Storm Hawks: A log

AgentP

I've settled upon a Marine chapter:  The Storm Hawks.  They are a codex chapter but very little is known about them.  To the best of my knowledge, they have no published fluff.  I am making them entirely as a hobby endeavor.  I have zero interest in making them competitive (although it is fine if they are).  They will be what I paint up during the next league, and I will play them throughout, and at game nights.  I'm painting them white, with red trim, and will be including lots of wing/feather iconography.  I envision them as a fast attack army, very mobile and in your face.  Here is the force.  I will not be changing it.  I'm buying these models, painting these models, and I will not let myself buy anything else for the army until they are finished to a man.

18917264858_e9d7d4ebb3_z.jpg

• Like 6

I may have encountered a problem.  The Skyhammer comes in turn one, shoots, and hopefully assaults.  But the addition of the Nephilim fighter into the Ravenwing Strike Force will delay the entire formation coming on the board until turn 2.  They would have to turbo boost to get within shooting range on turn 3.  That's leaving the Skyhammer on its own too long, plus it's denying the ravening any benefit of their scout move.  I think the fighter will have to go.  I'm bummed, it's a beautiful model, but its inclusion seems to fundamentally alter the way the army would work.  And alas, I can't include a landing pad.

The fighter thing is in debate. You can deploy the Fighter in reserve and the rest on the board (at least in my thinking). I'm waiting for my copy of the dex to be sure though.

If it were a regular Detachment, sure, but the Strike as One special Rule really reads to me like it all needs to either be on the board or all in Reserves.

I may have encountered a problem.  The Skyhammer comes in turn one, shoots, and hopefully assaults.  But the addition of the Nephilim fighter into the Ravenwing Strike Force will delay the entire formation coming on the board until turn 2.  They would have to turbo boost to get within shooting range on turn 3.  That's leaving the Skyhammer on its own too long, plus it's denying the ravening any benefit of their scout move.  I think the fighter will have to go.  I'm bummed, it's a beautiful model, but its inclusion seems to fundamentally alter the way the army would work.  And alas, I can't include a landing pad.

Where are you finding this formation?

This is all I've got for a leaked codex (source: pretre) http://imgur.com/a/0zgd7 Not seeing a Raven Wing Strike Force.

The problem is knowing what GW means when they say "as normal", or something similar. I've seen some truly epic arguments come up over that kind of wording, one of which (Cover from intervening Units) still crops up occasionally, while others have been rendered moot because the rule in question went away. So the question here is, when GW wrote "as normal", did they mean "on the table, not using any alternate Deployment Rules" (i.e. "normal" Deployment), or did they mean "with no restrictions that wouldn't otherwise apply if these Units weren't in this Detachment".

• Like 1

First thing that jumped out to me was two very different marine type rules for Marines that will all be painted the same. As an opponent I'd appreciate something decently obvious for which Marines have which rules.

Second thought is the bikes vs the foot Marines so I'd prolly be fine. I'd just wonder if you could organize this all from the marine dex using white scars, which with hit and run could see you using the skyhammer interaction rules more... But not the fighter. You wouldn't get the skyhammer with dark angles could you?

I don't think it'll be a problem.  It's pretty easily differentiated through troop type.  

As to the idea of running them as White Scars, I suppose that is an option, but I really prefer the dark angel bike models more, due to the feathers and wings.  And to me it would be more confusing to run DA models as white scars

• Like 1

I don't think it'll be a problem. It's pretty easily differentiated through troop type.

As to the idea of running them as White Scars, I suppose that is an option, but I really prefer the dark angel bike models more, due to the feathers and wings. And to me it would be more confusing to run DA models as white scars

I agree but my first thought looking at just the last was eeep multiple Marines that will be painted the same.

My second thought is right where you are, I'd be happy with the consideration you have given it.

I'd still recommend trying the white scars on the skyhammer, Rerolling bolters like you have will be good but being able to ditch combat shoot some more and disrupt charge again later could be just as good.

Just a second option to keep in mind those plasma talons will want to be able to shoot and your skyhammer guys might get in the way sometimes. Play it out as written and track how many times you can't shoot what you want as a result of ongoing combats.