Slayer-Fan123 on Dakkadakka.com

Lord Hanaur

Well, get the tournament up to 50, Fluger.  

TSHFT is in January and should easily clear 60 people.  6 rounds, winners get a cruise.  It's going to be awesome.  

Although consider this:  if we removed all threads and responses from Dakka members except those who have gone undefeated at a 50+ event...  There would be just a few of us.  I wonder where they would all go?

Again, there's no problem with stating opinions, but you ARE going to be challenged on them, and there's no real way to test theories against each other on the internet or even on Vassal.  

And, yes, winning (or doing WELL) at BIG events that are recent DOES mean more.  

I have taken a HUGE step back in offering suggestions in list building or playing even though I've won several Best General awards or placed highly at events TWO editions ago.  I don't consider myself anything other than a has been.  I'm comfortable stating that I believe that if I put the time into 7th that I put into 5th I'd probably be playing on top tables again, but I am NOT there right now.  Not even close.  

• Like 1

TSHFT is in January and should easily clear 60 people.  6 rounds, winners get a cruise.  It's going to be awesome.  

Again, there's no problem with stating opinions, but you ARE going to be challenged on them, and there's no real way to test theories against each other on the internet or even on Vassal.  

And, yes, winning (or doing WELL) at BIG events that are recent DOES mean more.  

I have taken a HUGE step back in offering suggestions in list building or playing even though I've won several Best General awards or placed highly at events TWO editions ago.  I don't consider myself anything other than a has been.  I'm comfortable stating that I believe that if I put the time into 7th that I put into 5th I'd probably be playing on top tables again, but I am NOT there right now.  Not even close.  

I don't care about being challenged.  That's a way of life it seems/   But I care a lot about insults to my friends.  THAT was my bigger burn.  Since when am I ever in the majority anyways?

As for TSHFT...  six rounds?  is that a typo?  Never done a six rounder.  So that's kinda interesting.

I don't see the big deal on winning big or winning small.  I dont feel especially more accomplished having done that at a 50+.  The events were on a bigger scale which was fun and i got to meet a lot of people (I like to network).  So that was cool.  But other than that it felt the same to me.  And no one is making a big deal out of it now or then.  So...

As for your skill: you are free to demure.  A lack of practice is probably a much bigger problem than your game acuity.  We can fix that...

I don't see the big deal on winning big or winning small.  I dont feel especially more accomplished having done that at a 50+.  The events were on a bigger scale which was fun and i got to meet a lot of people (I like to network).  So that was cool.  But other than that it felt the same to me.  And no one is making a big deal out of it now or then.  So...

We've talked about this in person, I like testing myself and seeing where I land.  Big events afford that more than anything else.

But, to your point, sure, they are insulting your opponents to a degree, but that's really the only option without some other concrete evidence.  

To whit, we both know that a good list + a bad player isn't a real challenge, so saying "I beat list X Y and Z at the last event" is meaningless unless we also know who's behind the wheel.  So, if you post something that I think is nonsense, I first question the lists you're playing against, THEN the opponent skill.  That's just a natural progression.  

When you were posting a while ago about how your melee Tau were cleaning up, I read those bat reps and thought that your opponents were all insane.  

It's the NATURAL reaction without being able to watch the games and SEE how it all comes together.  

I remember being relatively in your shoes arguing online with AP and others about the power of Orks and so much of the argumentation made no sense to me because I could see the board in my head, and their arguments seemed so divorced from the reality of the table top.   I can see your points a lot better now having watched you actually use them in person.  HOWEVER, I don't think you can tell me with a straight face that you couldn't use those same tactics and tricks with an Eldar army and absolutely CRUSH the Night Lords list you ran.  

Big events take away that element of discounting the poster's opponents (to a degree, I remember when Stelek and others argued that 5th ed orks were bad and tourney results didn't matter...) because the event has a bigger pool and usually attracts tougher players/lists.  Especially big events that draw people to them.  Last TSHFT had a bunch of the Frontline folks from CA come up to play.  

Finally, you can't have your cake and eat it to.  You OBVIOUSLY care about what people think on the internet or you wouldn't engage in these arguments on dakka.  So, instead of just saying your piece and then just kinda throwing up your hands and saying, "I can't change your mind!", try and change their minds by going to big, competitive events and doing well.  Either that or DON'T engage and understand that all internet arguing is pointless.  

As for your skill: you are free to demure.  A lack of practice is probably a much bigger problem than your game acuity.  We can fix that...

Nah, Sun Tsu was right:  Know your Enemy and Know Yourself.  I know my army, but I don't know enough of the meta to be able to do well.  More importantly, I haven't had enough reps against tournament caliber lists.  Too easy to make target priority mistakes when you don't REALLY know what's the most dangerous.  

Alas, I get so few opportunities to play.  :(  

Boom.  Winning!

Speaking of that, I finally heard back from AgentP on why the OFCC didn't contact me about the Ambassadorial tournament.  Ran into him at the tournament I took Adepta Sororits to last weekend.  Got a chance to kibitz with him about it.

