BigTal has made a ruling you may assume that since he is using the ITC rules packet that he will be using their faq/erratas/rulings until he specifically states otherwise.  Just a good general rule to use.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...