Dice Masters?

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Anyone try this dice building game? Game seems interesting. Just curious if anyone tried this, as a collectible game seems cheap and easy.

• Like 1

I played it briefly when the first set came out.

I couldn't get in any casual games & at tournaments people played the "gonna win" hotness. So, I'd have to play the same thing to not get stomped. So I didn't play long. Now that there is a lot of dice masters out there, the auto win combos have probably been diluted. 

I could be cheap if you don't have a completest thing - like I do.  :ph34r:

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I received the Avengers 2-player as a gift.  Glancing over the rules, at first it seems a bit much.  Or rather, more than I was honestly expecting from the game.  I know my preconceived notions are causing me problems when reading the rules, as well.  I'm going to bring it with me to work tonight and run the "Intro" game a couple times solo and then a couple "regular" matches solo, if there is the dice for it.  As close as I can, otherwise.  

Any advice or heads up on potentially confusing situations?

• Like 1

Watch it Played, I think you mean, Weav?  I watched their little series last night or the night before, it helped get order of operations down.  I'm not sure what clicked or when, but I'm glad I realized that each Character Card is its own thing, as opposed to a set of 3.  I was having problems figuring out how to "Spin Up" a card, for the obvious reasons lol.  I'm enjoying it a lot.  Played 4 or 5 games against myself to get flow down.  Kept forgetting to activate abilities, such as Ultron Capturing or Hawkeye Damaging.  Also, trying to remember to purchase Action cards. 

Speaking of Ultron, his "When Blocked" abilities are triggered at the end of the "Declare Blockers" stage, so all damage by both parties are null as this happens before the "Assign Damage" step, correct? 

As for Actions, it seems like when picking your two, it is advantageous to pick a 2 or 3 cost one to help bolster your economy.  That, or having a couple cheap characters being a part of your pool.  I kept feeling like one of the players would get economy choked too easily, even with characters costing 3, 4, 4 and 6. 

Oh, that takes me back to Team Building.  Do the 8 Sidekick dice count as part of the 20 dice, or are they in addition to the 20 dice?

• Like 1

So, I found the answer, 8+20 on this page: http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/2015-dice-masters-u-s-national-championship-top-8-teams/

I also learned a few things. Mixed feelings on what I discovered.  On one end, I love that it is fully mixed.  Looking forward to the Ninja Turtles set that is coming out.  I'd like to see some other IPs get picked up, too.  AvP would be a great one.  Marvel vs Capcom comes to mind, too.  Endless possibilities, really. 

On the other hand, net lists are dumb.  Based on the top eight, here is a "winning list." 

Resurrection

bff137-resurrection.jpg?roundedcorners=r

Polymorph

bff136-polymorph.jpg?roundedcorners=radi

Professor X: Recruiting Young Mutants – 1 Die

uxm049-recruitingyoungmutants.jpg?rounde

Psylocke: Kwannon the Assassin – 4 Dice

uxm110-kwannontheassassin.jpg

Black Widow: Tsarina – 4 Dice

avx129-tsarina.jpg

Green Goblin: Gobby – 4 Dice

avx130-gobby.jpg?roundedcorners=radius-1

Human Torch: Johnny Storm – 4 Dice

avx078-johnnystorm.jpg?roundedcorners=ra

Blue-Eyes White Dragon : Monstrous Dragon – 1 Die

s1074-monstrousdragon.jpg?roundedcorners

Hulk: Green Goliath – 2 Dice

avx077-greengoliath.jpg?roundedcorners=r

I can't read PDFs on this computer, unfortunately.  Can someone explain to me how Blue Eyes global ability interacts with the rest of the team? As far as I can tell, it is the only monster on the team.  Why would you sack it to give -2 cost to something else when it is already beastly?  I don't plan on playing this, just an observation on the top 8 being nearly identical, and that being slightly off putting.  Is that because the game is young?  Or is it because of poor design?

