Questions about magnets, magnet sheets, cut inserts...

dalmer

Hello there,

Context so you know where my questions are coming from:

*  My current storage for 40k minatures is a whole bunch of shelving in our office.  The shelving is spilling over and I want to consolidate

*  Going with 7.5" x 14" stackable wooden trays that are 3" tall in order to be able to vertically store trays to free up shelving space

Questions:

*  If you've used flexible magnetic sheets, either solo or under insert trays, along with magnets under your miniatures' bases how did this work for you? 

*  What magnet size provided you with stability? 

*  If the magnetic sheets and magnets work well enough, do I even need to make MDF cut inserts to go over the magnetic sheeting in order to slot the bases in?

*  Or do just MDF cut inserts work well enough to keep the miniatures in place and I don't need magnets and magnetic sheeting?

Picture examples if I haven't described it accurately enough:

MagnetSteelInserts.jpg

Imagine magnets underneath 40k bases and I just plop a magnetic sheet in the bottom of the tray.  Then I just stick the miniatures in the tray.  Would it be sturdy enough to keep the miniatures upright, you think?

TrayInsert-Circle.jpg

Or should I / will I need MDF inserts to help assist in keeping the models slotted in?

Your thoughts, perspectives, experiences and insights are appreciated.

Thanks and stay safe,

don

• Like 1

I think if you could get a tin sheet attached to your box, it would be a better hold than a magnetic sheet. Those magnetic sheets eventually lose their pull and the rare earth magnets never attach to them as strongly as they do just to plain metal. Since you have a fairly large space to cover, I'd go with a tin sheet bottom.

• Like 1

Tin sheet bottom, copy that... thank you so much.  The company I'm looking at has flex-iron / steel sheets so I'll see how they stack up to tin.

Do you think I'd need to go the extra mile and put in the cut inserts, too?  Or would the tin sheet enable me to just stick models willy nilly in the boxes and they'd be sturdy enough to hold upright when I take the boxes off the shelves / put them back on the shelves?

Again, thank you for the helpful comments they're much appreciated.

And yes, the storage boxes will be stored flat, just stacked vertically.  Maybe a slight incline when I get on the step stool to put them away or take them down, but certainly nothing like putting them stacked on a luggage roller and taking them to a tourney or anything.

I am one of the few 40k players (it seems) that DOESN'T magnetize so I'll read up on that to get up to speed on what magnets most folks use under their bases to keep them upright.  You just saved me from having to buy 56 laser cut wood insert trays, so thank you very much!

Stay safe,

don

I've gotten tin sheets from hardware stores. It might be easier to find an online resource and order specific cuts. Or your flex-stuff could work. I just have never used that. I've used the magnetic sheets to cover GW plastic trays and that works okay, but no where as near as good when I have the models on metal trays or on the tin sheet. There is a place in portland not far from the moda center that sells rare earth magnets. I've been there once and picked up a set of small round ones. Not a bad price. You can get different sizes to handle those larger models.

I use this:

Iris® Scrapbook Chest

The wheels on the bottom and the tray on the top can be removed so that you can stack on more levels. Each one has a nice clear plastic tray with a lid that slides in. This way my figs won't collect dust and I can just pull out almost a whole army in just one tray.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD1

these have been my magnet of choice for putting under bases and some conversions (generally use smaller magnets for that). The small problem is because of the strength of the magnet, and the fact that they are not flush with the base and the tin bottom, they can pop off. You could always do a green stuff or cheaper putty to insure the base is flush with the bottom to keep that from happening as often.

• Like 1

Hello there,

Thanks for all the information so far, it's really appreciated.

Wanted to toss out an update:

*  I went to Michael's and found that they have their "Recollection memory box" on sale:  7 boxes for $ 10.00.  Measurements are roughly 7.5" wide by 11" long and over 3" high.  So if we're keeping track at home, the stackable tray I was looking at was 7.5" wide by 14" long and 3" high, at $ 8.00 per.  And I needed (56) of them due to the massive amount o' minis that I have.  So I bought (70) of the Michael's boxes for $ 100.00 and saved about $ 350.00 right there.

81DCAeK0WRL._SX425_.jpg

I then went to Home Depot and found galvanized steel shingles in 8" x 12" sheets for $ 0.95 each.   So I got (70) of those.  And where I was looking at (a "hobby" specialty store, both brick-and-mortar and online to compare costs) a sheet that's smaller costs almost twice as much, while magnetized rubber is over five times the cost.  So I reckon I saved a ton of money here, too.7689f1f5-1fbd-4849-a586-2007f94c3036_100

Since it's galvanized there's no problems with the magnetism and I just took them to a local business and they stamp cut them to perfect size for free.  I plopped a galv sheet at the bottom of one of the boxes and am good to go.  Now just gotta get a *ton* of rare earth magnets and start storing minis. 

I understand that numbers look daunting due to the volumes I'm purchasing at, but if you needed to do only a few of these, the box is $ 1.42 and the galv sheet is $ 0.95.  So under $ 3.00 to get a 7.5" x 11" storage box that on the first dry run will hold about (56) 25mm based-miniatures and I held the box upside down and no minis moved at all.  For my purposes, stacking (3) boxes high will give me 150+ minis stored at 7.5" width, which is a huge improvement over what that number of minis has currently for a footprint.

Onward and upward, thanks for the help and I'll be asking more questions I'm sure!

Stay safe,

don

• Like 5