Thinking of starting a warriors of chaos army

I'm thinking of doing a warriors army and was looking for opinions on some units I was thinking of taking. First how good are dragon ogres? I like the new models and would like to run a unit or two. How would you arm them great weapons of two hand weapons. Second which is better slaughter brute or void beast. Also is a warshrine worth taking. I don't have the book yet so I am just looking at the models that I like. Please let Mr know if I am getting distracted by monsters and should look at other choices for the army. Also this is to play at ofcc so that is the kind of army I am looking to build.

This sounds like more of a fluff or fun army (if you don't mind my opinion), so I'd say any of those choices would be great.  They all have their uses.  Except the Slaughterbrute.  It's pretty terrible.  (Low number of attacks, no ward save, a decent chance of it attacking your own army, expensive points wise).  Unless you really like the model, which is pretty sweet, I'd go with something else.  The Shaggoth in particular could fill a similar role for fewer points (I think) and no chance of it attacking your own army.  Good fluff choice too if you're going to include normal Dragon Ogres (which I would take with great weapons, as you can get more/better S5 attacks with normal Warriors or Chosen).

I'm sure I know less about WoC than BeaverBeliever, but I wince at the suggestion to not take an amazing model that you really like just because it's not effective.

First, the OFCC is ALL ABOUT being able to take models like that and have a great game anyway.

Second, the event is comped so if you take one, you'll be guaranteed to face softer armies because of having it in your army, and your team will gain a points benefit just from having your army which includes a model that costs 205 pts and comps only -3 points!

Finally, I'm just going to repeat the first point: one of the main goals of the OFCC was to allow players to build the army they really wanted to, and still have fun playing it.  The Slaughterbrute is a prime example of an awesome model that you won't see at most other tournaments, but people will be totally stoked to see it and moreover you won't really be at a disadvantage for having one!

If he's what you want to paint and field, TAKE THE SLAUGHTERBRUTE :) :) :)

Okay I'm done :)

i love the fluff of dragon ogres... but they are just over priced for what they are :( .  shaggoths on the other hand are a decent option i think.  warshrines can be an ok choice to buff up your characters.  warriors is a GREAT army i think to start in the game.  so many fun and competitive options to build from.  if you are looking for a few pieces i may also be able to help you cause i recently bought up a bunch of warriors stuff for my legions army that i probably wont use and especially characters i could give you for super cheap.

You can certainly fit all of those options into a WoC army. Dragon ogres arent taken as often and are generally seen as a poor choice, I tend to disagree. They are fast, have swift stride, 4W, and can be S7, which is a great option to have in any army.

Id go with the vortex beast over the slaughterbrute, as I just cant find a true role for the latter. By bringing a Vortex beast and a Warshrine, you'll have 2 additional bound spells on the table which is always nice. You should be able to bypass needing 2 wizards and can spend those points on combat characters while still having an offensive magic threat. 

Ill second 'dont panic' about Woc being a great starter army, plenty of cool options, cheap to start, and dynamic in the movement and magic phases. I hope you follow through and start playing, its a great game and community. 

• Like 1

Dragon Ogres come down to choice.  I think they can pose a great threat, especially when supported with magic.  They do have the ability to wreck house in combat.  I think WoC is a solid challenge for someone to play effectively.  The army seems simple to play; however, it's challenging because your opponent knows that the game is won and lost during combat with WoC.

The Shaggoth is a great single threat option and offers the option for freedom of movement.

Of the stuff you listed - here's the two things I think are really pretty solid. You can play with anything you want, but since you asked if you were getting distracted by mosnter and should be running other stuff - these two things really are solid regardless:

Warshrine - Mark of Tzeentch. 135 points for WS5 T5 W5 3+ ward chariot. Gets stuck in stuff, in range of BSB doesn't break. How to kill a K'Daii? Frenzy bait with chaff and then charge it in the flank or rear with a 135 point warshrine. The buff spell is fine, but really not what you take it for, it's a bonus.

Dragon ogres - while they're not one of the normal choices, they are amazing models, IMO there's one way to run these guys. You have to maximize the GW potential, this means taking enough dragon ogres to take a couple casualties before swinging and still hurt. A unit of 6 with great weapons gives you 18 S7 attacks, and, more importantly, gives you 12 S7 attacks after 2 die before they get to swing.