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me how Blue Eyes global ability interacts with the rest of the team? As far as I can tell, it is the only monster on the team.  Why would you sack it to give -2 cost to something else when it is already beastly?  I don't plan on playing this, just an observation on the top 8 being nearly identical, and that being slightly off putting.  Is that because the game is young?  Or is it because of poor design?

Sorry  for the delay of my reply. I wanted to be at my PC for the reply, as opposed to my phone. First, please understand that BEWD rare is one of the best cards in the game, and nearly universally used. It is typically only used for the global (BEWDG). The issue you're having is that there are interchangeable terms in Dice Masters: Character/Monster (unrelated to this conversation, sidekick/NPC); so, by activating BEWDG, the next dice you buy has its cost reduced by two. So, I spend my bolt energy to activate BEWDG, KO a character in my field, then I can buy an eight cost card for six, seven cost for five and so on...it doesn't have to be a Yuh-Gi-Oh (YGO) monster, it can be any dice available for you to purchase. 

As far as the build design of the game, it is changing and rapidly. The list you posted would have been a classic example of the meta as recent as six months ago. However, in the past half-year several very cool sets came out, and that has added over 300 cards to the game. My 'unlimited constructed' build only uses one of those cards, though I will say I haven't practiced with it much. One of my big complaints over the past year playing the game was the consistency in contructed builds. Now we are slowing getting past that. Many long-time WizK!ds gamers believe that Avengers vs XMen and Uncanny XMen (the first two sets) will no longer be available for official tournament play in the next six months. In HeroClix, I believe they call these sets 'Golden Age', and the average tournament doesn't use them.

Keep the questions coming!

• Like 1

To use an Action Cards Global, do you have to have purchased one of those action die into your pool, or do all players automatically have access to Basic Action Globals without purchasing anything?

You may use any global from any card on either side of the board. For example, I often bring the D&D Battle of Faerun basic action (BAC) Resurrection; that card includes a global that allows you to spend a shield to prep a die from your bag. I do not have to purchase a Resurrection die in order to use its global, I may use the global at anytime allowed by the rules.

Still feels odd to me to benefit from my opponents character card. It also seems that if you "know" "everyone" is going to bring ProfX or BEWD, why bother bringing your own copies when you can use theirs, ya know?

Setting aside the competitive scene, do fluffy forces remain fun?

Fluffy forces are great fun if both players are playing them. If one is playing unlimited constructed and the other is not, then it will likely be a bloodbath.

As far as the first question, it depends on how important those two cards are to your build. If they are crucial, then you don't want to run the risk of not having them if your opponent doesn't bring them. I don't have BEWD in my unlimited constructed build, but I do have PXG.

Do 2-player Starter Characters come in the Foil Packs as well?

The character does, but the three variants do not. For example, the AvX starter comes with three Hulk cards: Anger Issues, Annihilator, and Jade Giant. In the foil packs you will find an uncommon called Green Goliath. The fourth card is usually a common, though it can be common, uncommon, rare or even super-rare, in theory. However, I've only seen common or uncommon. 

• Like 1

I went 2-1 tonight in an unlimited constructed tournament at TFAW Milwaukie. I co-won with another player because we were both 2-1 with the same .667 strength of schedule.

My build tonight was WoL rare lantern ring, iron fist, zombie magneto, prof X, uncommon kobald (d&d), WoL uncommon Mera, Spider-Man The Amazing, and AoU Cap America Super Soldier. Basic actions were Crush Card Virus from YGO and D&D Magic missle.

• Like 1

My build tonight was WoL rare lantern ring, iron fist, zombie magneto, prof X, uncommon kobald (d&d), WoL uncommon Mera, Spider-Man The Amazing, and AoU Cap America Super Soldier. Basic actions were Crush Card Virus from YGO and D&D Magic missle.

I know nothing of this game. The above paragraph blew my mind.

• Like 1