Old School Dungeon Crawl

Gailbraithe

So apparently many Warhamsters have never had a chance to play Old School D&D, which is a serious shame.  I want to correct that.  I'm thinking every other week, 6 to 10 pm, on some night other than Tuesday.  Thursday or Friday would probably be best.  Game will probably run 4 to 8 sessions.  I haven't settled on which system I want to use, I'm considering either Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG or Lamentations of the Flame Princess.  They're pretty similar, both very well done OED&D games.  There is a free version of Lamentations available as a PDF, and its a little closer to true Basic D&D, so I may go that way rather than throw n00bs into the deep water that is DCC's truly insane magic system.

Who all is interested?

• 2 weeks later...

Hrrmm.  Need more than two players.  At least four, six would be best.  Anyone know anyone who is not a warhamster that might want to play?  How does one reach out to Bellingham gamers?

The more I've been thinking about this, the more I've been jonesing to run an actual campaign again.  It's been like four or five years since I ran a regular game and I didn't realize how much I missed DMing until i started thinking about DMing this game.

I would love to play a full on campaign. I am so excited...what system do you want to use? Because I have all the 2.0 advanced stuff.

If I decide to run an actual campaign, I'll be using the only system I really love -- HERO System.  The only book you'll need (and you really won't need it) is the HERO System Sidekick.  When I run HERO System, I prefer to build the characters, so I usually just have players write up a two or three paragraph description of their character and his/her background and then I translate that into rules.  HERO is an extremely, extremely complicated system to really master (the main rulebook weighs like 5 lbs and is three inches thick!), but it's pretty easy to use if you don't have to build your own character (which is why I prefer to build the characters, new players tend to create very suboptimal characters and waste tons of points).  My favorite thing about HERO is that its an effects-based point build system, so you can literally make any kind of character you want. Its far more flexible and allows for much more well-rounded characters, especially the sort of jack-of-all-trades fighter/rogue/magic-users types that are common fantasy heroes. 

And no, we're not starting Tuesday.

If I decide to run an actual campaign, I'll be using the only system I really love -- HERO System.  The only book you'll need (and you really won't need it) is the HERO System Sidekick.  When I run HERO System, I prefer to build the characters, so I usually just have players write up a two or three paragraph description of their character and his/her background and then I translate that into rules.  HERO is an extremely, extremely complicated system to really master (the main rulebook weighs like 5 lbs and is three inches thick!), but it's pretty easy to use if you don't have to build your own character (which is why I prefer to build the characters, new players tend to create very suboptimal characters and waste tons of points).  My favorite thing about HERO is that its an effects-based point build system, so you can literally make any kind of character you want. Its far more flexible and allows for much more well-rounded characters, especially the sort of jack-of-all-trades fighter/rogue/magic-users types that are common fantasy heroes. 

And no, we're not starting Tuesday.

So we are going to be playing as super heroes? or are we going to use the system for Fantasy?

So we are going to be playing as super heroes? or are we going to use the system for Fantasy?

We'll be using the system for fantasy.  It works for any kind of genre.  The last big campaign I ran using HERO was a sci-fi crime drama that was about 50/50 Firefly and Farscape.  I've used it for everything from a X-Files meets Call of Cthulhu campaign to four-color comic books to high fantasy.  The idea I have for this campaign will definitely be in the dark fantasy/sword and sorcery genre.  A little bit Thieve's World, a little bit Fritz Lieber, a whole lot of cults, intrigues and urban cesspool.

I'd like to join the party. I've played through some of the 2nd edition advanced Crpgs, but have always wanted to get the real deal. I agree that non-Tuesday would probably be best.

Awesome!  If VonVikee's friend is interested, we'll have a party.  And actually I can easily do a campaign for three with HERO since combats are more predictable and less swingy, and characters are so bloody over-specialized.

Does this work?

Hannewig Marcellous

Background/History: The first son of Baron Hallis Marcellous (a distant cousin of Tyran XIII, the King of Brovana), Hannewig served with distinction as a knight in King's Army. His eyes were constantly on the goal of becoming a part of the elite Wyvern Guard and increasing both his own standing and the standing of his family. On track to becoming a knight of high renown, Hannewig thought he was above the political corruption so common in Brovana, but he was unaware of the scheming of his younger brother Nico, who had fallen for the dark lure of black sorcery and desired to inherit the family holdings himself. 
After Hannewig returned to the capital, Brova, from a tour serving with the border patrol, Nico’s plans came to fruition. Hannewig was framed for the murder of his father, who was poisoned in his sleep. His world turned upside down Hannewig found himself fleeing from the Greyshields (Brova's city guard) and the twisted plans of his brother. 