• Like 1

Of the stuff you listed - here's the two things I think are really pretty solid. You can play with anything you want, but since you asked if you were getting distracted by mosnter and should be running other stuff - these two things really are solid regardless:

Warshrine - Mark of Tzeentch. 135 points for WS5 T5 W5 3+ ward chariot. Gets stuck in stuff, in range of BSB doesn't break. How to kill a K'Daii? Frenzy bait with chaff and then charge it in the flank or rear with a 135 point warshrine. The buff spell is fine, but really not what you take it for, it's a bonus.

Dragon ogres - while they're not one of the normal choices, they are amazing models, IMO there's one way to run these guys. You have to maximize the GW potential, this means taking enough dragon ogres to take a couple casualties before swinging and still hurt. A unit of 6 with great weapons gives you 18 S7 attacks, and, more importantly, gives you 12 S7 attacks after 2 die before they get to swing.

i mean i see their positives with their speed and hitting power, but their weakness is their defense and initiative.  WS4 means many elites hit them on 3s and T4 means they are going to get wounded heavily.  they will die to most of the good things out there before they swing.  most elves will just neuter them.  heck dwarfs arent scared of them at all really.  large footprint makes them easy to chaff as well.  6 are also 400 points!!  thats more than 30 slayers lol.  they've always just been easy points for me :(  they are good at flanking but so are other things that are under half the cost of them.  im just saying they take some patience and definitely finding that correct matchup for them which is really hard when you are just starting the game(like the OP).  even veterans its hard to make them work.  russ veal(top UK player) and mike gerald(top MW player) both will never use them in tournaments again due to lack of a role.  and i love dragon ogres(wish they were in beastmen and i still may buy them regardless) and like taking subpar yet good fit choices but they are not going to win you many games.   just may be a bad thing to try right away for the OP unless he's a patient person... 

Well, he doesn't seem to be trying to take only a min-maxed list. 

As for lack of a role, it depends on the type of warriors army your running. If you're running a warrior block, sure they're weird and kind of awkward. In a chariot spam they're target saturation and are a hard hitting countercharge when a chariot breaks/flees.

Sure you'd never take them over skullcrushers if you want the best of the best, but that doesn't mean they don't have a purpose. There is a difference between not having a role in a particular (or even dominant) build and not having a role in builds available in the book.

Also, maybe he ends up going to a swedish event. 6 Dragon ogres with great weapons is 15 comp points, that's pretty cheap (because they're not amazing).

*edit

As far as dying before they get to swing, that's why 3 is bad, a bigger unit won't, they're 4 wounds a piece. Just don't throw them into the front of deathstars.

A) The OP is not a new player, nor is he inexperienced. He is just looking for advice on a few units he is considering.

B) This is a build he is looking at for the OFCC. As we know it is 1) SwedeComped and 2) a friendly event so minmaxing is not on the agenda.

ah i see.  cool.  i concede :) you both have excellent points.  15 comp for 400 points is pretty darn good.  allows him to bring some strong stuff if he wants as well.  im just underwhelmed by them thats all.  never seen them really contribute much to a game, but ive also only seen them on the table maybe 4 times.

I am thinking of taking a large monster warriors list, here is a rough draft of my idea (not sure what the points come out to).

Special character Dragon Ogre Shaggoth guy

a Daemon Prince Wizard of some sort

Mandatory core (probably nurgle warriors with shield and sword)

dragon ogres (unit of 6 with great weapons)

Shaggoth

Slaughter Brute

Giant

6 Chaos trolls (I have some skin wolves that I would use as trolls)

maybe a few chaos spawn as well

• Like 1

Dragon Ogres come down to choice.  I think they can pose a great threat, especially when supported with magic.  They do have the ability to wreck house in combat.  I think WoC is a solid challenge for someone to play effectively.  The army seems simple to play; however, it's challenging because your opponent knows that the game is won and lost during combat with WoC.

The Shaggoth is a great single threat option and offers the option for freedom of movement.

I agree about the DO's If Skull Crushers weren't in the book, Dragon Ogres would be pretty popular. Not the Armour of Knights, but they can't be popped with killing blow.

• Like 1