Well, get the tournament up to 50, Fluger.  You have til December.  Apparently I need to win another damn big one just so dudes like this...  Dakka guy will listen.  They go mute, I'm told, unless I re-up my "Winners circle membership" at the 50+ club every quarter or something.  Le sigh.

Although consider this:  if we removed all threads and responses from Dakka members except those who have gone undefeated at a 50+ event...  There would be just a few of us.  I wonder where they would all go?

Or, LH, you could just chuckle at them like I do, knowing that you can and would beat them if it ever came down to it. However, WAAC gaming is stressful and annoying. I can measure my nerd d$ just as well as anyone else, but I feel little need to 'make them listen'. Present your point, if they disagree, or call you a fool, just smile at them and watch their face fall when you crush them. You WANT them to under-estimate you. In the end it just comes down to, you know how good you are, who cares if they do? You can always show up, play them, beat them, or at least give them a damn good game, and walk away knowing they now understand.  As a captain at OFCC, I had some comments made by other captains about the 'ork list' on our team (not knowing *I* was the ork player), saying that they shouldnt pair so and so up against it, as the ork player would lose in two turns. They did not understand how the list functioned, or the tactics it used. They only judged it as an ork list, with no green tide or giant bike deathstar. You shouldnt begrudge them that, that's all they know. after the round i carefully explained to him how the list worked, and his eyebrows went up and he understood. It was a take on orkz he'd never seen done competitively. Nothing he said was out of spite or arrogance or intended to be mocking, he was simply speaking from HIS experience. Let them learn, or ignore them and teach them when you get the chance.

Above all else, play to have fun, play for the love of the game, and play how you want to play. Don't let the ignorance of others get you down.

Nah, Sun Tsu was right:  Know your Enemy and Know Yourself.  I know my army, but I don't know enough of the meta to be able to do well.  More importantly, I haven't had enough reps against tournament caliber lists.  Too easy to make target priority mistakes when you don't REALLY know what's the most dangerous.  

Alas, I get so few opportunities to play.  :(  

But...  That's what I just said!  Kind of.  Well you could if i dragged my happy ass over!  I mean its not like it s that far from me.

We've talked about this in person, I like testing myself and seeing where I land.  Big events afford that more than anything else.

But, to your point, sure, they are insulting your opponents to a degree, but that's really the only option without some other concrete evidence.  

To whit, we both know that a good list + a bad player isn't a real challenge, so saying "I beat list X Y and Z at the last event" is meaningless unless we also know who's behind the wheel.  So, if you post something that I think is nonsense, I first question the lists you're playing against, THEN the opponent skill.  That's just a natural progression.  

When you were posting a while ago about how your melee Tau were cleaning up, I read those bat reps and thought that your opponents were all insane.  

It's the NATURAL reaction without being able to watch the games and SEE how it all comes together.  

I remember being relatively in your shoes arguing online with AP and others about the power of Orks and so much of the argumentation made no sense to me because I could see the board in my head, and their arguments seemed so divorced from the reality of the table top.   I can see your points a lot better now having watched you actually use them in person.  HOWEVER, I don't think you can tell me with a straight face that you couldn't use those same tactics and tricks with an Eldar army and absolutely CRUSH the Night Lords list you ran.  

Big events take away that element of discounting the poster's opponents (to a degree, I remember when Stelek and others argued that 5th ed orks were bad and tourney results didn't matter...) because the event has a bigger pool and usually attracts tougher players/lists.  Especially big events that draw people to them.  Last TSHFT had a bunch of the Frontline folks from CA come up to play.  

Finally, you can't have your cake and eat it to.  You OBVIOUSLY care about what people think on the internet or you wouldn't engage in these arguments on dakka.  So, instead of just saying your piece and then just kinda throwing up your hands and saying, "I can't change your mind!", try and change their minds by going to big, competitive events and doing well.  Either that or DON'T engage and understand that all internet arguing is pointless.  

Don't care what their reason might be or what progression they might follow.  If they have a legit way to attack me, fine, but insulting friends is not it.  They better not go cream puff on me and start casting aspersions at ghosts they don't know.  It's just flat rude.  And i am not going to go silent just because they don't find me qualified to speak on the matter at hand.  I am.

My melee Tau?  That's a blast from the past.  Man those were fun.  I won more than I deserved to but what a fun list.  Someone more recently suggested i try it again with the new Codex...  I probably won't though since I'm repainting some and I hope to try out some of the new toys soon.  No time to "play".  I gotta get myself in game shape with the Tau Empire.

When you propose something different, the reaction will be unaffected by Tournament performances at larger events.  The proof is already before you, so there's that.  But big events are fun, I just didn't like the way my paint destroyed my standings.  Really hurt.  Winning is hard enough.  =)

I have a three step process that has yet to fail me. It's great, multi-use and almost always effective.

1) Smile

2) Nod

3) Walk away

;)

Wise words, my friend.  Wise words.  It would probably save me a lot of frustration, but I also feel somewhat obligated (for the benefit of those who might actually latch on) to not allow these kind of people to dictate the narrative away from the creative solutions that are out there.  Some dogs are still young enough to learn some new tricks.

But yeah your solution isn't bad in any way ever.