Escaping on a merchant ship, Hannewig was lost onto the world. In a state of shock he drifted from port to port, until he found himself in the bustling merchant hub of Kanir. His once pure and honorable heart had been twisted from treachery, betrayal and time he set himself to perfecting the methods for which to return his wrath to those who had wronged him. And so the white knight became a mercenary of vengeance.
Personality/Motivation: Hannewig is driven by a strong sense of vengeance and is waiting until he can return and give his brother what he deserves. He is willing to do almost anything to that end. He always honors his contracts and will only abandon them if he has been betrayed. In which case he will enact part of his vengeance on them. He is darkly driven and always seems slightly distant from his body. 
Quote: No trait is more justified than revenge in the right time and place.
Powers/ Tactics: In battle Hannewig will use whatever advantage he has at his disposal to opponents, and his years as a mercenary and assassin has made him stealthy and proven the power of surprise, poisons and ambush. However some fragment of his previous life holds true, Hannewig will not back down from a challenge of personal combat, nor will he interfere in a personal combat of others. He usually fights with a heavy maul (two handed) or a spiked mace and heavy shield. 
Appearance: 5’10 with shaggy unkempt black hair, brown eyes. He has a beard which he keeps trim even while on the run. His usual attire is chainmail wrapped in leather with lose cloth so as to muffle the sound of his approach. When he knows combat will be inevitable he dons his old knights armor. He has removed all the previous insignias from the armor and painted the entire thing black, and a white skeleton on top of that. The only thing that he has been unable to alter (except for with paint) has been his helmet having been a family heirloom. The helm was a bascinet whose design was made to look as if flames were enshrouding the helm.

Now with DM's additions 

Edited by generalripphook

Does this work?

Hannewig Marcellous Canniewick

Background/History: Born the second son of a noble, Hannewig was set on the track to becoming a knight for his homeland so he could earn a title and estate of his own untied from inheritance. Oh his track to becoming a knight of high renown and honorable up bearing he was unaware of the political scheming that was working its way through the kingdom, more specifically the scheming of his younger brother Nico, a wizard.

After returning to the capital from attending a tournament of arms, Nico’s plans came to fruition. Hannewig found himself framed for the murder of a royal family member, his brother slain in a “border incident” and his father passing away in his sleep. His world turned upside down Hannewig found himself fleeing from his brother knights and the twisting plans of his brother.

Escaping as a merchant guard Hannewig was lost onto the world. In a state of shock he drifted from caravan to caravan until he found himself in a bustling merchant hub. His once pure and honorable heart had been twisted from treachery, betrayal and time he set himself to perfecting the methods for which to return his wraith to those who had wronged him. And so the white knight became a mercenary of vengeance.

Personality/Motivation: Hannewig is driven by a strong sense of vengeance and is waiting until he can return and give his brother what he deserves. He is willing to do almost anything to that end. He always honors his contracts and will only abandon them if he has been betrayed.  In which case he will enact part of his vengeance on them. He is darkly driven and always seems slightly distant from his body.

Quote: No trait is more justified than revenge in the right time and place.

Powers/ Tactics: In battle Hannewig will use whatever advantage he has at his disposal to opponents, and his years as a mercenary and assassin has made him stealthy and proven the power of surprise, poisons and ambush. However some fragment of his previous life holds true, Hannewig will not back down from a challenge of personal combat, nor will he interfere in a personal combat of others. He usually fights with a heavy maul (two handed) or a spiked mace and heavy shield.

Appearance: 5’5 with shaggy unkempt black hair, brown eyes. He has a beard which he keeps trim even while on the run. His usual attire is chainmail wrapped in leather with lose cloth so as to muffle the sound of his approach. When he knows combat will be inevitable he dons his old knights armor. He has removed all the previous insignias from the armor and painted the entire thing black, and a white skeleton on top of that. The only thing that he has been unable to alter (except for with paint) has been his helmet having been a family heirloom. The helm was a bascinet whose design was made to look as if flames were enshrouding the helm.

