My Future League Plans. Give Me Your Thoughts

savion47

So, I have heard from some folks about the league and their desire to keep teams from season to season. Yes, I would like to reset everyone to fresh next year. This year has really been my attempt to get players out of hiding and try to introduce new players to the game and build a base from which we can grow. 

Starting in 2016, I want things to change from how things have been done in the past. Ordo has generally done one off leagues once a year or less. I hope to change that. Part of that is creating a league that persists continuously. Essentially no restarts forced upon every coach. For the most part every coach decides when they want to retire a team and start a new one. This will be kicked off with a slight boost using the BB 7's tournament. 

I want to ask players what they would like to see in terms of the league next year. To sum up some of my thoughts:

• Persistent League instead of one off leagues
  • Have 2 separate leagues if the number of players allow so new teams and new coaches have good games as well.
  • Possibly requiring the winning team each season (1 or 2 seasons a year) to retire their team. I really want to hear peoples thoughts on this one.
  • Occasionally taking a break from the main league to have a specialty league such as a draft league and the like.
  • Outside of regular seasons coaches can play games during the off season. Restricting it to 1 game a week and not playing the same coach without playing 2 others in between.
  • Small fee per season to get prizes and start funding my desire to get 40mm pitches! (unless people would like to keep it free and get nothing)

I look forward to hearing the communities thoughts. While I love ruling with an iron fist, I run these leagues because I love the game and want others to have a great time as well. Please share your thoughts on this as your ideas will make the league better!

• Like 1

As long as there has been Ordo, there has been Blood Bowl. In my tenure, I have seen many leagues and tournaments. The one thing that has always stood out to me is the constant reset of teams. I think it would be awesome to see teams littered with injuries, experienced players, and rookies. Those teams playing season after season would be cool to see, maybe even cool to play against (how can you go wrong with 500k+ in inducements.) :)

In my short tenure at Blood Bowl, I am really drawn to the player development angle. This is a fun element to me and even a rewarding one. I would like to see persistent teams supported as much as possible and to the degree that the community sees to be fit and fair.

I would not at all be bothered to have a league fee for investment and prizes. 40mm pitches would be pretty bitchin

On your comment about off-season games, are you imposing restrictions because you are proposing that stats and winnings from these games would apply to the persistent team? I presume that's the case, otherwise why mention it? If that is the case I would bow to the word of more experienced players on this.

I would hope that there are enough players to support multiple divisions and the league will hopefully grow. I think by the upcoming season, Fitz and I will have an additional newbie ready to jump in.

And just to take a moment to unabashedly suck-up, Shane you are doing this league commissioner thing really really well. Thanks for soliciting feedback. I know you may make decisions I don't individually love or that may be unpopular for the league, but I trust your decisions and look forward to more BB with you as commish.

'Squawk Out

• Like 2

On your comment about off-season games, are you imposing restrictions because you are proposing that stats and winnings from these games would apply to the persistent team? I presume that's the case, otherwise why mention it? If that is the case I would bow to the word of more experienced players on this.

Sorry, yes that is my plan.

not much to add to the more experienced voices on this.  But persistent teams would be interesting - especially if there was a tier or Class A and Class B groupings set up.  Allowing the elite teams to be in the higher grouping - and with a "training ground" for the novice teams and players  :biggrin: - maybe that is what your doing now.  Sorry I'm not in the current league…. but thats just my couple pennies.

-d

Persistence is what makes Blood Bowl.

Agreed. I the past it seemed that the community here in Portland never had the desire for a persistent league and that is why I am reaching out to folks about creating one. I think the important question I have is: are people willing to pay a small fee per season? I personally would not get any of the funds. The money raised would go to getting new supplies for the league to build up to what we need to really run a great 2 day tournament in the area, prizes, and anything left over would go to the Ordo general fund to pay bills and help other events.

$10 is OK with me. Are we restricted to one (I'll just call them tiers as that's pretty much what we're talking here) tier or can I have the option of moving my team up to the big boys bracket & starting a new team in the entry division? If yes I'd assume we could have the stipulation that your seasonal league fee would need to be paid for each league/tier?

I'm fine with paying per league.  So if, after this season, I wanted to move my current team up to the next division but also wanted to start a new team & play in the entry level I'd pay for each one separately.  At the end of the day all the money goes towards increasing the enjoyment of the game I'm playing so it seems to be a win/win.  Even if it splits into 3 tiers to accomodate a much higher TV I'm good with paying for each one.  4 might be pushing it though.  ;)

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Agree with michaels. I would say fee is $5-$10 per league, per season to go with normal club dues.

I like the idea of first season league and graduation league. Stipulation that TV is high enough to go to next season in case some one got trounced but wanted to continue team.

Could have league a week and league b week. Not sure if that would stress seasons too far out.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

If I can run 2 teams in running necro and possibily haflings.

I do miss being bashy with orks. Though after my game with Jay my bunnies did cause 3 causalities all from the throwers!

I am probably fine with allowing folks to play two teams, but I want to accommodate those who may not have as much time to play. How do people feel about doing 1 match every 2 weeks. Those wanting to play two teams can still play every week, but it also allows those who want to not play as much or who want to play other game systems as well to participate.