Spike 2015 skills pack conversation

Weav

Thank you Weav for posting this up. I came to this because I was looking at the rules for running a 1 day event during OFCC. Once I saw the drastic changes I wanted to get others thoughts on the rules. Right now I am leaning towards giving them a shot for a 1 day event. Try them out and see what happens. I plan to look at what other events are doing as this is a drastic change from years past for them.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

So my understanding is 1.2 mil buy 150k for skills max 40k on a player no repeats? The no repeats seems to be away to balance shenanigans a bit, no?

Craig and Mike are pretty smart guys, maybe there was something broken? Maybe they saw room for improvement?

Yes, Craig and Mike are smart and good guys, and I don't have a problem with changing the structure of the tourney. I like that this will mix up the scene. I hope no more Elves dominating the top of the chart.

I see three changes to the structure:

increase of money from 1.1m to 1.2m

Loss of Star players, except for Stunties and weapons ( and stab ).

acceptance of a tiered approach to teams and skills, giving the underperforming teams more skills.

With the increase of money to 1.2m but you can't spend money on Stars, I can only see teams:

Get bigger, start off with 12 or more players.

Get more rerolls, which reduces turnover chances.

I think having an overall greater number of players hurts bashy teams the most, as they can't get the board advantage they need.

I think more rerolls evens out the game and makes the team have fewer "bad" turns later in the half when it gets to crunch time.

So lets look at my Lizardman team:

Last year:

6 Sauruses = 480

4 Skinks = 240

1 Star Slibli = 250

2 rerolls = 120

1 FF

2 Block, 2 Guard, 2 Break tackle on the Sauruses, giving me 3 block and 3 guard with Slibli. Hit people and run for a touchdown.

This Year:

6 Sauruses = 480

4 Skinks = 240

1 Krox = 140

4 Rerolls = 240

Still 100k left

Lizards get 9 points for skills as a tier-1 team.

Block, Block, Break Tackle, Break tackle = 8 points, so 1 more... maybe stand firm or grab? on a saurus.

Maybe the Star Player Hemlock 8237, Loner, Block, Dodge, Side Step, Jump Up, STAB, Stunty to get a blocking ball carrier with Loner? 

I don't really want an additional Skink, as they are not great as a traditional "lineman".

So my Bashy level has gone down, but I could get 5 rerolls! who needs that. Weird.

Already built my winning roster: Goblins. 

430 - Morg 'n' Thorg

110 - Troll - Block - 4 SP

110 - Troll - Block - 5 SP

40 - Looney - Dodge - 2 SP

40 - Goblin - Sure Hands - 4 SP

40 - Goblin - Side Step - 1 SP

40 - Goblin - Diving Tackle - 1 SP

160 - 4 Goblins

180 - 3 Rerolls

50 - Goblin Bribe

1.2M - 17 SP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,  Here's the reasoning behind changing the team build rules.  The single biggest comment we got was that there were too many of the same build of every race that came, ie. norse builds all had the same positionals and skills, and to a certain extent that was true.  The other comment regarding teams was that the "power" races were too commonly represented, again, that's true and not unexpected in a competitve tournament.  I also think that it was certainly the case that the premium rosters, of all races, kind of wrote themselves, in other words the best roster was kind of obvious.  This was a very common comment with the local guys that, like many of you ahd played in the event each and every year.  Responding to this was one of the things that I had hoped would improve the tournament, and so I looked at tournaments from all over the world to find a team build rule set that would address that comment.  I found what I was looking for in a tournament in England called the "Ironmanj" that is run by on of last years Spike! participants named Joe Hainstock.  I asked him if he was OK if we used his rules and he allowed us to use them.  In my conversations with Joe I told him of the problems I wanted to fix in the Spike! and he told me that the point of the rules that he designed and tested was to increase racial diversity at his tournament and the build possibilitys in each race.  I was interested in who had accually won his tournament and the last winner was a Slann team, and I thought that was interesting because Slann was very non-competitive race in our last team build rule set.  The rules certainly still allow the power teams to be good but clearly they raise the basement of the other races that have a less competitive play style in tournament play.  I think the new build rules should make for a very interesting and competitive tournament that I'm really looking forward to!

The other change I think that you guys might be interested in is the Location: Sapperton Pensioner’s Hall. 318 Keary St, New Westminster, BC.  This is only a block and a half away form the Skytrain meaning that we won't be stuck out in Whiterock at the Uhhh interesting, Pacific Inn, but it will make it possible to get downtown or all over the lowermainland to experiance some more of the city, if that is of interested to you.  We will be announcing a reduced rate with a hotel that is close to the Venue, but should you wish to stay down town, you'll be able to make that choice.

I hope to see all our usual friends form Ordo Fanaticus at the tournament this year, it should be a really good time! S.

• Like 2

Hi Guys, Here's the reasoning behind changing the team build rules. The single biggest comment we got was that there were too many of the same build of every race that came, ie. norse builds all had the same positionals and skills, and to a certain extent that was true. The other comment regarding teams was that the "power" races were too commonly represented, again, that's true and not unexpected in a competitve tournament. I also think that it was certainly the case that the premium rosters, of all races, kind of wrote themselves, in other words the best roster was kind of obvious. This was a very common comment with the local guys that, like many of you ahd played in the event each and every year. Responding to this was one of the things that I had hoped would improve the tournament, and so I looked at tournaments from all over the world to find a team build rule set that would address that comment. I found what I was looking for in a tournament in England called the "Ironmanj" that is run by on of last years Spike! participants named Joe Hainstock. I asked him if he was OK if we used his rules and he allowed us to use them. In my conversations with Joe I told him of the problems I wanted to fix in the Spike! and he told me that the point of the rules that he designed and tested was to increase racial diversity at his tournament and the build possibilitys in each race. I was interested in who had accually won his tournament and the last winner was a Slann team, and I thought that was interesting because Slann was very non-competitive race in our last team build rule set. The rules certainly still allow the power teams to be good but clearly they raise the basement of the other races that have a less competitive play style in tournament play. I think the new build rules should make for a very interesting and competitive tournament that I'm really looking forward to!

The other change I think that you guys might be interested in is the Location: Sapperton Pensioner’s Hall. 318 Keary St, New Westminster, BC. This is only a block and a half away form the Skytrain meaning that we won't be stuck out in Whiterock at the Uhhh interesting, Pacific Inn, but it will make it possible to get downtown or all over the lowermainland to experiance some more of the city, if that is of interested to you. We will be announcing a reduced rate with a hotel that is close to the Venue, but should you wish to stay down town, you'll be able to make that choice.

I hope to see all our usual friends form Ordo Fanaticus at the tournament this year, it should be a really good time! S.

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the insight. I know I am planning on going, hopefully with a new team :)

So, thinking about Slann in this format and trying to imagine them winning. You could give all 4 Catchers Block, as well as the Krox. That's a slew of AG4 running around with Block and Leap. But they don't have Dodge, which makes them mediocre Gutter Runners for the same price. So you could give them all Dodge instead of Block, which would make them not-quite-as-good-but-oddly-interesting Gutter Runners. Hmm.