That works.

I'll follow the same template for consistency. (GM edits added)

Rutger

Background/History: Born to an already dying mother and absent father, Rutger was raised as one of thousands of orphaned children in the free city of Magath. In his first few years he was granted asylum at one of the many orphanages run by the Church of Simon. He learned how to take care of his own under the guidance of the monks, gaining a measure of their discipline and compassion. Eventually he grew too old to be reasonably provided for by the orphanage, and parted on mutual terms.

Survival henceforth was day to day, and Rutger soon learned that ruthless cunning was sometimes a sad necessity outside of the orphanage's halls. The city was an unforgiving place, but Rutger soon adapted to the harsh environment, resolving to survive. One day he noticed a call-to-arms for the Magath Free Corps, which everyone knew was organized by the Lord Mayor of Magath, despite its pretense as a "free mercenary company."  The newly instated force that would guard the waters surrounding Magath from the now rampant predation of pirates, smugglers and thieves, funded by privateering contracts with the Free City of Magath.  Rutger leaped at the chance to escape the city and joined up immediately.

Rutger himself barely made it through the training. About one third of the original recruits were left after all was said and done. Every raw recruit was handed a crossbow, boarding axe, and a mantle bearing the city's colors. The newly formed unit was looked down upon by most as a group or upstarts and scoundrels, no better than their quarry, but their rapid shock tactics via close range crossbow assaults proved brutally effective at repelling would be pirates. Rutger gained no small amount of pride for the success of the Free Corps. For the first time in his life, he was proud to be a citizen of the city that he served, and he did so for several years.

Unfortunately, the Free Corps was hated by the city's nobility, particularly the Council of Lords, who saw the new military force as loyal to the Mayor and thus a threat to their own power -- the Lord Mayor, elected by the free citizens of Magath, was traditionally antagonistic to the nobles, but was forced to supplicate to them due to their control of the ships of the city.  The neighboring city states protested the establishment of the Free Corps as well, claiming it was a violation of the anti-aggression treaties that maintained the freedom of the free cities.  Eventually the Free Corps became a victim of their own success, and the bounties diminished as the number of surviving pirates fell. When the Lord Mayor sought to draw funds from the city exchequer to refit the Free Corps' aging fleet, the Magath Council of Lords seized on the opportunity to challenge the Corps' charter. Then the Corps seized a merchant vessel in an act of piracy, and though the Captain of the Free Corps ship swore the merchant had been flying the black, the Council of Lords had all the "proof" they needed to cancel the charter.  The Council of Lords took it much farther than merely canceling the charter -- the Marines of the Corps were forced to surrender or be outlawed, their ships were scuttled, weapons were broken, and officers were tried and imprisoned, some even hung for piracy.  It was all a show, a demonstration of the noble's power.

The Lord Mayor, determined to break the power of the nobles, was not so easily derailed.  Gathering veterans from the most respected and loyal military regiments, an organization would be formed to wage secret and stealthy war against threats to the Lord Mayor and the city. Rutger and a few of his brethren were among those chosen. He now serves to uphold the ideals of Magath, even as it falls prey to decadence and destruction from within.

Personality/Motivation: Rutger is a cunning, determined individual, who will do almost anything to accomplish his missions. He is not averse to killing those who stand in his way, but has a kinder heart towards the innocent and downtrodden, especially those of the City State. He maintains close ties to these lower classes, who offer him information rather freely on his next marks and tasks. He is loyal and patriotic to a fault, and will follow his orders to the letter, knowing full well that the Lord Mayor favors the good of the people.

Quote: "Kill them in their sleep so that our own may sleep soundly."

Powers/Tactics: Rutger fights best with his crossbow at medium range, delivering a punishing volley to debilitate his foes and then rushing in to finish the job with a boarding axe, tactics well learnt in ship to ship fighting and raids against pirate lairs. He favors quick and brutal blows to critical areas, putting enemies out of their misery before they can rouse their comrades. He can duel enemies for a time, but battles go more quickly in his favor when he has support from allies or the element of surprise and ambush, where he can calmly pinpoint enemy weaknesses without worrying about his own defense. He is also a fair hand with throwing knives, using them when his crossbow is out of reach or out of bolts.

