White Dwarf Armies

I have a quesion for the masses.  Are White Dwarf armies legal to use?  I know some of the rules are outdated, but that should be an issue (i.e, gunpowder weapons now are move or shoot, unit strength doesn't exist any longer, 0-1 restrictions are removed from army books).  I was browsing an old White Dwarf, issue 305 to be exact, and I ran across something which would be extremely fun to do.  I don't know if the army would be very competitive but it sure would be fun as heck to build.

The army is the Vampire Pirates of the Vampire Coast.  Basically 70% zombies wiht a few vampires (who aren't wizards), some guns (similar to jezails but not as strong), a move and shoot cannon with a 36" range and S7, and a hell of a small template S10 war machine but rolls 2 artillery dice for distance and rolls on the cannon misfire table for each misfire rolled (i.e, 2 misfires means you roll twice on the table).

At any rate, I'm going to bring the White Dwarf with me, the next time I attend game night.  I'm hoping this is something I could bring to the table for some fun games.

historically the White Dwarf stuff as been "if both players agree". (though some has been deemed official by whatevers, the rulings were hit and miss). However, for something designed for a previous edition I'd say generally "No" for reason of balance and such, but with some tweaks it may still be a good time.

All in all, I'd say no it is not "legal", but any game of Warhammer can be rules by "If both players agree", so it might all be good.

historically the White Dwarf stuff as been "if both players agree". (though some has been deemed official by whatevers, the rulings were hit and miss). However, for something designed for a previous edition I'd say generally "No" for reason of balance and such, but with some tweaks it may still be a good time.

All in all, I'd say no it is not "legal", but any game of Warhammer can be rules by "If both players agree", so it might all be good.

According to the White Dwarf it is most certainly an official army to use. the only restriction listed is if special characters aren't allowed. The only lord option is a special character (no magic weapon, no armour) who must be taken and must be your general.

I say do it! If nothing else use the current Army List entries and just organize per the old list.

The army list entries in the white dwarf aren't bad. Pretty much everything is Initiative 0 and has ASL. Only 4 things strike at I order (all three characters and scurvy dogs).

Basically, some adjustments would need to be made for black powder weapons and the 0-1 option for queen bess. other than that the army is simple as heck.

There's no magic and the vampire pirates aren't nearly as crazy as the standard vampires. Even their version of a banshee is different. You take a LD test or suffer the effects of doom and darkness (used to hopefully force more failed fear tests in combat). Theres no option to raise dead so opponents won't have to worry about the unkillable horde.

Initiative of 0... doesn't that mean they're dead? I thought any stat reduced to 0 kills the model outright?

I love WD armies. My friend played an all slayers army list from like 3rd edition or something. I love slayers, and I definitely think they should have had their own sub-army to begin with, so it was refreshing to see. I feel sorry for bringing a mean HE list against it though. Trial run of Savage Knights of Horros: mounted lord with leaping gold/p.strength, 4 mounted nobles - one with star lance, mounted L4 Beasts, in a large silver helm bus, and 3 units of 10+ dragon princes for flanking, cast boosted savage beast.

10 attacks at WS7, S10, ASF with rerolls at I8, Magical Attacks, no AS allowed on To Wound rolls of 6s (Prince)
6 attacks at WS6, S10, ASF with rerolls at I7, Magical Attacks, no AS allowed (Noble with Star Lance)
18 attacks at WS6, S9, ASF with rerolls at I7 (2 Nobles and Noble BSB)
1 attack at WS4, S6, ASF with rerolls at I5 (L4 Archmage)
9 attacks at WS4, S5, ASF with rerolls at I5 (9 Silver Helms)

Suffice it to say, that was the first and last time I used that list. But I'm all for trying new/different things!