Appearance: 6'1" with a lean, wiry and muscular form. Various scars on face and body from boarding actions. Close-cropped hair and slight stubble. Wears thick boiled leather cuirass with accompanying greaves and vambraces. Billowing lace shirt and thick cloth pants tucked underneath armor. Wears mantle from Marine service across one shoulder, but the colors are so threadbare as to be unrecognizable. Has braces of crossbow bolts strapped around one leg and one arm, as well as a brace of throwing knives across the chest. He holsters his crossbow across his back and his axe hangs at his right hip. Much of his equipment is well-worn, but still kept in good, sturdy condition.

• Like 1

I'll follow the same template for consistency.

Rutger

Background/History: Born to an already dying mother and absent father, Rutger was raised as one of thousands of orphaned children in the capital city of Brova. In his first few years he was granted asylum at one of the many orphanages run by the Brovan religious orders. He learned how to take care of his own under the guidance of the monks, gaining a measure of their discipline and compassion. Eventually he grew too old to be reasonably provided for by the orphanage, and parted on mutual terms.

Survival henceforth was day to day, and Rutger soon learned that ruthless cunning was sometimes a sad necessity outside of the orphanage's halls. The city was an unforgiving place, but Rutger soon adapted to the harsh environment, resolving to survive. One day he noticed a call-to-arms for the King's Royal Marines, a newly reinstated force that would guard the Royal Navy and its nation's trading vessels from the now rampant predation of pirates, smugglers and thieves. Rutger leaped at the chance to escape the city and joined up immediately.

The recruiters cared little for rank or birth, and Rutger saw more than a few glory hungry nobles get their comeuppance for expecting an easy ride to command. Rutger himself barely made it through the training. About one third of the original recruits were left after all was said and done. Every raw recruit was handed a crossbow, boarding axe, and a mantle bearing the king's colors. The newly formed unit was looked down upon by most as a group or upstarts and scoundrels, no better than their quarry, but their rapid shock tactics via close range crossbow assaults proved brutally effective at repelling would be pirates. Rutger gained no small amount of pride for the success of the Royal Marines. For the first time in his life, he was proud to be a part of the Kingdom that he served, and he did so for several years.

However, as the Kingdom fought well abroad, a foul darkness began to rot at it from within. Dark sorcerers, cults and rebellious nobles threatened to tear the Kingdom apart, and the King began to fear for his life. Gathering veterans from the most respected and loyal military regiments, an organization would be formed to wage secret and stealthy war against threats to the Sovereign and the Kingdom. Rutger and a few of his brethren were among those chosen. He now serves to uphold the ideals of Brova, even as it falls prey to decadence and destruction from within.

Personality/Motivation: Rutger is a cunning, determined individual, who will do almost anything to accomplish his missions. He is not averse to killing those who stand in his way, but has a kinder heart towards the innocent and downtrodden, especially those of his Kingdom. He maintains close ties to these lower classes, who offer him information rather freely on his next marks and tasks. He is loyal and patriotic to a fault, 

Quote:

Powers/Tactics: Rutger fights best with his crossbow at medium range, delivering a punishing volley to debilitate his foes and then rushing in to finish the job with a boarding axe, tactics well learnt in ship to ship fighting and raids against pirate lairs. He favors quick and brutal blows to critical areas, putting enemies out of their misery before they can rouse their comrades. He can duel enemies for a time, but battles go more quickly in his favor when he has support from other agents or the element of surprise and ambush. Also a fair hand with throwing knives, using them when his crossbow is out of reach or out of bolts.

Appearance: 6'1" with a lean, wiry and muscular form. Various scars on face and body from boarding actions. Close-cropped hair and slight stubble. Wears thick boiled leather cuirass with accompanying greaves and vambraces. Billowing lace shirt and thick cloth pants tucked underneath armor. Wears mantle from Marine service across one shoulder, but the colors are so threadbare as to be unrecognizable. Has braces of crossbow bolts strapped around one leg and one arm, as well as a brace of throwing knives across the chest.

I'm going to have to rewrite the background a bit -- Brova has been a wretched hive of corruption pretty much forever, and the establishment of religion is illegal within its borders.  I'll PM you the details.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.